1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2015-16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Dentyne

Dentyne Member

Totally right on about his D.

If he and Harden are on the floor together at the same time, Rockets would never get any stops.

Seriously needs to get a shooting coach

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm going to explain why I think DeRozan would fit here, once last time Me posting off season plan idea's including DeRozan is not because "I don't want to hear the truth", i'm not confused, and I know about DeRozan's game.

Did you guys know that DeRozan has been in the top 4 in free throws made per game for the last 3 seasons? Do you know that DeRozan is an elite high volume finisher at the basket? Like he's more efficient finishing at the rim then Harden?

DeRozan averaged 4 assist, and only 2.2 turnovers(which is solid considering he's his teams leading scorer). Where are you getting the notion that he doesn't have play making abilities? 4 assist when you're not the leading ball handler on your team (Lowry) is impressive. I wish we had someone who could have averaged another 4 assist next to Harden this season.

I think DeRozan would be an excellent second option next to Harden, I think with their styles of play they could dominate, both fit in a high paced offense, both monster fast break players, constantly slashing to the rim scoring/drawing fouls would put immense pressure on opposing defenses, at the same time both players are more then capable passers, meaning they will constantly give open looks to each other and their teammates.

I firmly believe if we are going to win Harden needs a second all star scoring option, a player that will average over 20 ppg, and can create for his self and others(which is exactly what DeRozan does)

DeRozan has a go to clutch elbow/mid range jumper that he creates for him self, yes it's not the most efficient but he has a mid range shot that opposing teams have to respect(which opens the floor). Although it's a small sample, DeRozan has on average has shot 40% from the corners the last 2 seasons as well which is interesting.

What really would make the spacing work between Harden and DeRozan, though, is Harden's 3pt shot. Harden was 3rd in made three's this season, Harden is a superstar that spaces the floor, which is perfect because that's you need when you have DeRozan (Lowry was 5th in made 3's). As long as we have shooters surround DeRozan we will be peachy.

On defense both Harden and DeRozan are highly capable physically, both are tremendous athletes with plenty of size and length for the wing positions. I don't believe DeRozan is a bad defender because he isn't capable, he has all the size, strength and athleticism in the world. Neither play up to their full capabilities and that will be their jobs to change that if they want to win a ring. I know DeRozan isn't a plus defender, but he is a all star, the second best player on the market this summer and would bring the talent necessary for a ring.

To finish this post I will name the reasons I think DeRozan to Houston could actually be a possibility.

1 - Morey knows all about DeRozan's FT shooting and efficiency at the rim, which where two big factors Morey loved Harden.

2 - DeRozan's exit interview didn't sound so promising for the Raps. He kept saying how important winning was and how bad he wants it as well(could ex out the Lakers as landing spot)

3 - Harden. Harden is a top 5 player in this league, if DeRozan wants to win, he knows he will have to team up with a legit superstar to have a chance.

3.5 Harden and DeRozan both grew up in LA, both played on team USA, they are childhood friends, both consider each other best friends.

- http://www.nba.com/raptors/features/mackenzie_derozan081114

- http://athlonsports.com/nba/raptors’-derozan-scores-42-bests-childhood-friend-james-harden

1 person likes this.
  3. Pete the Cheat

a Conley, Harden, DeRozan backcourt wouldn't be the worst looking thing in the world with our style of play...

DeRozan actually has a higher TS% than Conley since he gets to the line so much. Would look even betteer if he worked on that 3

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Repped, I was aware of some of those things but you articulate it every nicely. I agree that both Harden and DeRozan SHOULD be better defenders given their athleticism, but they're not. I would be hesitant for DeRozan because unlike Harden, he's never shown for a single season that he can be even an average defender, and because I don't want to see the offense turn into "your turn, my turn" like OKC. But you're right that I shouldn't be so derisive about DeRozan.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Look, its well thought out and offensively, in a MDA system.. wow, could be fun to watch.

But as far as winning, you've got to think about defense. And defense is all about flexibility. In today's NBA of switching, you want your players to be flexible defensively. You want your PG to be able to guard PG/SG. You want your SG to be able to guard PG, SG, SF. You want your SF to be able to guard SG, SF, PF.

And the guys that are the absolute best do a great job guarding all 5 positions.

Not only are Harden and Derozan below average defenders as is, just when guarding their man, neither are super flexible. Harden, at least, is semi-competent on the block.

But you're basically advocating having a SF who is nowhere near as flexible defensively as you need. I just don't see how it works defensively.

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That's my main worry too. If you score 130 and give up 140 because neither of your wings defend, that's not very good basketball.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I didn't know Harden and Derozan are friends.

Hard for this scenario to meterialize...with Dwight gone we absolutely need a front court player, especially a 4 since we don't even know if D.Mo can stay healty and/or will still be here, the 4 spot should be (i'd say "is") our priority.
    after Durant obviously :grin:

8. malakas

malakas Member

There's also a major skill overlap in offence as well with both attacking the rim. That will have a negative effect instead of a positive.

Defence also. It's nice in theory to say "they have all the tools" but many players in the league have the tools but are bad defenders. When both the pillars of the team are both bad defenders and at the same time they both love most to attack the rim then it will end up being a "my turn your turn" offence and then both suck at the wing defence type of team.

And to finish you said that the post interview didn't look good for the Raps. They reached the ECF how it wasn't good for them? Derozan has been flirting with the Lakers for a long while now and he went and pretty much straight up said that he values winning. That's a clear vote of confidence to the Raptors.
    And what about us? We are not only in the Western Conference, but barely made the playoffs this year. Why would he leave Toronto to come here? Less money and less opportunity to win.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of DeRozan's game (it's too Rudy Gay-ish for my taste), but at this juncture I would definitely take him.

Hypothetically, if we're able to do the whole 'two max contract this summer' thing and I'm somebody like Al Horford, if I see Harden and DeRozan and I feel the need for a change of scenery, I'm definitely considering Houston.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It might be worth a try but the defense will suck. But you could try and then move him at the deadline for Blake Griffin. :grin:

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I agree with everything here, except the last sentence, i mean, they went to the conference finals, but they'll never win anything with this roster, this year they are going to pay Derozan and maybe Biyombo, next season Lowry will opt out asking more money...the roster is this for them, unless Ujiri is able to trade somehow for a superstar but yeah, i don't see this coming. If i'm a player and i want a chance to win, i would always prefer Houston over Toronto as today.

12. malakas

malakas Member

all it takes it's a Lebron injury and you make the finals.
    On the other hand for a West team it takes to win against one or more of the Spurs/Warriors/OKC.
    As a player you think he will believe he's closer to win in a team in the East that just made the ECF or with a team in the West with MDA as coach, with a bad lockeroom that barely manage to make the playoffs? With basically only Harden on the roster?
    If I were a player and my choices were between Toronto, Houston and Lakers I would choose Toronto. Unlikely to win in any team, but at least with the Craptors I will have much better chance to make the ECF and maybe the finals as well.
    Lebron can't be healthy forever and the East is so much easier than the West.

That's why when he said in the postseason interview that he values winning it was a vote of confidence to the Raptors. They just made the ECF.
    Unless one of the best teams in OKC, GSW or Spurs or Cavs want him which they don't, then what possibly other could he mean? Houston? nope.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Harden and another max player (maybe). MDA is obviously not amazing but it's not like Casey is the opposite...but for me, it's about the chance to just have a better team around, with Morey you know the Rockets are always looking to be at the top in the end, Masai is known to overpay role player, if i was a player i would not expect a contending roster with Masai as gm honestly.

That said, it's true that one injury to Lebron can give you a great chance to the finals, but:

1. you will still lose easily

2. it's not like the Raptors have a pass to ECF because they made it this year...i'm not even sure they are better than an healty Miami Heat...in fact i think they are not

3, we still don't know if next year other eastern conference teams will rise an be better than them, and teams like Orlando, Indiana, Chicago, Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Milwaukee are all teams that with one right move (and not necessarily a big one) have a chance to be at the same level if not better than the Raptors

Btw i am NOT a fan of Derozan, so i'm not speaking this way cause i want him here, just saying ;)

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why? Lowry attacks the rim like crazy and fits with DeRozan.

LeBron and Wade did it perfectly as well. It's not like its two players who both can't shoot or pass, now that wouldn't work.

When one of them has killer 3pt shot, when both are good passers, it's definitely a positive IMO.

15. fattz

fattz Member

Saw and liked...
    Bev and Brewer
    For
    Marshall, #24 & #26

Bev is a fit with Ben Simmons and the 76er's As a whole. Brewer should have value on the new 76er's, too.

-Pick up Tim Luwalu with #24 if his there (Airza's spot)
    -Trade #26 back for high end 2nd rounders - Boston, Bucks or NOP-->Petr Cornelie and BPA this is were our depth will come from for years to come
    Or
    Trade up with Ariza and #26 --> mid teens
    -Marshall is a back up point (Terry's spot)
    -Dekker (Brewer's spot)
    -Sign DMo
    -FA Mario Chambers (If health) or Matt Dellavedova ($3.5 to 5M per year) (Bev's spot)

16. Borneoman

Borneoman Member

East is easy, but i just couldnt understand why your supertalented young bucks couldnt make the playoff.

17. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Dekker and Brewer for Nerlens Noel????

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They will laugh at us.

19. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Quick way to get Philly to block our number.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Honestly i can see Colangelo taking Brewer for a 2nd rounder or one a young guy like Holmes.