1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rank The Coaches Who Have Interviewed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, May 21, 2016.

1. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Maybe, but Harden has a good relationship with Thibs from the USA teams, so I don't think having a strong defensive minded coach would automatically get a veto from harden. In any case, it's on the front office to do their due diligence and interview the most qualified candidates, and I think in this case they dropped the ball

2. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Billy Donovan available? No, we don't need him. Harden is a superstar :rolleyes:

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm a huge Morey fan but I'm scratching my head over what's going on over there right now. I'd have love to see the Rockets interview the following:

JVG
    Tom Thibodeau
    Luke Walton
    Scott Brooks
    Frank Vogel
    Mark Jackson
    Dave Joerger
    Lionel Hollins

Instead, they interview:

Kenny Smith
    Jeff Hornacek
    Sam Cassell
    David Blatt
    Chris Finch
    Stephen Silas
    Mike D'Antoni
    Ettore Messina
    Rex Kalamain
    Jeff Bzdelik
    James Borrego (scheduled)
    Adrian Griffin (scheduled)

And D'Antoni is reportedly the favorite. I don't know what to say. I think I like Ettore Messina or Stephen Silas the most out of the current candidates but that's obviously just based on what I've read about them. I mean, I guess nobody saw Popovich or Kerr coming either, but damn. Please let whoever gets the job be a pleasant surprise. I suspect D'Antoni won't surprise us. We've seen what he can do.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I wonder why they haven't given Messina a 2nd interview?

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rather have a Silas/Griffin combo. Hollings lost the Nets players.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

me too!

griffin is being courted to reunite with thibs with the wolves, but he won't have the title of associate HC with thibs in place. we'd be the only team where he could keep his title of AHC.

silas would bring player management and development, as well as offense from don nelson and steve clifford's (aka JVG) defense. griffin would reinforce thibs' (aka JVG) defense.

it would be great for the 3rd coach to be strong offensively, and have some experience since silas and griffin are relatively new. maybe elston turner? he might be out of a job with the grizz and has plenty of experience under adelman.

7. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Sam Cassell- Decent interest, could surprise if anyone understands what he is saying (I kid, I kid) Rocket link, solid resume as a NBA player but light as an assistant

David Blatt-Zero interest... see King James Ego, you really think Harden would listen

Chris Finch-Zero interest- we need fresh face

Stephen Silas-Fair amount of interest, respected and could work with right staff

Mike D'Antoni- Negative interest, We MUST have defense, joke he is Les's boy

Ettore Messina-Fair amount of interest, could be the answer but he'd have to reach Harden, can ACTUALLY coach a game and draw plays.

Rex Kalamain- Mild interest good looking resume as an assistant, started as a scout worked his was up (STRONG interest if KD would come but that not happening)

Jeff Bzdelik-Zero interest in a guy that can't even win in college (loser at WF)

James Borrego (scheduled) Zero interest, He needs more time before he gets the top chair

Adrian Griffin (scheduled) Zero Interest, He needs more time

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Are we doing the NBA version of this?
    The Rooney Rule is a National Football League policy that requires league teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operation jobs. It is sometimes cited as an example of affirmative action, though there is no quota or preference given to minorities in the hiring of candidates.[1][2][3] It was established in 2003, and variations of the rule are now in place in other industries

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't want to - Personally to avoid frustration, and spamming of this August board, I will reserve my whining to actual hirings, and not to potential hirings.

:)

DD

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Spot on bro, repped

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Don't blame Morey on the interviews. Morey was pushing for JVG/Vogel etc and Les wasn't interested. This is ALL on Les right now.

Morey is clearly trying to make a save by getting Silas in front of Les and seeing if Les will bite. Looks like Morey has a chance here to get a guy HE likes.

Clearly Morey feels D'Antoni isn't the guy for the job. If MDA gets hired because of Les then that will be a big mistake. Owner/GM/Coach have to have an aligned vision. In this case Morey would be GM for a coach he didn't want to hire AND MDA will know it and be able to circumvent Morey right to Les. Bad element there.

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Thibs on top of them all. Didn't even interview.
    Then it's:
    #1 JVG. Didn't even interview and he wanted the job.
    #2 Vogel. Didn't even interview and Morey jockeyed to be the 1st to interview him.
    #3 Joerger. Didn't even interview.
    #4 David Blatt
    #5 Kenny Smith
    #6 Sam Cassell
    #7 Ettore Messina
    #8 Stephen Silas
    #9 Jeff Bzdelik
    #10 Rec Kalamain
    #11 James Borrego
    #12 Adrian Griffin
    #13 Mike Antoni
    #14 Chris Finch

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

I pretty much agree with this.

Except I would move D'Antoni even farther down the list.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

No offense but I wouldn't take what you say regarding coaching seriously. You lack the ability and foresight to tell a good coach from a bad one.

Here was your response when I told you that Billy Donovan was a top coach, tactician and strategist at the very start of this season.

What do you say now?

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ettore Messina. We need someone that knows how a healthy franchise truly runs.

Scott Borrego, my apologies to him for making fun of his last name. I didn't know you wor for the Spurs.