1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2014-15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

small targets are the most likely if we dont land a big fish by the trade deadline.

mirza teletovic is a guy i can see us targetting. great stretch 4, could be cheaply attained. expiring with a qualifying offer. probably be had for dmo or even as cheap as a 2nd.

deals like this are likely to happen. our dream scenario would have to be either millsap or horford but who knows if that is viable. atlanta pwill make the playoffs in the east and that team is determined to be stuck in mediocrity.

since this thread is always about dream scenarios... here I go

Houston Out: Jones/Capella/Terry/k.Pap/NOP1st
    Houston In: Horford/Thabo

Atlanta Out: Horford/Thabo
    Atlanta In: Jones/Capella/Terry/k.Pap/NOP1st

atlanta gets a valued asset in NOP1st, a solid youngster in jones, a intrigueing prospect in capella, and 2 large expring contracts. if they are trading horford, they are likely trading millsap. so no worry about jones/millsap debate and the not having a center debate. they finish tanking and land 2 lottery picks, and likely another 1st from trading millsap.

we get our third star, while taking on a bad contract and potential reclamation project. letting morey turn his attention to our bench which will be decimated... but i'd easily go to war with...

Bev
    Harden
    Ariza
    Horford
    Dwight

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Im surprised we are not going after Jason Kapono since he got waived by the Warriors.

4. haydenfisher342

Marc J. Spears: The Rockets cut two guaranteed contracts totaling nearly $2 million by waiving Jeff Adrien & Ish Smith. Twitter @SpearsNBAYahoo

If that doesnt spell trade I dont know what else would

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's far too much to give up .... Kills your depth at the PF spot.

Also Gibson's contract is 3 years .... Not sure Morey would take that deal on as it would cost him an asset to dump it if he needed that space later for a "special player."

If I did swing that deal , I don't give up both Jones + DMo + the NO pick. And if Chicago's motive is to shed salary , the price sure shouldn't be so steep.
    Maybe T.Jones + a future lotto protected pick with Gibson coming into the Lin TPE as it is large enough to absorb his contract.

Ryan Anderson misses fitting into the Lin TPE by just over $116k ....

How's that ?! Those contracts were a bit larger than those they kept .... and would have allowed a greater return in a trade than these min deals they did keep.

Their biggest asset in terms of bringing in talent is the Lin trade exception which cant be added to in terms of bringing back salary - It is what it is and no more. Tho it could be used in a simultaneous trade .....

6. jedicro

jedicro Member

I wonder if Morey would be willing to kick the tires on Ersan Ilyasova. He had a horrifically bad year last year and he's on a relatively large contract. Also they just drafted Jabari. I'm willing to be they would be willing to trade him for the trade exception straight up (or, TE for some other contract, then pair that with Terry). That would make our bench stronger by sending Jones down, and if he returns to form at all gives us a legit stretch 4. We could then use the rest of our assets (picks, Jones, DMo, etc) to get proven bench players. The downside is that would destroy our caproom the next 2 offseasons.

Ilyasova was a darn good player before last year. He shot 45% from 3 for 2 straight years and had a PER around 20. Adding him, plus having a stronger bench, doesn't sound half bad.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I thought about mentioning Ilyasova in the above post as he does fit nicely into the Lin TPE but that contract does hurt going forward & would likely have a significant cost to dump (See Lin being shipped to LA) .... and he's not much better as a defender than Jones.
    If I'm to tie up that cap space or be forced to spend a significant asset to later dump the contract , the player has to be a clear upgrade on both ends of the floor.

8. jedicro

jedicro Member

I don't really disagree with anything you said except for 2 things. If Ilyasova is able to return to form at all, his outside shooting would be a huge upgrade over what TJ does. Also, trading for him means not giving up anything (or hardly anything) So TJones could go to the bench (which I think he would be a great bench player) and all our other assets could be used to bolster the bench, which is our biggest weakness by far. If we trade for Millsap that's great..but our bench will be horrendously bad if we have to send any of our main bench guys.

It's not the most ideal situation for the reasons you listed, but I'm scared we might waste a year of Dwight's prime if we sit around hoping a better offer comes along.

9. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

Look for a PF like Tristan Thopmson

Thompson a starter last year/ 2013-14 Season: 11.7 PPG, 9.2 RPG .4 BLKP.
    for Clevland, is going to be buried on the bench. We should make a play, swap PF's (either Doughnuts or Jones) and Popanickle for the ex longwhore. What say you community?

10. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I don't think this team needs another soft non-rebounding Euro to pair next to Dwight.

11. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I see this has been discussed at length.... disregard.

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That's really not that much to be giving up for Gibson. People really gotta see that Dmo has no value. Tjones is a nice filler but Morey would move him with no hesitation for an upgrade. Combining those two and the NOP pick for a very solid PF would be a great deal. Its true that his contract with 3 yrs remaining isnt ideal but I would hope Morey would look past that if the Bulls were willing to do that deal. Which I doubt they would.

13. NotChandlerParsons

Check his rebounding numbers, his healthy seaosns he's been quite a good rebounder.

14. treyk3

treyk3 Member

15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

A note on Ilyasova - IIRC the last year of his deal is not guaranteed. So it is actually 2 year deal he is working on

16. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Would fit into Lin TPE

17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Actually $400K is guaranteed in the last year. It becomes fully guaranteed if he is not cut before July 1, 2016.

18. Chamillionaire

Can we get Milsap without giving up Dwight, Harden, Ariza, or Terry?

19. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Yes. Could fit into Lin TPE

20. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Or close to it