1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RANT] Computer Animated Movies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JunkyardDwg, Apr 7, 2006.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

A list of the latest upcoming computer animated films:

The Wild: In this wild and outrageous computer-animated comedy-adventure, an odd assortment of animals from the New York Zoo – including a lion, a giraffe, an anaconda, a koala, and a squirrel – discover what a jungle the city can be when one of their own is mistakenly shipped to the wild and they embark on a dangerous mission to rescue him.

Over the Hedge: In the computer-animated comedy "Over the Hedge", Spring has sprung, and Verne and his woodland friends awaken from their long winter's nap to discover that a tall, green "thing" has mysteriously cropped up right through the middle of their home. Enter RJ, an opportunistic raccoon, who explains that the world beyond the hedge is the "gateway to the good life" where peculiar creatures called humans live to eat, rather than eat to live.

Cars: Lightning McQueen, a hotshot rookie race car driven to succeed, discovers that life is about the journey, not the finish line, when he finds himself unexpectedly detoured in the sleepy Route 66 town of Radiator Springs. On route across the country to the big Piston Cup Championship in California to compete against two seasoned pros, McQueen gets to know the town's offbeat characters who help him realize that there are more important things than trophies, fame and sponsorship.

Barnyard: When the farmer's away, all the animals play ... and sing, and dance. Eventually, though, someone has to step in and run things, a responsibility that ends up going to Otis, a carefree cow.

Happy Feet: Happy Feet is set deep in Antarctica. Into the land of Emperor Penguins, where each needs a heart song to attract a soul mate, a penguin is born who cannot sing. Our hero Mumble, son of Memphis and Norma Jean, is the worst singer in the world...however, as it happens, he is a brilliant tap dancer!.

Bee Movie: arry B. Benson, a bee who has just graduated from college, is disillusioned at his lone career choice: making honey. On a special trip outside the hive, Barry's life is saved by Vanessa, a florist in New York City. As their relationship blossoms, he discovers humans actually eat honey, and subsequently decides to sue us.

Open Season: A deer buddies up with a domesticated grizzly bear when the two animals are alone in the woods during hunting season. Meanwhile, Beth, a forest ranger who raised the bear, embarks on a desperate search to find her friend.

Notice something similar. They are all - with the excpetion of Cars - about animals. This is something that has been gnawing at me for some time. There is just so much untapped potential in computer animation, yet Hollwyood seems content with sticking with the same tired formula. I'm so tired of watching movies about animals that talk, or movies that have the same damn moral message just in a different wrapper.

The Incredibles proved that there is an audience for more mature animation, films that can reach children and adults alike. Yet even the reliable Pixar doesn't seem to be quite up to par with Cars. And with the exception of said Cars (I'm holding out hope) and Happy Feet (it's penguins, how can you go wrong), every freaking computer animated movie coming out in the next year or two looks exactly the same and looks like crap. Why can't we get more films like The Incredibles or even Final Fantasy: Spirit's Within (story may have completely dull but it was still watchable)? Is it too much to ask to see an animated movie that doesn't feature a talking cow, or some other barnyard or zoo animal?

2. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

It was the same with hand-drawn animation.

Until somebody takes a chance and makes a BLOCKBUSTER grown-up cartoon (The Incredibles and Toy Story were still marketed toward children), the studios are just going to continue going with their tried and true kiddie money makers.

3. droxford

droxford Member

The reason they animate animals is because it appeals to a wider demographic audience. Therefore, they can sell more of their product.

That's the theory, at least.

Look at Disney movies. They've made a movie depicting a Native American hero (Pocahontas).... an Asian hero (Mulan)... a handicapped hero (Hunchback of Notre Dame).... an Eskimo/Animal hero (Brother Bear).... see a pattern here? They're trying to increase their market and appeal to other demographics and cultures. But when they make one movie about a specific culture, they risk isolating other cultures.

As opposed to humans, animals aren't subject to immediate cultural stereotyping. One look at Mr. Incredible and you know that he's white. Does that immediately appeal to a black audience? Probably not, but Frozone did. What about the Asian audience? Cultural definitions become blurred when animals or inanimate objects (cars, toys, etc.) are brought to life. In doing so, they appeal to more people, and can sell more product.

4. JunkyardDwg

Well mabye A Scanner Darkly will buck the trend..though thats not computer animated. In any case, I have no problem wanting to appeal to a broader audience, but these movies lately seem to be the same damn thing. Is The Wild really any different than Madagascar. What about Barnyard compared to Home on the Range. Maybe this is more directed toward any (American) animation house that is not named Pixar. Cause while Pixar has created characters and stories that trascend cultural barriers, they haven't ventured into familiar waters. I'll say that I don't have a problem with animals as characters, when those characters don't feel like a retread. Finding Nemo was an excellent film, as was Curious George. But just look at the list above and tell me what is so vastly different between them. There did come a time when audiences began to demand more out of cgi popcorn blockbusters (I think it was last summer), so hopefully that point will occur in computer animation. Cause this recycling of the same ole sh** is becoming tired and annoying.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Like what Drox said, it's much harder to draw a human story without offending or alienating an ethnic group. American animation have always targeted children as the core audience. Who wants to watch a "family movie" with controversy surrounding it?

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I love em.

Cartoon actors = no egos. No benifer. No people magazine. Less movie stars on ESPN. We all win.

Plus the movies are great.

7. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

When making movies with humans, there's this theory called the "uncanny valley" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley, which has resulted in a fear of making CG movies with characters that look too human.

But like any other genre of movies, they would rather stick to the same old tired formula that works and have another guy take the financial risk of trying something new. I was just remarking how "into the wild" is almost exactly like madagascar (kind of like how monsters inc. had the same plot as Ice age).

8. monkinamr2

monkinamr2 Contributing Member

9. JunkyardDwg

That's an interesting theory and probably one reason Polar Express didn't do quite as well. I think that's the only computer animated movie I've seen where I was freaked out, at times, by the characters.

I dunno though, I just don't buy the whole argument that American animation uses less human characters for fear of alienating/offending audiences. Obviously that doesn't occur in live action films, so why shouldn't the same hold true here. Plus, Shrek 1 and 2 and Incredibles - as massive hits - proved you can create successful movies featuring human characters. And don't forget Wallace and Grommit as well as Corpse Bride. But as I said before, I could care less if whether its human, animals or something entirely different, I just want a good story. I don't think that's too hard to ask. But apparently, Pixar is the only studio that seems to get that.

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Even those films, though, don't really project characters as human per se - Incredibles comes closest, although superheroes with a very cartoony art style still kind of stays out of that boundary.

Out of all those films, the only one that comes close to a real 'human' portrayal of characters is Final Fantasy...and it bombed.

Anime is big, and it has more of a human touch...but in a different way. There just isn't enough precedent for a one time film taking a serious look at a storyline using animation to be a success. As such, it may be too big of a risk.

As for that list above...well, blame Pixar. They made the genre (and the storylines) hugely popular, so like everything else in the world, everyone else is going to try and cash in. I'm just happy Pixar (and in some respects Dreamworks) makes good films.

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I thought Final Flight of the Osiriswas great, in fact not only the best of the Animatrix, but the best of the Matrix universe period. Maybe some are affected by this "uncanny valley" and some are not. I think there is certainly room for human based, adult targeted animation: look no further than Ralph Bakshi. I don't know that they have the market that kiddie pictures have, but they could certainly make good films that I would be interested in seeing.