1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2014-15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Indiana in: D-mo, NOP 1st, Clint Capela, Isaiah Canaan, Alonzo Gee, Alex Len

Phoenix in: Roy Hibbert

Houston in: Goran Dragic

Something with this base idea. A lot more to consider, but it's a starting point.

1 person likes this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Hmmmmm.

I like this as a basic structure. The problem I could foresee is the Pacers wanting more talent then what is in that deal. Something like:

Houston In: Millsap
    Houston Out: TJones, DMo, Rights to Sergio Llull, NYK 2nd, Gee, Hopson

Atlanta In: Hibbert, NYK 2nd
    Atlanta Out: Millsap, Schroder, Atlanta 1st

Indy In: TJones, DMo, Schroder, Rights to Sergio Llull, Atlanta 1st, Gee, Hopson
    Indy Out: Hibbert

This would be a tankeristic move by Indy, but I think it's the right decision for them. They need an influx of talent.

Then the Rockets could turn around and:

Houston In: Dragic
    PHX In: NOP 2015 1st, MIN/DEN 2015 2nd, Capela, Canaan, Covington, and SnT Garcia or Hamilton

Sign Papanikolaou and Okafor by splitting the remaining MLE.

Dragic / Beverley
    Harden / Daniels
    Ariza / Papanikolaou
    Millsap / Adrien
    Howard / Okafor / Dorsey

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Would Denver consider blowing it up? And more importantly, would Lawson fit in with Harden? I haven't really followed him.

I'd like something like this (with us likely sending out a first round pick to Denver):
    http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p96rk7c

I'd also consider another deal where we send Capela out and get either Pachula, Mozgov, or JJ Hickson.

I think a starting lineup of :
    Lawson/Beverly
    Harden/Daniels/Johnson
    Ariza/Covington
    Illyasova/Adrien/Dorsey
    Howard/veteran center

is pretty good. We'd still need to bolster the backup 2 or 3- but that's a very potent lineup. Especially since we can use Lawson to shoulder minutes and the scoring load from Harden (by playing Lawson next to Beverly when Harden sits).

4. kchin

kchin Member

I doubt Kevin Martin will want to come back. He's already had experience with the train wreck that is Daryl Morey. Plus he and Kevin McHale clashed philosophically on the court.

5. rocketseagles07

Come on now. If you were Phoenix would you make that deal? Be realistic

6. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well, I don't know if there's a big gap between those picks. Atlanta is probably about 16-19, if they stay healthy. Pelicans are probably12-14, if they stay healthy, with a chance to make the playoffs, in which case they will pass many East playoff teams and end up at like 19-20.

It's not a bad pick, but neither Pelicans pick or Atlanta pick is likely to be an all star.

Anyway, that offer has some nice assets. But I think it's a square peg / round hole type of offer. I don't think Indiana will offload Hibbert for a bunch of mediocre prospects and a mediocre pick, nor do I think they should. He's healthy and just entering his prime, there's no reason to move him, unless they get an impression that he doesn't want to be there and will leave this summer (and I'm not getting that vibe so far).

If they move Hibbert, it has to be some legit piece, not some role players with a very slim chance for one of them to turn into an all star. Otherwise, why not keep him.

Even if they wanted to tank, Hibbert isn't stopping them from tanking by himself.

And as I said, I just don't see a tank anyway. They are actually talking to Shawn Marion right now. Which is very typical and predictable. They've been doing this thing for 25 years. They don't tank. If bad **** happens, they'll rather treadmill than tank. The Pacers owner didn't want to tank when he was 59 years old, he didn't want it at 69, he's not going to change now and want it at 79.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think they have to wait for Gallo to come back. They are still as talented as when they kept winning 50 games every year. They need Gallo healthy, and then they need to think if the coach is right. They shouldn't be blowing it up yet.

8. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Phoenix in: Terrence Jones, Canaan, Gee, Nick Johnson, Lotto protected 1st rounder from Minny, NOP pick

Houston in: Goran Dragic, Kevin Martin (absorb with TPE)

Minnesota in: Josh Powell

Minnesota has obviously been trying to get Kevin Martin dealt. If they don't manage it in the Love trade, I'd bet they're still open to it elsewhere. They'd of course attach a sweetener. Not sure if a lotto protected 1st is enough, but it's an idea.

Too much? Not enough?

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Id actually remove PHX entirely. I think with Kevin Martin playing 6th man, we dony necessarily need a pg like Dragic. Also, Im wary of trading away Jones without receiving another PF back.

10. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Looking at the Rockets point guard situation, it seems as if something is missing. Patrick Beverley is unquestionably a force on the defensive end and a morale leader, but his ability to effectively run the ball on the offensive end comes into question. With the backups (Canaan, Smith) their problem is a lack of certainty that they can get the job done. It may seem unlikely, but I believe Randy Foye is the right man for Rockets right now.

Randy Foye is quietly one of the better bargains in the nba. At 30 years of age, he has a three year contract worth roughly 3 million a year. His last year is also a team option, so he can even be let go during the summer of 2016.

As far as his numbers go, we can do a player comparison from 2013-2014:
    Player A: 27 mpg, 44 fg%, 36 3%, 4.1 apg., 12.5 ppg, 2.5 topg
    Player B: 30 mpg, 41 fg%, 38 3%, 3.5 apg., 13.2 pog, 1.8 topg

Player B is Randy Foye, and Player A is former Clutchfans superstar Jeremy Lin.

We traded jeremy Lin because he wasn't producing up to the 8 million he put on the books, but why not replace him with a player who costs 60% less and puts up nearly identical numbers while shooting threes better?

On top of this, the backcourt of Denver is getting crowded. Ty Lawson is the undisputed starter with Nate Robinson as the backup while rookie Gary Harris and Aaron Afflalo were added to the team.

Where the Nuggets lack talent is the front court, and I believe a package of Motiejunas, Canaan as well one of our smaller trade exceptions would be enough for Foye.

Without a reliable point guard to run the second unit, the rockets bench will be helpless. Daryl, if you have an account and are reading, please make this move!

11. fattz

fattz Member

DMo for Foye is overpaying for Foye

Chandler Wilson is the odd man out there, too (he can cover sg / sf / pf as a plus defender) They need skilled Bigs and picks - - - Jones or DMo, Chapela, NOP pick, 2 2nd rounders & (filler) - - - may get it done.

(DMo or JONES), Chapela, NOP & 2 2nd rounders & (filler)
    ...for...
    CW & Foye

we get
    -starting point (better 3pt shooting with solid D and nice fit next to Harden)
    -perfect small ball PF
    -a bench (less a back-up 5 in Dorsey)
    -perimeter D --- Bev / Ariza / CW / Foye & Johnson (rookie) (PLUS read that Harden is playing D for team USA)

IF Dorsey really can play THAN we are a better TEAM than LAST SEASON

"with Rocket Red colored goggles"
    Parsons = Ariza (CP's O vs TA's D)
    Asik =/< CW (plus defenders 5 only vs 2, 3, or 4)
    Lin < Foye (see post)

Jones = DMo

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I can't help it, but for some reason I picturing McHale and Martin engaging in the epic taste great versus less filling debate.

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Now that love got traded, look for the twolves to have a firesale. Would love to get Corey brewer.

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I understand he cannot shoot or score at this point, but you have to be intrigued by the possibility of Rubio.

1. If we could get Rubio and push Bev to the bench, we have elite defense at the PG position. Both can also be effective on SG.

2. Rubio can utilize his length to pass into Howard and create for Howard.

3. James Harden will not die from overexertion as he carries us by himself creating on the offensive end.

4. Still a young player that can improve.

I know that ultimately he probably doesn't provide the spacing we would need but I just like him as a player.

15. basketballholic

I agree with a lot of this. I do believe Rubio is going to become an effective 3-point shooter. He'll probably push 36-37% this season from 3 and will only continue to get better. And really that's the only hole in his game. He is probably the best defensive point guard in the league already. Rubio would help take this team to the top in steals and to the bottom in turnovers, which are two key areas that we lack in. I also believe in 2 years Rubio will be challenging CP3 for best PG in the NBA.

I'd rather have Rubio than Bledsoe or Rondo at this point.

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

He doesn't bring anything extra to the table that we don't already have with Ariza. I'd love to have him, but we have bigger priorities and Brewer won't come free.

Our needs are (in order):

1) stretch 4 that doesn't get killed on the defensive end
    2) second ball-handler besides Harden
    3) backup wing
    4) another defensive big

(ball-handling PG) / Beverley
    Harden / Daniels
    Ariza / (backup wing)
    (stretch 4) / DMo
    Howard / (defensive big) / Dorsey

Assuming we can fill those gaps with medium to high quality players, I think we can make a run.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Pretty much agree with that roster list and breakdown. That roster also has T Jones, Nick Johnson and Isaiah Canaan.

18. rocketseagles07

Rubio can't even make open mid-range jumpers how is he going to become and effective 3 point shooter. Dude has never shot over 36% in his career be real

19. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

1. Covington and 2 2nds for Kirilenko
    2. Bledsoe for Canaan, , non guaranteed contracts, Llull rights, 2 1sts (NOP 1st included)
    3. Sign Barbosa
    4. Sign Okafor
    Trade Capela for Delfino and Mil 2nd

Bledsoe/Beverley/Barbosa
    Harden/Daniels/Johnson
    Ariza/Kirilenko/Delfino
    Jones/DMo/Adrien
    Howard/Okafor/Dorsey

20. fattz

fattz Member

Ball - Handling PG - Foye 3&D (ball in Harden's hands)
    Back up wing - Chandler Wilson (covers 2 / 3/ 4 with plus defense)
    Stretch 4 - Spacing? Kieff Mooris out side jumper not 3pt but spaces the floor
    Defensive Big - sign Okafor (home town)

two trades that will help the other team, too. Sign Okafor to his home town team