1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rank the 2007 NBA draft class

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by desi tmac91, Oct 9, 2010.

1. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Its been 3 years since the draft. Rank the top players from the 07 class.

1. Kevin Durant - do I even have to explain this?
    2. Greg Oden - despite the injuries, Oden is still very talented and among one of the best low post defenders and rebounders in the league. If this was a redraft though I may have ranked him lower.
    3. Joakim Noah - Noah was the consensus pick by fans to be the bust of the 2007 draft, but now is considered one of the best big men in the game and an invaluable piece to the Chicago Bulls. Noah is the best rebounder in the league after Dwight Howard and a tenacious defender.
    4. Al Horfod - Horford and Gasol put up similar statistics but Al gets the nod because of his superior rebounding and offensive tools.
    5. Marc Gasol - we see draft night steals every year but how often do you find a big man like Marc Gasol late in the second round? Marc is solid defensively and almost averaged a double-double for the Grizzlies last season.
    6. Aaron Brooks - Aaron is one of the purest scoring point guards in the game with the longest shooting range. Brooks was a borderline All-Star last year leading the Rockets in scoring until the arrival of Kevin Martin, he does lack defensively and a poor playmaker but it doesn't take away his offensive ability.
    7. Carl Landry - Carl MANdry as he was called here in Houston, Carl was mostly certainly a 'man' as he hustled harder than anyone on the court and finished plays strong. Landry had loads of tools offensively, mostly notably his ability to hit jumpers from 15 feet out. However, Landry was a horrific rebounder and mediocre defender, which might be why Morey decided to ship him out when he did. Still he gets the nod here at #7.
    8. Rodney Stuckey - one of the few bright spots on the Detroit Pistons last season, Stuckey was described by many as a poor man's (very poor) Dwayne Wade early on his career for his canny ability to take it to the hole and finish. Like Brooks he could use some improvements in the assist department.
    9. Thaddeus Young - Thad is well built all-around SF, he shot the ball well last season (averaging 14 points in 32 minutes) and proved to be a very solid rebounder and defender. He didn't get much publicity on the 76ers but he could be one of those 'glue guys' on a playoff team, which Philly has a good chance of becoming.
    10. Glen Davis - surprised? Well if you watched the Boston Celtics in their past 3 playoff runs, you really shouldn't be. Davis was a crucial part of those teams. Whenever Kevin Garnett sat down for a breather or was injured, Davis stepped and produced and even hit a game winning shot against the Orlando Magic in the 2009 Eastern Conference semi finals.

Honorable mentions: Spencer Hawes, Ramon Sessions, Jeff Green, Wilson Chandler

Draft class grade: B - I'd give this class a lower grade but we did get one star (potentially 2 if Oden ever gets healthy) out of it and how often do we see so many solid centers in one draft class?

1 person likes this.
  2. delishman

delishman Member

Jeff Green is easily in the top 10.

3. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

I vastly disagree with putting Oden above Horford, Noah, Gasol, etc. I agree with all your ranking except Oden wouldn't be top 10 (how could he be if he only played 80 games over the last 3 years?) and I would of put Jeff Green at number 9.

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I like Green but his poor performance in the playoffs dropped him out of the top 10 for me. He could easily make it but he's on the outside looking in at least in my opinion.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Greg Oden at #2 LOL

not even top 10

and Jeff Green is certainly better than Bib Baby, Stuckey and Thadd Young

6. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Oden may be injury prone but when he's playing he's easily a top 3 player in this draft class. He may be stale offensively but you can't deny his impact defensively.

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

End discussion.

1 person likes this.
  8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The guy hardly ever plays. His impact defensively is that he commits a lot of fouls

1 person likes this.
  9. YaosDirtyStache

Worst list ever sir.

Youre a knocking Green bc he didnt play too well in the playoffs against a giant frontcourt? Awesome. You tend to forget how he stretches the D, plays pretty good D against 3 positions, and can hit shots from anywhere...

Yet you ride odens 10 incher because he has played good defense in the two half seasons he decided to not get injured in?

LAUGHABLE at best.

Out of all draft ranks I rank yours last.

1 person likes this.
  10. J-Man

J-Man Member

ODEN SUCKS AARON BROOKS SHOULD BE NUMBER 2

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm trying to say. I'm ranking players based on their abilities and production, injuries are not a factor.

12. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

Fantasy world much?

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Damn Sam Bowie must be high on your all time list then.

14. Rockets_4_life

Overall the 2007 class was not as strong as advertise...

My top 10 from that class:
    1. Kevin Durant
    2. Al Hordford
    3. Marc Gasol
    4. Aaron Brooks
    5. Jeff Green
    6. Joakim Noah(the most overrated player in the NBA)
    7. Carl Landry
    8. Rodney Stucky
    9. Thaddeus Young
    10. Spencer Hawes

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Luis Scola belongs on that list.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

he was a rookie that season, but not in that draft class

17. darmor90

darmor90 Member

Wasn't George Hill in this draft?

18. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

...and Yao Ming....oooo burn.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. Durant
    2. Gasol
    4. Noah
    5. Brooks
    6. Oden
    7. Horford
    8. Stuckey
    9. Landry
    10.Young

20. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

If you don't like my list, I don't care. You don't have to keep attacking me. I thought this was worth a discussion but whatever.

2 people like this.