1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ranking Western Contenders by "Contender Record" So Far

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Jan 1, 2020.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

In the west, I think we match well against the other contenders. The one exception is maybe the Fakers. Maybe because we haven't played them yet. Matchup wise, who do we put on AD. Transition D against AD aside, if they start posting him up, could be a tall order. HOU could perhaps 3pt shooting to outscore them in a series. Things slow down in the playoffs, have to see.

On the seeding itself. Pre season coming in, with AD, people projected Lakers to be in the hunt. They asked: "well who will get bumped"?

Lakers and Mavs are in top 8 (didn't make last year). Replacing the 'dark horse' GSW (injury) and disappointing Portland, who are outside looking in.

#21 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    DeBeards likes this.
  2. JW86

JW86 Member

Sure, but given how the media has been you know Harden won’t win the MVP nor get credit. There’s the Silver proposed changes that don’t do anything worthy - crushing my hopes of 1-16 seeding.

Referees making some of the most ridiculous calls in years. Games taking way too long w/ replay and odd jump ball after challenges. Taking points away minutes later has never been this high.

Uncle of Kawhi’s dealing with Raptors that should be investigated and leaving a bad taste in Canada’s team winning that trophy. For me at least, since I’ve lost respect for Kawhi.

The awful hot takes taken to another level and commentary is on my nerves more so than ever with senile old farts trying to understand what guy’s names are.

Kerr and Warriors exposure as protected drama queens and now tankers not being called out, making their fall from glory not as delicious as it should be.

The Dondic love vs. Harden hate exposing the bias. All of this as well as my lack of faith in MDA that he can adjust in the playoffs, but mostly Fertitta’s changes to our franchise which spell doom, has me at an all-time low interest in the NBA.

I can definitely appreciate Stern now more than ever.

pippsux, Corrosion and peleincubus like this.
  3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think narrative is always an important X factor people never consider. The NBA is a highly manipulated league. So remember that for the playoffs when matchups seem to magically gravitate towards each other.

So far I perceive two things that are coalescing which the media might speak into being:

1. The two LA teams need to play each other in the playoffs.
    2. People really want to see Houston and the Clippers in a rivalry series as well.

If both of these things are going to happen, the Rockets should try their hardest for our series with LA to be the second of those things to happen.

Lawlruschang, clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  4. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Playoffs are going to be exciting. Please God let all teams be healthy come playoffs.

D-rock likes this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

True. It was hyperbole anyway. But playing Golden State in the second round changed the entire playoff race.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets beat yet another good team...it’s embarrassing how much the casual fans on here start calling the season a wrap after they lose to GS or don’t blow out some mediocre team crying and overreacting like they just started watching basketball yesterday

D-rock and Lawlruschang like this.
  7. napalm06

January 11th update Power Rankings by "Contender Record" (top 6 teams in each conference):

1. Clippers (9-6, 5-4 West)
    T-2 Rockets (7-5, 3-3 West), Nuggets (7-5, 3-3 West)
    3. Lakers (8-7, 6-4 West)
    4. Dallas (6-9, 3-5 West)
    5. Jazz (4-7, 2-3 West)

The Jazz are so hyped in Salt Lake right now. Fool's gold I say. Look at who their recent wins are against. Clippers are the only contender in the last 8.

JayGoogle, Spacemoth and yixiixiy like this.
  8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Im not quite sold on Utah being as good as the other contenders in the west since their defense is not quite as good as it was but bogdonavic worries me a bit. He is like gallinari but actually clutch. He can shoot right over the top of our forwards. They lead the league in 3pt % also. I look forward to matching up with them

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

With more than 40 games to go, it is a sneak preview at best.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

OKC and Memphis will be doing well and you know, Spurs will make a run because Pop is telling them to.

DeBeards likes this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm scared of the Jazz the least of this bunch that is for sure. I just don't think Mitchell is that superstar player that's going to lead a team to the Finals...but he's more of one of those very good players that will make it to the All-star every year.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Why Dallas so low?

The white Harden crowd be screaming reverse racisms.

pippsux likes this.
  13. napalm06

Guess the white Harden should win more games against contenders!

D-rock and Invisible Fan like this.
  14. napalm06

Well, yes. That's kind of how power rankings work.

harold bingo likes this.
  15. napalm06

2/2/20 update against Top 6 in the East and top 7 (now including OKC) in the West:

1. Nuggets 12-7
    2. Clippers 12-8
    3. Lakers 12-9
    4. Rockets 11-9
    5. Jazz - 7-11
    6. Mavericks 8-13
    7. Thunder 7-14

DeBeards likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member