1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Who in the world would take on Ryan Anderson's deal though? He was garbage in basically every single home game this season. I honestly think he may be one of the least desirable contracts in the NBA. I suspect to be rid of him we'd have to include Capela or multiple first rounders.

2. Zergling

Zergling Member

There are plenty of bad organizations with plenty of cap space that would take a flyer on Anderson. Another scenario would be flipping him for a player who's similarly considered overpaid and a bad contract, or the team just really wants them out. Take Melo and the Knicks for example.

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

solomon hill got 50m. noah and dwight got 70m. adams got 100 million ****in dollars! someone will take one of the best stretch 4s in the game who's not even 30 btw.

those of you who dont think he can be traded act like there's only a few of these overpaid contracts out there.

arabrocket likes this.
  4. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd trade everyone aside Harden for Porzingis, i can't see the Knicks trade him though, they cannot be so dumb.

6. malakas

malakas Member

The purpose of trading Anderson isn't to take back similar salary. It's to free salary to go after max FAs.
    Otherwise of course an Anderson trade taking back crap contracts is very easy.

If you think the league is full of teams with capspace eager to take on Anderson why not say some examples?

But first I want to forewarn you that a) The Nets have a smart GM now who isnt' an idiot b) The Kings have a full frontcourt and they already can't find enough minutes and now they are rebuilding. c) The 76ers as well have a full frontcourt with young players that can't get enough minutes.

So right there is three of the teams with the most capspace.

7. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing. He's a better on and off the ball than Anderson. Not to mention, he's a good shooter from mid and 3pt range.

8. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

Sam decker and a 2018 first rounder for wilson chandler

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like Wilson, but the Rockets should
    look to package first round picks and
    young players, to get a better center/
    forward.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

We need a big upgrade to make a noteworthy jump, a decent/good role player won't makes us better enough at this point.

11. Milos

Milos Member

What about this deal? HOU-ATL-BOS

ROCKETS
    PF Paul Millsap ($30M x 4yrs)
    G Avery Bradley (8.3 x 1)
    F Mike Dunleavy (4.8 x 1)

HAWKS
    PF Ryan Anderson (18.7 x 3)
    C Tyler Zeller (8 x 1)
    G Marcus Smart (3.6 x 1)

CELTICS
    G Lou Williams (7 x 1)
    PF Montrezl Harrel (1 x 1)
    F Kyle Wiltjer (0.5 x 1)

This would obviously hinge on a couple of HUGE unknowns:

- Millsap would have to tell the Hawks he wants S&T to Houston
    Probably at/near MAX as suggested ($30M+ per season)

- Boston would have to be willing to move Bradley
    Possibly even more a long-shot than Millsap picking us in FA

Still I think it's pretty feasible all around

Then I'd use the MLE to snag a vet shooter Forward off the bench:
    A - Tyreke Evans
    B - CJ Miles
    C - Jeff Green

HOU could then complete my perfect offseason with bargain FA deals to bring back 2 vet bigs:
    - Nene & Patrick Patterson

WHY HAWKS DO IT?

- Dwight loves Ryno

Ironically, like 2 ships passing in the night, these 2 missed a reunion in Houston by 1 season
    Here they finally get to rekindle their ORL bromance
    Hawks are very unlikely to find a better, cheaper fit as Millsap replacement next to Dwight in FA since nobody else wants to play with him
    Better to try appeasing Dwight with a buddy (like both our moves to get Smoove) that can bring much-needed shooting and spacing than let Paul walk for nothing

- ATL cannot Rebuild

It is painfully obvious this team need to be blown up
    Schroder, Hardaway and Prince could be a nice starting place to rebuild with a few blue-chip lotto picks

The foolish decision to replace Horford & Teague with Dwight has left them with an untradeable black hole in the paint and on the books
    The Bazemore deal is nearly as bad and only slightly more movable in trade

So now they are stuck in the slog of East mediocrity, doomed to lose in the 1st for at least a couple more seasons
    Smart could aid that effort as the combo G off the bench they currently lack
    Zeller adds even more spacing as replacement for Ilyasova

2018 Hawks Lineup:
    Dwight / Zeller
    Ryno

Prince / Bazemore
    Hardaway
    Schroder / Smart

WHY CELTICS DO IT?

- Free up Backcourt Glut

BOS currently has Thomas, Bradley, Smart, Frazier & Jaylen Brown competing for 96 minutes of PT
    The King of the 4th isn't going anywhere, and Frazier is the best true PG of the bunch on the best contract
    Crowder is locked in for 35+ at one F spot
    The expected major addition will most likely be the other starting F
    Brown has little opportunity in the frontcourt going forward and they didn't take him #3 overall last year to ride the bench

That makes Avery and Smart the 2 most likely to be moved
    Both are on bargain expiring contracts likely to exceed $15M per a year from now on their next deals
    Both are also really wing players trapped in a PG body (just like Beverly) making them less-than-ideal fits next to the tiny Thomas
    BOS could look to move either or both before they walk next year for nothing

- Free up FA cap space and add Isaiah-clone Lou to backup

The expected pursuit of a 3rd star to join Isaiah + Horford remains Ainge's top priority
    The exchange of those 3 Rockets for the contracts of Amir, Zeller, Bradley, Smart & Olynyk would clear $25M+ in additional cap space for a run at a star

Wiltjer is basically a younger, cheaper version of Zeller & Olynyk
    Trezz is the same type of swap to allow Amir Johnson to walk, clearing another $11M

Lou makes a ton of sense as a cheaper Bradley/Smart replacement
    He is the perfect sub for Isaiah as the hub of the second unit that could allow their star more rest during the season
    Thomas will be looking to score a mega-extension next offseason
    They could let all 3 expirings walk if they need extra cash, or use Bird rights to go over the cap and resign if any prove to be a great fit

2018 Celtics Lineup:
    Horford
    Crowder / Harrell
    Hayward

Brown / Lou
    Isaiah / Rozier

WHY ROCKETS DO IT?

Pretty obvious really

- Huge upgrades of 2 weakest starters

Millsap & Bradley are almost the perfect fits for what this team needs

Millsap brings nearly the same spacing at the 4 we get from Ryno now
    Neither is much of a rebounder or rim protector, so no major up/downgrade in those areas either way
    But Paul also brings elite perimeter defense, toughness, and scoring/play-making from the post we never get from Anderson
    He can be the willing #2 star to support Harden we should have targeted 4 years ago instead of Dwight

Bradley has long been a personal favorite of mine as the ideal backcourt partner for Harden
    He is a VERY rich man's Beverley and enhances Pat's value by bumping him into his best role as the backup PG
    Avery is Pat's equal as a:
    - standstill shooter (36.6 vs 37.5 - 3PT% career)
    - tenacious on-ball defender (2016 All-DEF 1st)
    - rebounder (6.1 vs 5.9 - RPG 2017)
    Bradley is far superior as a:
    - finisher (62.5 vs 55.9 - FG% 0-3ft)
    - creator off the dribble (sorry don't know a good stat for this)
    In fact, the only area Beverley exceeds Bradley is as a playmaker, but this is not a strength for either
    Lou looked like a great pickup at the time, but the team needs another DEF presence on the ball more than it needs his playmaking and scoring

Dunleavy is just an extra shooter off the bench to replace Wiltjer that Morey has targeted before
    He also has an expiring $4.8M contract that could prove very useful in matching salaries for a deadline deal down the road if needed

My 2018 Rockets Lineup:
    Capella / Nene / Onuaku
    Millsap / Patterson / Dunleavy
    Ariza / Evans / Dekker
    Harden / Gordon
    Bradley / Beverley / Taylor

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  12. txn

txn Member

Lol, one of the problem with C's this playoff is that they are too small. Your trade just made them even smaller.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

^that trade isn't realistic

Bradley and Smart are 2 key rotation players and 2 of their best perimeter defenders. Bradley is their 2nd leading scorer. They are not gonna give them up in order to get back a bench piece in Lou Williams who plays 0 defense, a decent young big, and Wiltjer who is useless.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, no chance in hell the Celtics do that trade, they would laugh at that proposal...i can see Ainge trading one between Thomas, Bradley and Smart IF they get an all star caliber player back, mainly cause i think he might not be able to pay all of them, but he's not going to trade them for a trash package.

15. txn

txn Member

The main thing is Danny Ainge ain't no Vlade Divac or Phil Jackson. He's pretty good at being a GM.

16. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Not bad, only thing i'd do was swap out Ariza for Capela and even add in Harrell with picks and then just use remaining cap space on solid roll players, preferably another big and SG/SF shooter

17. Milos

Milos Member

Yeah ... that's why I said it was probably more unlikely than Millsap picking us

Instead of Bradley, what if it was Smart coming here?
    Would Lou be 'trash' for just Smart?

Trez + Wiltjer are really cheap young replacements for Amir ($12M) & Zeller ($8M)
    That would only clear around $17M in cap room
    Def not enough for Hayward or anything near a Max FA

The top3 pick is another huge part of this equation
    Top 3 on board for most all Guards (Fultz, Ball, Smith)
    If they keep it, would Ainge pass on 'best available' to fill a need position?
    Isaac is my fav lotto player this class, but most have him ranked #5-10

I think Hayward or Butler lands in BOS
    Either way, they have to move salary out to sign Hayward or match Jimmy's salary in trade
    Zeller is obvious part of that
    Where else besides Bradley can they even approach carving out the cap room to add Max salary?

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd say yes, Smart is already a better player than Lou, much younger...both are going to get paid in a year, but yeah, Smart has just more value overall...they also Rozier who is a very interesting player, they have a chance to draft a good guard...i just don't see a single reason why they should have any interest in Lou tbh...i think they would easily find a team willing to trade a lottery pick (if not a bit more) for Smart.

On their trade scenarios i don't know, they can easily free enough cap space, i think they already have max space for Hayward in fact...but i see they have to decide if they want to make Zeller contract guaranteed after the draft and two days into the free agency which is interesting...because they would need his salary to make a trade for Butler or George so, my guess is that they're going to draft the best player available, then talk to Hayward as soon as possible, and if he wants to join them they will release Zeller, if Hayward doesn't, they will keep Zeller just to trade his salary for Butler or George.

19. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Trade Lou Williams, Anderson and some other pieces to clear more cap space .... Paul George should be our target number 1. Deadly combination with Harden ... just imagine that for a second!

20. Milos

Milos Member

Would be amazing but he's a Laker the instant that pick lands in top 3
    Done deal IMO

George
    Randle
    Russell
    Ingram

That squad could give Durant Curry Green Klay a serious challenge in 2019 if Walton was right hire