1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Randy Bullock

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Apr 28, 2012.

1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Could be worse. They could have taken a punter in the 3rd.

2. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

WTF is a bearkat?

What year did you graduate? Klein Collins '05 here.

3. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Worth it especially if it means we don't have to sign aging vets anymore.

4. thething

thething Contributing Member

What makes this guy better than Zuerlein? It seemed like Zuerlein had a bigger leg and was more accurate. I would have taken him.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The fact that we know Bullock can handle pressure. It's one thing to make those long kicks in front of 1,000 fans in a D-II game; it's quite another to make them in nationally-televised games with rabid crowds of 80,000+ on a week-in, week-out basis.

6. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

THis and he went to the same university as our headcoach.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

There is no past history of favoritism displayed by Kubes towards players that graduated from A&M.

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Was at the game, and I'm just starting to feel bad for the guy. He truly sucks and always looks scared going out there. Fans were going at him in the lower bowl.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did he suck last year when he was 30-35 including 7-8 40+ and 4-5 50+?

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

That was then, this is now.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He has one bad year and one pretty good year under his belt. If this ends up being another bad year, it would make last year look like the aberration and I think you'd need to look into getting a new kicker.

13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Exactly. He's a convenient scapegoat, and on the list of things to worry about with this team, he's nowhere near the top of it. Across the league, there have already been more missed PAT's this year than last. As for today, he looked like a pro-bowler compared to the other guy. I suspect the new turf may have been an issue, there's really no other way to explain what happened to both kickers today. Is Randy great? No. Is he bad? He's really not. It might seem that way, but the numbers simply aren't that terrible.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Could have grabbed Justin Tucker as an undrafted FA and instead we used a 5th on this POS. Spent a 5th rd pick for, 1st year IR, 2nd year terrible, 3rd year good, 4th year so far terrible. A few guys drafted after Bullock.

WR Marvin Jones
    RB Alfred Morris
    OL J.R. Sweezy

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think the main issue is that when you use an actual draft pick on a kicker... you expect more.

He's inconsistent on kickoffs, he's below average on the middle-distance FG's... and he's been atrocious on the PAT's this year.

I guess we can't grade him on "high pressure kicks" as he hasn't had too many of them yet... but I wouldn't bet on him getting "better" when the pressure allofasudden gets to a fever pitch (unless he's the Joe Flacco of kickers).... and that's really the only aspect of a kicker I find to be important (can they make middle-distance kicks when the games are on the line).

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Bullock had a better year than Justin Tucker did last year. Again, he's not as bad as people make him out to be. He's a middle of the pack kicker, but he was better than Tucker was last season. Seems like that should count for something. Having said that, he needs to get better this year, or needs to be replaced. No argument there.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Justin Tucker didn't cost you a 5th and overall has had a much better career so far.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Tucker has also had his fair share of high pressure kicks... can't really fully evaluate Randy till he starts getting some of those (but based on what he's shown thus far, there's nothing to suggest he'll be better at those times).

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Something every Aggie has had to overcome. He should still be able to kick an extra point.

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Better? Yeah. Much better? Depends on your definition of the word "much" I guess. Again, going off of their most recent work, they've actually been pretty similar. I'm not really defending Randy, he needs to kick better, I'm just saying that he's not as bad as people around here like to think he is. You can tell from BOB's body language that he is running out of patience. If Bullock doesn't get it going, he'll be gone soon enough, but he'll be kicking somewhere in the NFL for a long time.