1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

@Jatman20 I respect your opinion but please use paragraphs lol

da_juice likes this.
  2. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Not enough space. Ugh.

3. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Such is life....not enough Money....not enough time......not enough space in forums.

ramotadab and BigMaloe like this.
  4. carib

carib Member

I have read about Koufas, Courtney Lee, O'Quinn and Willie Reed which I think would all be good targets for a helpful trade. I have not read the entire trade thread however, too long. What is the opinion on the board on Brooklyn's back up big Justin Hamilton?
    Just curious about anyone who has seen him play. From his stats he seems like a decent rebounder, shot blocker and makes the occasional 3.
    Can't rely on stats alone. Rockets play the Nets on Sunday so I hope to see him for myself.

Zoplicone likes this.
  5. craguin

craguin Member

[ESPN / Marc Stein - 1/13/2017]
    Sources say Houston is not currently itching to make a move -- why would you want to change much at 31-10? -- but these are still the uber-aggressive Rockets. So count on them to stay on the lookout for an extra shooter or one more big man as the Feb. 23 trade deadline draws near.

Sources say, furthermore, that swingman K.J. McDaniels has emerged as the most likely Rocket to move this trade season ... more likely now than Corey Brewer.
    ----------

6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Yeah. It would probably take Brewers contract to match Koufos. KJ/Ennis to match Reed/Johnson.
    I would try to pursue the Reed deal. Not flashy. It adds depth without disrupting much of the
    chemistry. Possible rentals that won't handcuff the Rockets long term. Low-risk with chance
    for good returns. People with ability to slide over a chair: like Harden slides to PG, Ariza to SG,
    Dekker can slide to PF, Johnson can slide to PF, Ryno can slide to C...... & so-on.

Edited later: players sliding over as backup coverage. I'm not proposing changes as starters.
    Just as a means to keeping Brewer on the bench.

#1166 Jatman20, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I've been a big proponent of getting Chandler and I think it's still a real possibility:

I think most (if not all) of us have been interpreting this as either the Pelicans or the Hawks every time Codman mentions "freebirds". I think he's been giving us hints in plain sight:

1. freebirds. There are 3 birds in the NBA: Pelicans, Hawks, and.....Phoenix (Suns).
    2. Implosion. Codman loves to use this word and while all 3 feathered teams were all freefalling in the standings at some point in the past year, the Suns are dead last in the West right now while the Pelicans are 1.5 games out of 8th spot and the Hawks are still 4th in the East
    3. Help is coming in an unconventional formula. This is pretty simple to decipher and basically it means we're not signing a FA off of the streets, we're not getting this player via a traditional trade nor are we picking said player off of waivers. I think this means that either one of two things is going to happen: 1. the player we're getting is currently under contract for at least another year and he's going to restructure the remaining years of his contract a la Lawson to get outta Dodge or 2. We are going to try and pull off a multi-team trade. I think the former scenario is more plausible as it's easier to work out.
    4. Timeline. It's working to the Rockets' favor that we're closer to the February deadline and Phoenix is still continuing to just flounder around.
    5. The other quotes we've seen this season from Codman:

Here's what I think/hope will happen:

1. Looking at the Suns' schedule for the rest of the month, I can see them losing, at the minimum, 6 out of a total of 10 games. If they push that mark to 7 or 8 games lost they can pretty much start preparing for the next person to sit at the NBA Lottery show.

2. If #1 occurs (which would be by February 1st), it makes all the sense in the world for the Suns to reshuffle the deck and rebuild. Speaking on their frontcourt only, you have three bigs (Chriss, Len, and Bender) that needs PT to grow and develop so you can't keep a high dollar veteran on a lottery bound team.

3. With the logic from #2, I think Phoenix and Tyson will talk about restructuring the last two years of his contract (very much like the Lawson situation) where, maybe, portions of his salary become nonguaranteed. Hence, an unconventional formula. This way, Phoenix will probably have more teams calling for Chandler and gives Tyson an opportunity to join a playoff team.

4. This, of course, will give Phoenix plenty of teams/options to look at when trading Chandler. Of course, the team will have to be a playoff team or is in the hunt right now. Of the teams that would need a veteran big man:

Out East, you're looking at:
    Boston: They could use Chandler but no way in hell is Ainge giving up any of his valuable assets (draft picks, young players) to bring on Chandler.
    Milwaukee: They, in theory, could use a defensive big but they have so many on that bench right now that it wouldn't make sense

West, you're looking at:
    Warriors: I'd be willing to bet they would want Chandler in a uniform ASAP but who would they send back in a trade that Phoenix would want?
    Spurs: They would love to get more frontcourt depth I doubt they would trade any significant piece of their team (e.g. Green) to get a backup big man.
    Blazers: They've been needing a center for a while now but I think with them being so far down the playoff seeding Chandler won't risk signing with them for fear of missing the playoffs.

That leaves...Houston.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gsvrhvh

Houston receives:
    Chandler
    Barbosa

Phoenix receives:
    Brewer
    McDaniels
    Ennis
    Choice of either a 2017 2nd Round Pick from Portland or from Denver

Why would Phoenix do this trade?
    1. Cap Space: Ennis is an expiring contract and McDaniels' salary for next season is a team option. They could effectively shed about $5.2 million from the cap if they don't bring both players back for next season. So rather than paying a combined $16 million for Chandler and Barbosa, they're left with only Brewer's $7.6 million cap number, giving them a net plus of almost $10 million in capspace.
    2. 2nd Rounder: Either pick is projecting to be high up the draft board right now and this is pretty much the cherry on top after getting potential caproom for summer of 2017.

Why would Houston do this trade?
    1. Front court depth: Codman and many others (like myself) have stated this as much: this team needs more up front. He isn't an elite defender anymore but he's still tall, can still work the PnR, and defend/rebound better than average. Tack on the fact that he's playoff/battle tested I'm sure that level of experience will go a long way come playoff time.
    2. Another shooter/scorer at D'Antoni's disposal: Barbosa can still score and he's shooting almost 45% from 3 (albeit with very few attempts). I don't think I have to explain the plusses of having a Barbosa versus keeping a Brewer, KJ, and/or Ennis. And at $4 for next year? It's not a bad contract/player to have

I, mean, just going back to Codman's posts of:
    and you can see that Chandler is one of few that I can think of that fits all of these descriptions.

OF COURSE, this dream/scenario ultimately depends on if Chandler is willing to forego guaranteed money on his contract in order to play on a contender for one final shot at a ring. Dude already got a ring ..but he also has money as well. I think if the terms don't torpedo Morey/Rockets' long term plan (i.e. maybe next year's salary is partially guaranteed and the final year of his contract is not guaranteed?) there's no way Morey don't do this deal. Again, this is going by Codman's hint of acquiring help using an "unconventional formula"...maybe that involves an NBA vet that still has gas in the tank to change the terms of his very generous contract in order to land on a contending team?

8. micah1j

micah1j Member

according to the vertical only 500,000 of Barbosa's 4.0m salary in 2017 is guaranteed, cut date is 7/3/17

HTX Ninja likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

even better news! :D

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

What's the opinion on picking up Josh Smith here? It's probably been covered, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen it.

With the Dwight Howard fallout last year he was in an awkward spot. This year, he could be a good P&R guy with Harden and another warm body to get rebounds and play tough defense at the rim. *shrug* A low risk, medium reward possibility. The longshot is that he rejuvenates Brewer back to 2015 Brewer. Haha.

D-rock and HTX Ninja like this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

12. craguin

craguin Member

[​IMG]

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

FWIW I Believe TC needs to come to the TC. Your deal is sensical, but is it 'sufficient' for Suns' wants, needs? I suspect this year's 1st may be requisite. And worth it.

BigMaloe and micah1j like this.
  14. dtitus1

dtitus1 Member

I want gary harris on this team.. he gets buckets

RocketsTerps likes this.
  15. craguin

craguin Member

ramotadab, D-rock and HTX Ninja like this.
  16. steddinotayto

I don't think it would require a 1st because of the potential cap clearing this trade would be for Phoenix. People might look at Korver's trade as a baseline but I think the Cavs bid against themselves when they offered the 1st rounder.

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

Haven't really seen him play, but I think he could serve a purpose as a 3rd string big

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

Maybe we give them our first and we swap 2nds, get their 35 pick and we give them our 45 pick (portland). I agree with Xiki they will want a "First" to make it happen

BigMaloe and steddinotayto like this.
  19. steddinotayto

I'm not opposed to sending them a 1st if that's what it takes. I just think the asking price won't be considering the market for a non-perimeter threat big man isn't large.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This my opinion; I hope TC comes to TC as (asset) cheaply as possible.