1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2014-15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just spit balling some out-of-the box ideas, without really thinking them through.

I've read two recent rumors:
    1.) Knicks may trade down to get Cameron Payne
    2.) Charlotte might use their pick to dump Lance Stephenson

I wonder if it makes sense to eat those contracts to move up and nab the #4, if we could even make the contracts work.

Something around the principle of:

Calderon, Stephenson, #4 to us

New York gets the #9, #18

Charlotte gets the out of Stephenson's contract, and maybe Jones.

Calderon is a nice offensive PG, low turnovers, great 3pt shooter. Stephenson is a bit of a nutcase, but a great wing defender. We were playing Ariza almost 42+ minutes per game in the playoffs, so having another defensive workhorse could beneficial. Point is, both of those guys are considered questionable contracts which we might be able to get some use out of, while picking up a great asset in the process.

We could do any number of things with the #4 pick. Whether you like Mudiay, WCS or Winslow, or you want to use it to trade for a stud rotation player.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

The Rockets would need upwards of 20 mil in cap space to make that deal, I don't think that's possible. Besides, if Charlotte really wanted to give no.9 pick for dropping an expiring, I think there would be multiple teams interested in that. Especially considering that Lance can be an ok player in the right situation.

3. basketballholic

Can't see Charlotte giving up #9 just to move Lance out. It won't create cap space for them to do anything. They may have been willing to trade their pick during last season when things were going to hell with Lance. But at this point he's essentially an expiring contract. They can (and may) just send him home and tell him to hang out until the trade deadline if they can't find a taker for his contract now without sending out an asset with him.

4. larsv8

No they wouldn't

Calderon makes 7m, Lance makes 9m. With the trade rules you would really only need to come up with about 11m or so. Haven't crunched the numbers so I don't know how close we could get to that.

Just going by what I read. Chad Ford chat I think it was.

Charlotte has the 9, btw.

With them, they are always cost conscious, so it might be a money thing.

5. Normalus

Normalus Member

This is interesting...
    [​IMG]

6. basketballholic

#9 at the cost of Lance for one year would be an automatic yes. If we could trade say Kostas, Pablo for #9 and Lance, that is a no-brainer. That means we could merge #9 and #18 and possibly move up to #5 or #6, maybe even #4 with another small asset thrown in.

That's just not in the cards.

Now, here's an enticing deal for Charlotte that they MIGHT do. But I doubt if we would do it. That is #9 and Lance for #18 and Trevor.

However, a better deal would be #18 and Trevor for #8 and the non-guaranteed contracts of Caron Butler, Anthony Tolliver, and Shawne Williams.

7. dje243

dje243 Member

It was national doughnut day.

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

EDIT.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

In that trade, you want to absorb those players into cap space, so numbers won't work that way. That reduction happens when you trade players for players. If you trade players into cap space, you need the whole 16 mil plus of pure cap space.

Upgrading the draft pick will also cut a couple mil into cap space, because the no.4 salary is higher than no.18.

Then a few more mil will be gone to cover roster spot cap holds, because the Rockets would need to get rid of most of their players before this trade.

So 20 mil plus. I guess it might be possible to reduce that number by sending some players back, but then the Rockets offer probably gets less sexy.

10. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Would be great, but Charlotte won't waste #9 just to dump Stephenson. No chance, at all.

As for the contracts, with Papa, Prig, Jones, Johnson and Dorsey that would still only be about $10.6M, so they couldn't make it work without adding another asset like Capela or Dmo, anyway.

11. Normalus

Normalus Member

Seems legit...if not that retweet tho
    They have a lot to offer at the other hand ;)

12. larsv8

You are trying to make all this work under the cap, I am envisioning it over the cap.

The outline I made was just the principle of the trade, which means you need about 11m in salaries to send out to match the contracts of Calderon and Lance. This has nothing to do with cap space.

Furthermore, trading picks has no salary matching rules, until the pick is made.

Since KPap, Pablo, Jones, Johnson and Dorsey is just about 11m, you could probably make it legal with a little work, although my quick and dirty math looked a tiny bit short.

13. larsv8

If you broke it into two trades, with the 1.5x +100k rule, you might be able to make it work. Although you might have to get a little creative, possibly with a fourth team.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

Here's something simple I can see us doing:
    The Nets only have Atlanta's 1st round pick this year and in 2019. They need young talent and picks.

HOU sends:
    Jones and Papanikolanu to the Nets
    #18 pick to the Nets (or to a third team for a 2016 pick)

Brooklyn sends:
    Jarrett Jack

Assuming we bring over Llull, lose Bev, and resign Smith (which I think will happen) this gives us a solid guard rotation to play next to Harden at a relatively small cost. What player are we realistically going to draft at 18 that could be on a Jarrett Jack level in a season or two? Likely none. Hell, this trade is even possible salary wise if we replace Jones with a small contract like Dorsey's- although that would likely mean throwing in another pick (perhaps Portland's 2017 2nd rounder).

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I misunderstood your idea then. I thought you were talking about absorbing these players into cap (which would obviously be in July, i.e. after the draft).

I think you'll need like 13 mil salaries in the trade you propose (outgoing plus 25 percent plus 100k), but it should be possible.

But it's just not sexy, since most of these players are guaranteed for next year. Both teams downgrade their pick situations, and Houston still offloads 8 mil or so guaranteed salary on them, in some combination. I bet someone would give more for the no.4 pick.

To be fair, I didn't think it was sexy even when I thought we were talking about pure cap space.

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Houston out: k.pap/prigs/dorsey/#18
    Houston in: Collison/foye

Sacramento out: collison/mclemore/future 1st
    Sacramento in: Lawson/dorsey

Denver out: Lawson/foye
    Denver in: mclemore/k.pap/prigs/future sac1st/#18

Thoughts?

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Collison and Foye scream mediocrity.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I could see it as option G.... after Lowry, Lawson and a few other options...

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

You should look at their numbers instead of name value.

I agree. It's def a lower scale trade and likely a plan f add you mentioned.

Just trying to speculate outside the box traded instead of the typical Aldridge/love type trade

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm thinkin JJ Barea would make a nice addition.... as bu pg (w Bev or someone else)/6th man as a spark off the bench... I could see him being beneficial.... Being a free agent, Idk if we could attain... could somebody sign him for us and then trade him to us for KPap nonguaranteed? Idk how current snt rules are... Collison could also fill that role... but i wouldnt want to spend a whole lot....