1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2017-18

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Garbage in, garbage out.....

After the disappointment last year in the playoffs, and new coaching change, I wonder if the Toronto Raptors would be willing to trade Ibaka. You could do an Anderson for Ibaka swap. Raptors new coach, Nurse, likes offense and perhaps Anderson would be a fit.

Ibaka has declined. No question. But probably would be more useful on the Rockets than Anderson is right now.

Just a thought.

2. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

I read somewhere they were shopping him or he was looking to get out. This time of year, who knows what to believe.

3. Garner

Garner Member

Inaka has fallen off a cliff, but I love this idea.

Not knowing Ibakas contract (mobile), You’d likely have to sweet the pot somehow, but I think this is a great move.

We found ourselves having to put PJ as the center this year. Defensive capela depth, which ibaka could provide, would, by extension, increase our wing depth, in the event we otherwise kept the Ariza, PJ, Luc crew together.

This, to me, is a great consultation upgrade after the big fish fall off the board.

Good post.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Most unlikely with Ujiri at the helm in Toronto.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah it's a tricky draft. Players that could go at 46 can also go 28 or early 2nd round because there are so many graded about the same. Many seem graded as 89 or 88.

Guys with question marks like Grayson Allen have been tagged as mid 2nd round, but have climbed to late 1st. Melton has questions because of investigation. Billy Preston went to play overseas but put up anemic numbers which could land him near 46. If teams want to take a risk on a big man in the first round, Mitchell Robinson will be their guy.

D-rock, BigMaloe and saleem like this.
  6. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

"can't play Kanter"

7. hongxingli

hongxingli Contributing Member

sweeten it with a pick? this solved few of our issues

8. saleem

No harm in trying to add a low future first rounder with Anderson. Ibaka isn't worth more than that. I still don't think that it will be enough to get it done. Try and send him to Atlanta with multiple picks, in return for a player who has a small contract who they don't need. Someone akin to Nanu.

9. saleem

I think Morey should take steps to try and get a good player or even two of them. I like Hartenstein, but Metu is certainly better than him. Hartenstein plus the 46th pick might give the Rockets the opportunity to grab him. I would be happy if the Rockets can buy a mid 30's pick, and acquire Brunson as a backup 1. Houston has no cap room, so it might be worth going this route, instead of ending up with a Euro-stash. However, I do have some serious doubts about the quality of scouting. Recent picks eg Dekker and Nanu haven't panned out at all. Trez on the other hand was pretty good.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, Metu would be great for the Rockets. Capela, Metu and then Nene as 3rd string. Menu on a rookie contract
    to offset what Capela will probably get this summer. Most mock drafts that I have seen have Metu or Rawle Alkins
    going to Rockets at #46. I’m fine with either.

There is always the chance a team before the #46 hoards centers like the 76ers did in a few drafts.
    Nerlens Noel, Okafor, Embiid, R Holmes....some may be considered PF’s; but that will be the sought after
    combo player teams are going for nowadays. So Metu might not be there at #46. Billy Preston isn’t even
    seen on some mock drafts. #60 the last pick of the draft in one mock. Shake Milton is anywhere from early
    2nd round to not being drafted. Crazy draft prospects this summer.

I would like CP3 and Harden to rest more during the season. Because Eric Gordon is too stiff, it was hard
    to play Eric Gordon without one of Harden or CP3. Gerald Green helped some but gets bumped off path
    to easy on drives thru the paint. I salivate on a Rawle/Gordon dual attack game which would help rest CP3
    and Harden. It would be like a potential Mitch Ritchmond/Shelvin Mack combo attack. Rawle has a body that
    can absorb contact well while driving. If Eric Gordon is gone I see GG being first off the bench initially with Rawle
    going back and forth from G-league to team. By mid season possibly leap frogging GG. Rawle being the better
    driver than GG.

Curious who you might prefer at #46 for Rockets @D-rock and @BigMaloe. Not sure when Rockets draft thread
    will come out. 5 more days more or less.

D-rock and BigMaloe like this.
  11. saleem

I saw a bit more of Rawle. He is skillful, smart and strong, but I feel he is a bit slow. Hasn't he had an injury too? He is smarter than Preston for sure though. Is Svi a safer bet because of a lack of injuries? Rawle has more variety than Svi, but I have concerns about him. Bonga lacks lateral quickness, otherwise I would be more inclined to take a chance at him, despite his raw skill set. I wouldn't mind if the Rockets asked him to stay another year in Europe. Kostas A. might be a wild card, but he is more likely to go in the 50's.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not sure Svi will be there. I just put down guys that probably go a pick or two and after the Rockets pick. I’m being lazy and just going with mock draft while knowing a little about the players. If as I falls to #46.....possibly select.

Bonga would be draft and stash guy for those thinking the Rockets get LeBron and have to pay Capela big bucks.
    Ro Kuruks is another draft and stash (small forward).

13. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

I really question Kawhi's makeup. No one who wants to win leaves San Antonio. He's already the #1 guy on that squad, so he's not leaving to become the #1 player like Kyrie did. San Antonio is a perennial Finals contender, so he's not leaving to create a better chance of winning a Ring. Either LA club (where he is rumored to want to go) is in the West, so he's not leaving to get to a less competitive conference.

So what is his motivation? Get out from under Pop? What player who has the right work ethic and mindset wants to get out from under Pop?

I think there's something wrong with him that we don't have visibility into.

14. saleem

Svi is down at 49 and even 55 in another mock draft. Ro looks too slow to me. I would rather take Kostas on a 2 way contract than him. I'm ok with Shake at 46. Rawle is superior to him no doubt, as so is Preston.
    Another mock has a 7'1" 260 pound slow moving center from Iceland named Hlinason to the Rockets at 46. Hartenstein is better than him. I would be very disappointed at Morey for going after these "safe" bets. We need athleticism with a decent skill set. No need for another Zhou either.

#834 saleem, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is very perplexing. But, I think it is obvious that "the uncle" is pulling the strings. He is keeping Kawhi away from the Spurs. It is like he is gaslighting Kawhi.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Personally I would like to see Jarred Vanderbilt. Left handed also seems to be a bonus because it’s different to guard. I think his ability to be a secondary ball-handler/facilitator from the forward position would be huge. He also seems to project really well in regards to switching and defending multiple positions.

If he’s gone I’d like to take a flier on Trevon Duval and see why his stock dropped so much. I understand his shot isn’t there but he has everything else. I believe shooting is the easiest thing to learn but even if he doesn’t develop a shot I believe he could still be useful in the nba off the bench in a rajon rondo style role

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  17. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Ryno + picks + cash to charlotte for Marvin Williams and MKG.

Charlotte saves almost $6M, while we get 2 serviceable players that are likely easier to move on there own than Anderson is.

Either that or maybe James Johnson from Miami. He can slide into the Ariza role in case he leaves. Only hesitation is having to deal with Pat Riley. I think he would ask for more positive assets to offload Ryno.

18. saleem

Does Vanderbilt have a jumper?
    Trevon looks pretty good to me too.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

No he doesn’t lol

I’m gonna say this but take it lightly. He seems like a poor mans Draymond Green. He’s a defense 1st PF with absolutely great rebounding both offensively (one of the best in the draft if not the best) and defensively. He projects to be a good smal ball 5.

He has a good handle and is good at pushing pace and attacking in transition. Similar to Draymonds ability. I think his handle is better than greens tho

He can create for others, most notably in transition, but is not nearly the level of facilitator that green is.

He is able to switch defensively and is strong enough and Big enough to play the small ball backup 5 position but is obviously no where near draymonds elite elite defense and awareness.

Both were not good shooters coming out and draymond has become respectable at least this is Vanderbilt’s biggest concern outside of lingering injury concerns.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  20. saleem

I thought as much with the little that I have seen of him. If he can defend and pass at the NBA level, I'm ok with him as the Rockets pick. I like his energy level and his ability to finish around the basket. If the Rockets can get Metu instead, I would take him. His offensive potential is what Capela needs to have. On defense, Metu shows promise, even though he is clearly not at Clint's level. I will be very surprised if he is available at 46.

ApacheWarrior and BigMaloe like this.