1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Not even Ingram gets you a discussion imo.

There is only one team who could start a conversation and that's Boston. And it would take the #1 pick, bkn 1st in '18, other future 1st(s), smart, jaylen. And if ainge called and made that offer morey would probably still hang up mid call.

You don't trade a top5 player, ever. It's why kd walked rather than get traded. Because even with the Boston package laid out above with 2 likely top 3 picks, the likelihood of landing a player as good as harden is ridiculously low. Would guess 4%

Tha_Dude and Vivi like this.
  2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i guess you're right and i confess that i'm probably a bit too high on Ingram :)

BigMaloe likes this.
  3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

u guys might be right, i ****d up on that trade. i'll ry again

oh i forgot about scoring. in my head i went off about the backcourt defense and stopped right there.

#3043 rocketsballin, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  4. BigMaloe

I think Washington could be a good team to deal with. Some trades I can see happening after the draft.

Lou williams for a future 1st.
    -This would have to happen just before free agency. They will have space to swallow his contract and then resign all their players using bird rights. Would give them added depth and they were already rumored to offer a 1st for Lou at the deadline.
    - for Houston it would be adding an asset along with added cap space to out us at the 20m or so range to legitimately convince the higher tier free agents we could sign them with another small move or at the 20m per.

Ryan Anderson/harrell for gortat/oubre/mcculough
    -Washington is weakest at the 4. They will be paying the max to Porter most likely leaving oubre as a role player at most but bogs is taking over because of the better fit shooting the ball.
    - for Houston it would be if we could come to terms with an improvement in free agency like Ibaka, as well as help shore up the interior defense and a hopeful ariza replacement although outre shoots like roberson/brewer.

kwakmeister likes this.
  5. ballgame

ballgame Member

Successful Offseason if we can trade Harrell and a #2 to Denver for Emmanuel Mudiay and sign Serge Ibaka. The Rockets may have to unload a contract to sign Ibaka (Lou Williams or Ariza) but we have to get bigger.

Mudiay is starting to come on but he is lost on Denver's bench, now is the time to pounce, with there numerous amount of guards. If Lowery decides to leave, I can't see Ibaka resigning there. If not Ibaka, we need to go after Blake Griffin. The Rockets need a 2nd option.

6. BigMaloe

Kudos for out of the box thinking. It seems like a morey low risk medium reward type of move. Mudiay is interesting and I like your reasoning. Only problem is I don't think Denver would want Harrell while already having faried.

7. BigMaloe

Minnesota out: Lavine
    Minnesota in: Ariza/beverley
    Minnesota outlook: get much more defensive oriented players that I'm sure this would love to have. Being a gm/head coach he could be ready to make a push to get better now, and I'm sure he doesn't like how bad the defense was last year. Making was very good but with Dunn being the future and Rubio still there(without a willing suitor) he could be the guy out.

Indiana out: Paul george
    Indiana in: Lavine/dekker/hou1st
    Indiana outlook: market might not be all that great with not a pot of teams willing to gamble on a 1 year rental of George with all signs pointing to him walking to LA. They get a young player with all-star potential and another young player with a future 1st.

Houston out: ariza/bev/dekker/1st
    Houston in: Paul george
    Outlook: would be the gamble we have to take in order to try and contend with gsw. Try and convince George to play here with Harden and make a serious run next year. Hell of a price to pay and hurts our depth. We may be able to snag another player in return like Cj miles when the season ends but right now it doesn't work on trade machine.

Harden/gordon/george/anderson/capela
    Is about the beat case scenario we can hope for but with lou/nene/harrell being our only significant bench players it would still have weaknesses.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

pacers wont trade a 2nd tieer star player for a 3rd option, a youngn, and a late first. wyould you trade pg for that drivel?

im too lazy to fix my original trade, once i do you'll all bow down to me. morey better give me a call and sign my ass so i can save this franchise. pass me some cheeseburgers while at it

9. BigMaloe

Pacers will take the best deal they are offered or they will lose him for nothing but cap space next year. I'm not saying we could put together a great package or even the best that would be available. But to think the market will be bullish for a George rental with all signs he is walking to the lakers, would be asinine.

BTW the most recent 2nd tier star rental traded was ibaka for Ross and a late 1st. Before that he got traded for a 3rd or 4th tier player and a 1st. Also cousins, for a rookie player (who wasn't some potential filled star in the waiting) and a 1st.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Ariza is the odd man out. I think both Lou and Gordon love playing with Harden and vice-versa, and Beverly is likely going to be kept here for awhile short of an incredible deal. Ariza is a great guy to have around but he's getting older, his defense is declining, and he isn't a good scorer if he's not making his threes. Wouldn't be surprised if him and Harrell are packaged for a slight upgrade at the 3. Maybe someone with a similar playstyle to Ariza but a little younger.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Even houston buy who, it is unable to beat warriors. How morey can make the team become champion?

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm not sure Washington would trade a 1st for Lou now that he's going to be an expiring...even though, who knows...and tbh, a couple of second rounders would still be ok to me...also, not sure they'd trade Gortat, he's a good center with a pretty cheap contract for two more years...imo no chance they trade him unless they get back another good center...but, i like them as a trade partner, i wonder if/how much they trust Morris shooting, looks like he has improved this season but...Anderson might be interesting for them, Wall is eventually going to give him a lot of good shots to open the court more...and they have no other way to sign free agents with their cap situation anyway...i know this will never happen but...

Ryan + Ariza + fillers and/or picks
    x
    Porter + trash (Burke, Smith etc...should be easy to cut and dump them)

...would be pretty great.

At that point we would have 75M on salary cap (Porter cap holds included which is something around 12M), dump Lou and we go at 68, might come close to 60 if we cut and/or trade Wiltjer, Trez, Troy, Taylor, Qi...that's still a lot of cap space to fill the roster. Now, bring in one between Millsap/Ibaka and Holiday or Hill (if Llull is still not willing to come). Like, what about:

Capela - Nene - Nanu
    Millsap (or Ibaka) - Trez (or Qi or Wiltjer)
    Porter - Dekker - Troy
    Harden - Gordon
    Holiday - Pat

?

Even though, i expect Millsap, Ibaka, Holiday getting too much for making two of them gettable (i don't see them making just 20x...we'll see)...but, that's where we should really try to bring in Llull so, swap Holiday for Llull and you still have a pretty great roster:

Capela - Nene - Nanu
    Millsap (or Ibaka) - Trez (or Qi or Wiltjer)
    Porter - Dekker - Troy
    Harden - Gordon
    Pat - Llull

This would still be a major upgrade for us...you basically swap Anderson with Millsap/Ibaka, Ariza with Porter and Lou with Llull (if Holiday and Hill are not gettable which is what i'd expect in this scenario).

And yeah, if Llull is not willing to come (which is likely lol), you can still go after Mills, Teodosic, Galloway.

Back to reality now lol

13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

the trade that will save this franchise http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y76qjnug

the real trade that will save this franchise from the future **** hole they'd be in if thye keep trying to build around harden as a first option http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yadzzr54

suns get boston's pick, we get suns pick AND one of their early 2nds. any other picks and filler im too lazy to include, its filler so w/e

on paper, boston has a big 3 and some depth. it comes at a cost as it should with this trade. they get the best player in the trade in ryan anderson.
    knight is far from done, he's just a bum. being on a good playoff team instead of a lottery team will change his attitude. they can choose any two of knight, tyson and jared. i assume they dont want tyson
    between jonas, amir and kelly, two of them are coming back so they'll have enough depth when the season starts.
    hopefully ryan can make one or two wide open threes in the po's for them. im sure they'd appreciate it

it / knight
    harden / smart
    dudley /
    ryan / jonas
    horford / kelly

rockets get to retool and rebuild w/o tanking. have to make another offseason trade by exceeding roster size. i'd prefer they trade rozier since there's no need for him and his value goes down if he stays here for the season.
    three 3rd option scorers which imo counts as one 2nd option, so nearly the same as harden production wise
    bradley in a contract year after a career year, potential to be a 2nd scoring option, if not then just a better year.
    tons of depth to work with. need to trade some of it
    insane backcourt defense. curry wont have his best games against the rockets. just accross the board good defensive players overall. mda's wet dream - staying competitive while not having to coach defense cuz most of his players are good at that. remember what an mda offense did to this team this season. can do one better and trade mda for a defensive oriented coach and have a top 3-5 defense. if he stays then easily top 10.

bledsoe / bav / rozier
    bradley / eg
    crowder / brown
    ariza / dekker / harrel
    clint / nene / zeller

suns get the first pick in a stacked draft. plus some decent filler while most of their big contracts are gone. that team mwas going nowhere. this trade saves them.

this isnt a trade to contend, its to keep this team competitive in the po's as 1st-2nd round fodder, maybe another wcf run. getting everyone good experience and becoming a top free agent place in a few years. we have the front office to pull it off. only a small handful of teams will come close to warriors and cavs for the next 3-5 years and we proved in these po's we showed we got long ways to go. think of it like the team before harden but much better. no superstar but a buncha role players. lots of trading opportunities.

the trad ei posted before was incomplete. i'd never trade harden for that

14. BigMaloe

Well I don't see them trading Porter at all, especially considering he is an RFA. Gortat is good for them, but is getting older and they paid big money to mahinmi. They are weak in 2 areas. Bench and the pf spot.

In regards to a 1st for expiring Lou, I think so. It's still a full year of production from a team with minimal backup guard and pg duties and no cap space.

With Porter resigning, I think it makes oubre available in connection with a pf upgrade. Especially with bogs there. Which is what would make Ryan appealing to them. But I def agree with your sentiments about the hesitation to move gortat.

Vivi likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Lol. They can't trade otto porter's rights and cap hold to another team.

Anyways, what is the highest draft pick we could get for Lou?

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

A player who's going to be restricted can't be traded before free agency starts?

On Lou imo, we're not getting a 1st, but who knows, not saying it's impossible, maybe a top 20 protected which turns in one/two 2nd rounders the year after...what's your take on this?

I guess we should look at teams with a pretty much set roster...i'd keep an eye on:

- Portland, they have 3 picks btw, 15th, 20th and 26th...to me they look like the classic team whit little to no interest in drafting, especially three times...i can see them keeping the 15th, but the other two picks...also, the only empty spot on their bench is basically the PG unless we consider Turner a PG.

- OKC, aside for the hole they have there and the fact that they should like more scoring off the bench, by taking Lou they would also taking him away from us...and they have the 21th pick.

Other teams i don't really know...Utah is probably tied to what is going to happen with Hayward but mostly with Hill, if Hill stays there they're obviously off. And what about the Bulls? They have the 16th pick, not sure they would trade that for Lou even if they'd like the idea of getting him though...i just don't see it.

Maybe after the draft or during the season teams like Washington, Charlotte, Detroit (if they move Jackson), Denver (if they move Mudiay), Memphis can be interested too...

#3056 Vivi, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

How about Orlando at #25. They need shooting and that is their 2nd 1st round pick. Maybe Utah at #30. Other than that, it is tough.

18. BigMaloe

I think if we are looking specifically at the draft @Vivi makes a good point about Portland. Although I think they try to move 15 and 20(or 26)to move up to the 9-13 range.

After the draft I think Washington, charlotte, Detroit, Milwaukee, Portland, okc, nop, Memphis all seem like teams willing to make a move for a bench scoring 6th man and backup point.

I'm not sure all would ship a 1st but I guess you try and predict who would be the worst team next year and go for it.

I would imagine nop who be the most desperate and aggressive looking to upgrade especially if jrue walks to another team on a big contract like Brooklyn

Vivi likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Good point on NOLA, they need to win this season, if they lose Holiday and Boogie in 5/10 months they're screwed big time.

BigMaloe likes this.
  20. basketballholic

Utah has allegedly promised DJ Wilson. If that's true they went trade their pick unless he comes off board before they pick. I happen to believe that is a true rumor.