1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Don't see chemistry issue with Noel, maybe Hezonja. Would be treated like KJ at worst.

2. fattz

fattz Member

Willie Cauley-Stein and Omar Casspi are our answers. They are under used and not used at all by the Kings. As long as we keep the core of this team. Over pay!
    WCS is an all star if he plays in our system. Early struggles with the Kings should not define him as a player. He does and is what we lack as a team. Better fit than most anyone in the league. Casspi has pissed the wrong person off in the kingdom, but that doesn't mean he is a bad player. He is Dekkar's basement and would give us so much movement and space if they were to play at the same time --> hard match for any second unit --> Ego gets better. Starter's minutes go down and we become a better team with rest going into and trough the playoffs.
    Funny the Kings of all the teams have what we lack.

Papagiannis could take over WCS limited role. So we don't even have to send a big back.

skroodup25 and Jatman20 like this.
  3. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Rockets need to find a star who has a killer mentality. A killer mentality that just wants to play hard, be the best he can be, should not care who he plays, and just wants to beat any team that stands on his way, and take their pride. That type of player will bring attitude to this team.

D-rock likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Willie Cauley Stein is under used because he is still a raw athlete and not yet a basketball player. He can't do much on offense except run the court and finish on fast breaks. His passing, dribbling and recognizing switches is extremely poor. Love his huge athletic potential but he's not better than Capela right now. May never get there in terms of instincts or BB IQ. And an odd guy to boot.

And Casspi was just as reviled as Brewer in his short time with the Rockets.

Remlap likes this.
  5. fattz

fattz Member

Never compared Capela and WCS, look at what WCS brings and what we lack, then think about the way we play. He can rebound, too. Yes, he is very raw but is a fit now and the sky is the limit if he can put it all together. Better than we will be able to draft any time soon with our draft picks or stashed overseas. He would get a lot of playing time here and would / should become a monster that he is to become in time.

Fact : If Capela could log more minutes he would --> Not the long term answer for us as the starter. But for NOW YES Capela is better than WCS but in a few short seasons do you want to pay a player like a soild starter that can't log starter's minutes? Groom the raw replacement now and have control over his contract in the future.

Who was the coach when we had Casspi? Do we have a different coach now? Does his skill set fit here better now? I remember him as a smart / hard nosed role player that played making his team mates better. But if I am wrong he drops of the books at season's end.

cheshire likes this.
  6. basketballholic

Capela is not better than WCS now. Plug WCS in for Capela's minutes right now and there would be no difference. WCS can run pick and roll and without any defensive coaching at all, he's still going to respond and contest drivers better than CC.

And I don't even want WCS for anything more than one of our second rounders. Because he is a r****d knucklehead.

But basketball instinct....He's on a different plane than CC.

Keep trying to justify Capela. It'll be great for giggles in a couple more years.

Jatman20 likes this.
  7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You lose ch3miatry by trading half the team and starters.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could not disagree more, Capela is head and shoulders the better basketball player right now. WCS will wow you with his athleticism and length but he'll dribble the ball off his foot, throw ball away or shot air balls at critical times in games.

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

If you trade for both at same time perhaps, not if trading for only for one of them.

10. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

WCS & Casspi would fill many of what Houston lacks. I much preferred WCS back in Nov/Dec when Rockets
    top personnel could have been coaching him up on cleaner defensive rotations & timing on lobs. Mid Feb.
    is kinda of late in the season to try to conform him to our needs.....but I'm in on trying.

It makes little sense to me to bring in Wilson Chandler while Ariza exits. I would need both to truly contend.
    Casspi fills in some voids present with Dekker & Brewer.

I'm confused? An "odd guy to boot."

Some would say Lance Stephenson is odd? Don't get me wrong, there are many players many would consider odd: JaVale McGee, Larry Sanders, D12, Shaq, Dennis Rodman. Varying degrees I suppose.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Odd in that basketball is not important to him. Unlike Artest, Noah, Rodman, Sanders, etc. who have quirky personalities off court but once on court are all business and production. And WCS needs time to assimilate, understand and perfect his role in MDA system, not sure he has the work ethic and/or Bball IQ to make any impact THIS season. No doubt his length and athleticism are worth an investment but he would be a trade for future not present.

Casspi is a stretch 4 in our system, just like he was the last time he was a Rocket. He was not efficient then, still not efficient now. Not much of an upgrade over Dekker IMO, and no upside.

I like Wilson Chandler but there are more important moves to be made first (rim protecting 5, maybe even playmaking scorer) and non-trade options as well to improve depth at 3-D wing.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wtf? Capela isnt exactly a garbage player. He's gonna get 9+ per when his rookie contract expires

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Brewer/KJ/Harrell/1st rounder to Philly for Illyasova/Noel/Stauskas

We address a lot needs. Noel could hypothetically improve our interior defense while Stauskas gives us a reliable shooter to take Brewer's minutes. And Illyasova gets to essentially be our supersub part B. Hell, he might even be a better player than Anderson. Platoon the two of them and then finish the game with whomever has the hot hand.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

How do you know Capela has less talent than Noel? Capelas only 21 yrs old nobody knows how good he can be with his work ethic and high bball iq. Everybody was convinced Dekker and Harrell gonna suck last year look at them now. Work Ethic+Bball IQ>>>>>>any perceived talent a player has.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Noel is better defensively right now. Not just shot blocking, steals and rebounding but defending the switch then getting back to defend the paint. Capela's high BBIQ may give him an edge offensively, maybe. As for work ethic, never heard Noel had a bad work ethic, quite the opposite. And Noel is much more intense and confident than Capela. And there can't be any argument that Noel doesn't have the stamina issues that Capela does. Only clear area that Capela has on Noel is weight, although he doesn't play like he's 30 lbs stronger.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

W
    Would love this trade but Stauskas is going to be hard to pry away, he's not only playing well but he's also started. Noel and Covington perhaps.

17. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I'm not saying I'm an expert on WCS & im sure you have seen far more Kings games than I have.
    I haven't seen the low basketball IQ or lack of desire to compete while on the court as you have.

What I have seen is a situation much like Philadelphia where they have an abundance of centers/bigs.
    Sac: Cousins/Willie-Cauley Stein/Papgiannis/Koufos/Skal Labissiere
    76ers: Embiid/Okafor/Nerlens/Richaun Holmes/...Simmons, Ilyasova
    Both teams being a hot mess in terms of showcasing players while not having defined roles.
    Cousins plays close to 35 mins with a 37.5 USG%.....not exactly conducive for other big men to work
    around the rim. Koufos gets the nod because he is better at posting up while Cousins ventures out near
    the 3-pt line this year. Rockets don't ask Capela to post up nor would the Rockets ask WCS. The Rockets
    would simplify things for WCS. Set a pick.......roll.......get your hands up & ready for the lob.

There will be plenty of opportunities for setting picks.....for rolling (space provided by Harden-Ariza/Ryno/EGo
    Beverley/Dekker)...........lobs by a guy named Harden, not Lawson or Collison. I know you are not over thinking
    it, because I know you see Nerlens doing the same things while in the Capela role. Again I have only seen
    two Kings games this year. Vs Clippers. Cousins threw a fit every other play. I saw players afraid to shoot
    the ball in fear of Cousins going ballistic on them. They were looking over their shoulders even when he
    was on the bench.

The second game was vs the Rockets. Cousins sat that game out. WCS came off the bench and looked
    rusty since he was not playing much & he received some DNP-coaches decisions leading up to the game.
    Houston scouted the Kings well. When WCS was in the game the Rockets clogged the lane & dared the
    outside shooters to make their shots. The Kings outside shooters failed to make their shots in that game.
    When the game was out of reach the Rockets called off the dogs around the middle of the 4th quarter.
    The Rockets no longer clogged the lane and WCS opened things up and scored some pts quickly.
    He ended up 5-8 from the field, 5 rebs, 2 asts, 2 blks, 1 stl, 11 pts in 23 mins. Put him with our players
    and you would see improvement after a month. Just my opinion.

Casspi is slightly better than Dekker right now at shooting the 3. The individual who posted wrote trading
    without losing the rotational players not named Brewer. Casspi would help fill in on depth. Players
    that can play multiple positions. Don't lose sight of the fact that beggars can't be choosers.
    Yes look for better deals, but I hope the Rockets could fall back on some deal like WCS/Casspi some
    how if nothing else develops.

#1857 Jatman20, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I have always wanted Trill, what WCS likes to be called, but the more I watch him play the more anxious I am about adding him to the roster so late. The alley oops, rolling hard to rim and finishing off fast breaks are easy, talking about knowing where to set picks, spacing on O, rotating on D. The guy is a free spirit and sometimes he has goes Javale McGee on the court, just has brain freezes under normal circumstances. Boogie is an idiot so never going to defend his immaturity. But Kings brass actually were hoping to play Trill with Boogie for new twin towers with one all O and other all D. But Koufos keeps beating him for playing time, you would not believe all the lamenting in Sacramento about this.

Labissiere and Papagiannis are not affecting rotation minutes at all, mostly at end of bench or D League. WCS is just not fighting to earn minutes like he could, especially against a journeyman like Koufos. Both are worse than Dwight at FT line by the way.

Jatman20 likes this.
  19. basketballholic

That's coaching bro.

20. basketballholic

Thanks for defining what a not garbage player is for me. What would I do without guys like you? Now I know Erick Dampier and Gerald Henderson are not garbage.