1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2015-16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Regular season he was at 0.493. I didn't bother to actually run calculation (which is why I said probably), but if you include playoffs...Terry's corner threes are probably closer to Korver's percentage away from corner than to 0.500 much less Korver's corner percentage.

Korver 3 point shooting is much better than Terry's even if I'm incorrect on above statement.

2. malakas

malakas Member

That's a horrible trade for the kings. Unless by obvious you mean that the Kings gonna King and do stupid trades, this trade won't happen anytime soon. Payne isn't even replacement level.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The Kevin Martin trade above is creative and not a bad suggestion. All the same, I think I'd pass.

Maybe I'm alone on an island here, but I like the idea of being two-deep at every position like we are right now. I can't justify weakening our bench at two spots to justify upgrading the bench at one spot. Especially, with the oh-so-predictable injuries Martin will eventually deal with. I say this as somebody that believes KJ is going to surprise a lot of people and that TJ is too valuable to trade without an adequate replacement lined up.

I also think when you project their roles as a sixth man and sparkplug at the two guard, the gap between Brewer and Martin isn't as steep as you might think. While Martin obviously scorers as a far more efficient rate, he's also not the ball-hawk and one-man-fastbreak that Martin is. When Brewer is hot he's one of the best reserve guards in the league.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Its not really Martin vs. Brewer though, its Martin vs. Thornton.

5. finsraider

finsraider Member

I love Brewer in his proper playoff role.....to catch fire for a couple of games a series, but not to be relied on as a consistent contributor. Because of Beverley's injury we were forced to play him more in order to offset the lack of athleticism between Terry and Prigioni. Ideally Beverley stays healthy, and if you need additional defense at guard/forward, you go to McDaniels.

I feel like we are still a little short on shooters. All of our guards can shoot, but only 1 of our forwards (Ariza) and one of our bigs (DMo) can. Ideally Dekker would be another option, but he probably won't break into the rotation this year.

The obvious need on this team is for a 3/4 that can shoot and rebound. Again, I'd watch for who gets bought out rather than potential trades. A few on my radar:

David Lee
    Carl Landry
    Taj Gibson
    JJ Hickson
    Markieff Morris

None of these guys are elite shooters, but they are vets with respectable jumpers. For the minimum they are good options.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Nevermind on that last part. Lee and Hickson can't shoot.

I could see Landry as a legit possibility

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Thing is that it would absolutely have to heavily limit Brewers minutes, as well as Harden's, Ariza's, Beverley's and our PF's too. We just have no room for another 20+ MPG player in our back court. In fact, I don't even see the minutes for KJ, Thornton or Terry either, and those guys are rotation worthy players, lets not forget Harrell or Dekker too.

If we should be looking to do anything, it should be packaging a wing with one of our our bigs for an upgrade at the PF position. That way we can open up the wings a little bit and upgrade our weakest position.

8. larsv8

This team is good enough where we need our players as rested as possible for the playoffs, which means as few minutes as possible.

We have 96 minutes available between the 2-3 and then another 8-10 for small ball, for 105-110 minutes per game. I don't have Terry, McDaniels or Dekker in the rotation.

You probably want Harden and Ariza as close to 30 as possible, which leaves 20 a piece for Brewer and Martin. There are plenty of minutes to go around.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

There seems to be this widespread assumption that Thornton has already cemented himself as a figure in our rotation seemingly by default, when in reality he's a minimum salary player that hasn't been good in years.

That said, I'm rooting for him and hope he lights it up. But to speak as if he's going to steal minutes from Brewer, at this stage of the game, is very premature.

I think Brewer will serve as primary backup at both wing spots. I also think KJ is going to get a chance to establish himself as Ariza's understudy in a 48-minutes-of-hell sort of platoon. I have a gut feeling that is the end game here when it comes to our bench rotation.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Its one of those Kings trades where you could conjure up anything but it doesn't matter... I could see the Kings trading for Kevin Martin, and giving up McLemore in the process because Kevin Martin has Kings nostalgia, and is a bigger name. The trade machine mechanics really doesn't have to make sense at the core, I believe in Vivek to find a way.

11. dobro1229

So its basically comparing Martin vs. a guy who (if we were healthy going into a playoff rotation) would be 3rd string and probably out of the rotation? Is that a valuable use of resources & worth trading away a guy who actually plays at a position of need and major risk (major back surgery to starter & rookie backup)??

Look I get it... we all HATE... and I mean HATE Terrence Jones. Its crazy that this guy has moved beyond TWill/Squid level hate, but its really there. But moving him in a case to get a guy who would be that far back in the rotation with that little bit of use is beyond me. I'm down for trading Jones as much as anyone, but can we at least TRY to get a big back in the process if that is happening? And please let it be a big that is an actual upgrade. A Brandon Bass type doesn't qualify.

Maybe a Pau Gasol, Ryan Anderson, Ibaka, Horford, Nene, etc.

-Like a REAL upgrade

12. larsv8

First of all, please don't lump me into the group of village idiots who have an agenda against Jones. I don't. I like Jones, however, I recognize, at his prize tag, it is unlikely he will return next year, so I think it makes sense to move him to a team who would be interested in having his RFA rights and nab a more "win this year" player such as Kevin Martin or Ryan Anderson.

I don't mind an abundance of wings and a lack of bigs, because I feel like the small ball we saw Golden State use last year was fairly devistating.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Lee and Gibson aren't getting bought out except in a case of an unforseen new drama (see Lawson). Celtics are a po team and Gibson is a good player with good value and much needed right now.
    The others esp Landry is quite possible though.
    Landry and Hickson are horrible so I don't now why we would be interested.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Agreed. Finally someone says it.
    Wouldn't surprise me if Thornton is the worst player except the rookies and falls out of the rotation by January.

15. dobro1229

Trust me, I certainly do not lump you in that category. You have a good rep for a good reason.

That being said, this just goes to show that the narrative that is pushed in order to build a case with making Jones an afterthought has actually worked with our fanbase. Why fans can't differentiate between 2012 Rockets vs. 2015 Rockets is beyond me. The narrative pushers have tricked everyone into thinking we are still back then where rotation players on short term contracts NEED TO BE moved. Which is the opposite now with good examples being the trades for Brewer and Prigioni which actually cost the Rockets 4 picks to get two one-year contracts.

Jones should be viewed as a one-year contract rotation player, but he's not. Why that is, I have no idea.

The question should be, does he serve a purpose at a position of need, or is he useless. If you think he's useless and not going to be a useful part of the rotation than that's another thing.

IMO, I'd be ok trading him, but I want to see it be part of a true upgrade at the big man rotation. Even if we are going small at key times, its still imperative in the NBA to play big, and have bigs that can hit free throws & be a big who can play in a small lineup at least which was an issue last year even in the playoffs.

People use the GS narrative all the time with how the game changed, but I find it to be a little dismissive of how important Bogut has been, how big Festus was in the playoffs, and how well the wings (Iggy, Harrison, etc.) did big man things that alot of wings wont be able to do like on the Rockets.

Long story short, backing up Dwight, I'm not comfortable with only a recovering D-Mo, 2nd year Capela (who seems oft injured himself), and a rookie Harrell who likes to take fade away jumpers. Im more intrigued with big man depth to get a guy like a Nene or Gasol who could play alongside Dwight, but also back him up. However its going to be tough to solve with so little to trade and the potential hard cap issues. As a one-year contract, I find it hard to see much improvement beyond Jones unfortunately.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Lure Larry Sanders back for vet min.

17. Chamillionaire

Doesn't he have a serious anxiety problem that led to depression?

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Maybe it is just wishful thinking but the Wolves have 16 guaranteed and 1 partial guaranteed contracts. Then you take into account the people that they signed after they had a full roster (assume they aren't getting rid of those guys) and they are going to have some tough cuts...especially to get to 15. You either have to do 2 for 1 trades or find that team, that is willing to part with a first AND has cap space OR a TE. There are just a few that criteria.

Nets - nope
    Miami - nope
    Bucks - nope
    Cleveland - nope
    76ers - doubtful they give up a first and they have a full roster.
    Warriors - possible but they too have a full roster and will their pick be worse than ours?
    Thunder - doubtful as they too have a full roster
    Portland - doubtful they give up a first and they have a full roster

Making a 2 for 1 work is hard to find the right partner without giving up too much in prospects. Most teams are full at this time and aren't looking to add more so they have to cut even more.

I don't think they are going to get full value. 75 cents on the dollar is better than 0. So if they don't want to not cut someone for nothing, I think the Rockets TE and a first for what will be your 3 string C is a fair value offer at this time.

Or I'm just a homer...

19. Chamillionaire

I'd rather just give those minutes to CC. We have a great backup C already. I'm confused, am I missing something here?

20. fattz

fattz Member

Mitch McGray from OKC would fit nicely here in Houston. Adams would solve a lot of problems as a backup big. Both on rookie contract and solid role players. Giving up Capela this early hurts but fills needs with cheap serviceable talent.

Adams and McGray
    For
    Jones and Capela