1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2015-16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

yet their wingspan is fairly identical :rolleyes:

2. bmd

bmd Member

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying we've seen Jones as a rookie in Summer League and we've seen Turner as a rookie in Summer League.

Their impact on the games as rookies in summer league were similar. In 25 minutes, Jones averaged 18 pts and nearly 9 rebounds and Turner in the same amount of minutes averaged 16 pts and 7 rebounds.

So coming out of college, they were at a similar skill-level.

But since coming out of college, Jones has improved. We have seen it.

Therefore, we know that 2015 Terrence Jones is better than 2012 rookie Terrence Jones. And since 2012 rookie Terrence Jones is similar in production to rookie Myles Turner, we can infer that 2015 Terrence Jones is better than 2015 Myles Turner.

3. basketballholic

Anybody that wants us to win a championship should have issues with Terrence right now.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you may be right. i just don't understand why you have to be so vocal about it. your opinion is ingrained into clutchfans, and is understood by anyone that reads this bbs on occasion.

this video is from 2 seasons ago. do you not think he is at least marginally improved from this??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ocrZvR1D2ig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

he is still 5 games from playing a season and a half worth of games in the nba. and 30+ of those games he was injured. so if i were you i would give the guy 40 games this season to see if he has improved at all. if he doesn't then start your campaign again at that point. i'm pretty sure people on here would appreciate it.

5. basketballholic

I'm vocal about obvious things that will prevent us from winning a championship. Terrence just happens to be the most obvious piece that is a problem right now. But believe me....if Dwight and Capela sleep walk through this season shooting in the 40's from the FT line...I'll be very verbal about that too. Because if those are our 2 rim protectors and they're locking down the paint for 48 minutes and they're both in the 40's from the FT stripe......we will not win a championship.

He's probably marginally improved from 2 years ago. Sure. But he's not good enough as of our last sighting (2015 playoffs) to help us win a championship. So, unless he's substantially improved his shooting or defense or rebounding....he's not good enough. Most posters here are banking on a great improvement. Good luck with that. I'll believe it when I see it.

Once again, marginal improvement isn't important. What is important is do we have the proper players with the proper skills in the rotation to win a championship?

Once again, not interested in if he has improved at all. I'm interested in - does he have skills that will help us win a championship? Those skills are:

1. 3-point shooting - can he space the floor and consistently knock down the volume of 3-balls that the defense gives him because they want him to shoot it? Or does he continuously up fake, hoping to lure the defense out of the paint area so he can then do something else with the basketball?

2. Rebounding - can he grab an above average share of rebounds for his position when matched up against other playoff team rotation bigs???

3. Defend - can he defend other, bigger, stronger, big men that he is going to face constantly in the playoffs if he is in the playing rotation at the end of the season? Or do they thrash him over and over?

That's the bottom line with Terrence. He has to be an above average NBA power forward in at least one of these three areas for him to help us win a championship by being a rotation big. I don't care how much he improves season to season. I care about his ability to help us win a championship. Last post season Terrence hurt us. He COULD NOT give us any of these 3 things. He was subpar and the weak link and contributed to us losing to the Warriors and exiting the playoffs. And when you analyze the playoff data, he along with Big Baby Davis were the 2 worst performing bigs on any of the playoff teams.

That has to change and change right now. You can hope and wish it does. I don't see it happening. The league has had 3 seasons now to adjust to Terrence's game. He had it harder last year because they adjusted and faded off him and funneled the ball to him. That's going to happen even more this season. Terrence has to have gotten significantly bigger, stronger, more aggressive, and quicker thinking to have a positive effect on this team this season and next post season.

#545 basketballholic, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  6. malakas

malakas Member

What hurts ones credibillity is to infer shooting abillity from videos of draftworkouts or some few shots in college games.
    Let's see how he can shoot against NBA defences. When he will have much less times to set his feet , to release his shot, and when he will have defenders closing out on him.
    I have seen many bigs shooting threes in workouts and in Summer league. Big deal. :rolleyes: If only it would translate to the REAL NBA GAMES...but it doesn't..

7. basketballholic

malakas

jump shot form is jump shot form. I don't need to see Myles Turner shoot against NBA defenses to know that he is a better shooter than Terrence. He has consistent, great mechanics. He'll have to be defended when he faces up. NBA defenses will actually have to face guard on Turner when he catches the ball high.

You apparently have not seen enough of shooting practices. Because the way players go about their business in shooting practice tells a whole lot about what kind of shooters they are in games. Those videos were practice videos. You got snippets of Turner draining shot after shot, in rhythm. And you got vid of Jones clanking, resetting with the same bad mechanics, catching, and slinging the ball up there again for another miss. If you can't tell the difference between Turner and Terrence's shooting ability then you simply haven't watched enough basketball. (I'm being kind here.)

8. malakas

malakas Member

Sure he has great form. Doesn't mean he will be a good NBA shooter. Someone shooting alone in the gym is quite differently than shooting with defence on him. And there's a HUGE PILE of research done on that. Huge.
    First you tell me to shut up and then that I don't know anything about bball. OK.

9. basketballholic

Didn't say he would be a good NBA shooter. I said he's a superior shooter to Terrence. Terrence is a terrible shooter. But that's ok. Keep convincing yourself that Turner hasn't proven he's a better shooter than Turner to cover up for the "Terrence is a better player than Turner" statements.

10. malakas

malakas Member

youare saying just becaue someone has a good shooting form on an empty gym that makes him a better player? When he has done nothing on the NBA?
    And when not even him shooting may translate in the league?
    oK I will keep saying that, and you can keep saying that you think you can tell the future of someone before they haven't even done anything.

11. basketballholic

Ummmmmmm, noooooooo. What I very clearly stated was because you have never seen Turner play in the NBA there is no way you can say that Terrence is a better player than Myles Turner. Understandomendo?

Ummmmmmm, noooooo. I can't tell Turner's NBA future right now based on him being able to shoot in an open gym. (I have other question marks about his game...but not his shooting ability.)

But...what I can tell by watching Turner shoot in an open gym and watching Terrence shoot in an open gym is that Turner is the far superior shooter to Terrence.

What you cannot tell by watching the two players shoot in an open gym is that Terrence is a better player than Turner. And you also cannot tell by watching Terrence play in the NBA for 3 seasons and not watch Turner play in the NBA whether or not Terrence is a better NBA player than Turner. You cannot tell that because Turner hasn't played in the league yet. So, quit stating it like its fact. All it is is a guess by you and the other Terrence fans.

By the way, on the subject of shooting. SHOOTING is the most translatable skill from college to the NBA. The odds are very good that Turner will be a plus shooter in the NBA.

12. bongman

bongman Member

You need to lead this revolt by example to get this cause a bigger audience. Next time you watch a live game, make sure you bring a HUGE trade _ones sign.
    I am certain the Rowdy's would love and follow you.

13. basketballholic

Yeah...that would be funny.

But it's not my style. I ain't interested in demeaning or denigrating our players. I'd rather Terrence go out there and become a big time player. I simply don't have confidence he ever will. So while I think the best course is to trade him for a better fitting big...I would never protest against him like that.

14. bmd

bmd Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. malakas

malakas Member

No that's wrong. The most translatable skill is REBOUNDING. Not shooting.
    And yes I can say that T.Jones is a better player. Because the other one isn't even one.(nba player) yet.

Also your attempts to ridicule, make sarcastic comments and offend are pitiful.
    And no. Not everyone who thinks that Jones is better than a rookie (with big problems in his gait too) is a Jones fan. It's logic.
    The same I dont' think that D'Angelo Russel is a better player or Mudiay or Okafor. They have too much to learn and have proven absolutely nothing.
    If you think Jones is bad at defence let's see how these rookies will do. HORENDOUS.
    And also you can keep pretending you are some kind of genious and scouting savant but don't blame others if they don't take it seriously. You have made many false predicitions in the past.

16. malakas

malakas Member

This is the trading ideas thread. So let's all move on from bball psychic predictions and throw some trading ideas.

I think the team may need a backup center. I don't have confidence in Capella to play 25+ and even start. We dont' know if he can even stay on the court and not foul out.
    Any ideas?

17. Mr Chuck Norris

I'm with Jopat on this one man. Turner can at least hit free throws. He has a quicker release and is obviously a better shooter, he doesn't have to play an NBA game for that to be true. Does this mean Devin booker is not a better shooter than anyone in the NBA as well because he hasn't played anyone yet?

18. malakas

malakas Member

See Nick Stauskas. A heralded college shooter. Until you have proven you can do it in the league you are nothing. He has the potential to be. Doens't mean he will.
    And also shooting it's also a part of skills of a player.good shooter=/= good player.
    Neither of those two are either good nba shooters or good nba players.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You can get away with being a bad shooter, less so now than days past, but if you bring other skills, especially really high end (see Dwight), it can work

You can also get away with bad shot mechanics, you will never be a good shooter, but you can be average, Terrence is not, and has shown no evidence of improvement in that area.

If Houston was interested in Jones long term, they probably would have dedicated resources to it, instead their approach of "be the best you can be right now" as opposed to "be the best you can ever be but in the future" gives an indication of which way the wind is blowing. He's an energy guy, one of the better backup 4's in the league, but these type of guys don't really get much better and tend to peak about 24 anyway.

#559 Aleron, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Larry Sanders for vet min.