1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Random Trade Ideas 2021-22

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jun 3, 2021.

1. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

We have the best fan base website. So blessed to see @Clutch ask these questions to rookies.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm not opposed to this at all. Kemba is 2022-23 - $9mil (last year) on that contract then UFA. We move up with 11th. Tibs gets a defensive NWaba, and a 3&D in Garrison (very low risk & favorable contract).

The deal is technically fair to both. I think one outside contingency is, Knicks (are not hiding the fact) that they are trying to use their 11th to move up to get Ivey. They may fail to do so, but they really want a point guard (preferably with upside). Even though I feel it's fair deal, I think with bias Knicks might value that 11th more.

I don't know if Garrison alone will satisfy Knick's guard appetite. Unpopular opinion, but to beat those reservations, I would just throw in KPJ. Then their guard thirst is actually quenched. Knicks is one of the few teams where KPJ is an upgrade, and we may not even have to throw in Garrison.

[​IMG]

#2622 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    Bo6 and jcmoon like this.
  3. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i would do this in a heartbeat, but i don't think thibs would be able to handle kpj.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  4. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I think he's better suited for a playoff team like the Hawks

saleem, JamalP. and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Delete

#2625 Rudyc281, Jun 17, 2022
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

It's like Wood in some ways. By the time a team realized what that ceiling is, other teams may have as well. It's knowing when to sell early when there's still doubt.

If by next year KPJ is still what he is and plateau, other teams will know also.

jcmoon likes this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

KPJ is not available for the 10th pick. We will not be getting the Knicks pick for that poo poo platter. You guys are seriously overrating our scrubs and undervaluing KPJ. Stone, Lebron, Curry, etc. agree on KPJ. He is a stud.

randerson and Shark44 like this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

Washington has the 10th. I think you meant the 11th right? Some people value KPJ more and that's fine. I think he can have a career in the NBA, I just don't see him ascending to Lebron/Curry status. We just have different opinions.

If we're purely talking draft status. KPJ was a 30th. A 30th for a 11th, that's not too shabby.

jcmoon likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I didn’t say KPJ was Lebron/Curry status, but they are both really high on him. KPJ was drafted 30, because of personality issues not talent. The Rockets have proven to have faith that his mental issues are being addressed and he is maturing. He is only 22. His talent is through the roof and I don’t think the Rockets would get rid of a potential all-star for a long shot at 10 or 11. His 3 pt shooting was amongst the best in the league. His defense has improved to above average to elite. He and Green are really tight. Guys hating on KPJ are just a bunch of old farts that are letting their emotional prejudices get in the way of objective basketball thinking.

randerson and Plowman like this.
  10. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i've been saying for a while we need to trade him. unless he's willing to play for 10 million a year max, assuming he continues what he was doing with no flare ups. He's a bench player, not a starter. Handles aren't good enough. overrated defense. sucks in transition. a fool would pay him like 15 million a year or whatever outlandish contract he wants. Christopher is just as good and cheap.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

Ok i'll bite. What shooting splits and defensive metrics next year would you say justifies him worth keeping? There was a thread on his defense not long ago; think the advance metrics had him near 'neutral' league average (slightly below).

I'm not trying to single you out or anything. It's that we hear words like potential and growth. In the raw box score stats, he's been mostly the same. Maybe more advance metrics can shed more light. I'm just hoping us fans put some actual 'measurable' around what's considered a success for an upcoming 4th year player.

Last year i put the question out for Green's ppg prediction for rookie year, the answer i got was some caveats but 16ppg; and for the most part he reached that.

I don't know who people compare to KPJ, if it's his draft class, then guys like Darius Garland (another guard, who also was SG then became PG) is about to be their franchise cornerstone.

#2631 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 17, 2022
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Gordon and Matthews for Green, filler and #23.

#17+#26+Tate for#11.
    #23 and the Mil pick for #13.

#3-Banchero
    #11-Sochan
    #13-Eason

Alp/Garuba/Boban
    Banchero/Sochan
    Eason/KMJ
    Green/Jaygup
    KPJ/Nix

jcmoon likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I am not a stat hound, but the performances after the all-star break showed incredible improvement on both sides of the ball. I’ve watched every game the Rockets have played the last two years and I have seen steady improvement. Maybe I’m too optimistic, but the blind hate for KPJ on this board is insane. Fan bases are much more emotional than players and team scouts. I could see someone thinking Ivey is a better prospect than KPJ, but some of these insane trades for 10-11 show a lack of basketball acumen. The same people who were trumpeting Wood’s 20/10 (which wasn’t true) are ignoring what Green AND KPJ did after Wood sat.

D-rock likes this.
  14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Rockets get:
    2023 1st rd pick (via CLE)
    2022 2nd rd pick (via rockets)

Pacers get:

Nothing against Banchero, I just don't know that he's a guaranteed better nba player than guys like Ivey or Murray. So, if you can get a player as good and future assets it's a good deal.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Make it Pacers 2023 unprotected instead of Cle pick and I might do it.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I, of course, thought about that but I can't see one of these bottom feeders trading what is essentially 2 high draft picks for 1 when that 1 isn't a guaranteed star.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Super dumb trade from a KPJ hater obviously

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree but the other package isn’t good enough for the Rockets. I’d go ahead and draft Banchero and if Murray is available at six and Indy is willing I might do it.

pmac likes this.
  19. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Gordon for Korkmaz, Reed, and Philly's 1st and one of their 2nd round picks this year is a no-brainer.

I tried playing around to see where we could trade John Wall to, and man...he just makes so much money it's virtually impossible. Here's one I like though:

Wall + 17, 26 for Kemba, Randle, and Taj Gibson and the Knicks pick at 11. Plus two future second round picks.

Kemba and Taj are expiring and I think both would be useful in our players development. Randle wouldn't be a good fit here, but his contract is much easier to flip to a contending or playoff team for more assets/picks

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I'd do KPJ + 17+ 26 for Kemba + 11

maybe even throw in Tate... this is contingent on Daniels dropping to 11 though.