1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I see a much more limited trade market for Carmelo.

He is essentially an expiring, so any team with cap space this off season likely won't put in a bid.

Teams with young up and coming studs would be hesitant of including them for fear he would just walk at the end of the season and they would be stuck with nothing.

The only real teams I could see having an interest would be teams who need a push to get to the championship level. Perhaps Chicago, Atlanta, Memphis, Houston and maybe LAC. But what would those teams really offer that trumps Asik/Lin/Dmo? Furthermore, some of those teams would be wary of paying Melo a Kobe esque max contract well into his 30s.

2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

harden would come off the bench.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

HOU IN: Melo
    HOU Out: Lin, Asik, TJones, 2014 1st, 2016 1st

ATL IN: Asik, TJones
    ATL Out: Millsap, 2014 1st (Swap with Nets)

NYK In: Lin, Millsap, Rockets 2014 1st, Rockets 2016 1st, ATL 2014 1st (Swap with Nets)
    NYK Out: Melo

HOU Lineup
    Beverley / Brooks
    Harden / Garcia
    Parsons / Casspi
    Melo / Casspi
    Dwight / Smith

ATL Lineup
    Teague / Mack
    Korver / Lou Williams
    Carroll / Martin
    Horford / TJones
    Asik / TJones

NYK Lineup
    Lin / Felton
    JR Smith / Hardaway Jr
    Shumpert / Metta
    Millsap / Stoudemire
    Chandler / Bargani

4. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

One option to make Morey gives up Parsons is the possibility of NYK includes Shumpert in that deal. I think isn't good to lose Asik, Lin and Parsons for only Melo.

Asik + Lin + Parsons for Melo + Shumpert.

Rockets may includes two or three draft picks and Jones or D-Mo.

And Melo won't accept to came off bench, but if Morey makes magic and we keep Parsons and bring Melo we can keep one of Harden, Parsons and Melo always on the floors. This could make us a contender (really contender).

After all I don't see Knicks giving Melo for what we have to offer.
    This could make sense if Chandler be traded for Rondo with the Celtics.

Lin, Rondo, Shumpert (Parsons), Jones, Asik in New York.

(Excuse my poor english)

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

They'd want tjowns instead of dmo.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Sounds like a lot of the same lingo that was going on around town when Orlando was trading Howard and people around here THOUGHT Houston had the best trade package for Howard...

Lin and Asik are soon to be unrestricted free agents and it's no guarantee they will stay in NY and they will be owed $30 million their last year which makes them pretty much high paid non star rental players (and NY still has Tyson). Even if they include Parsons _ he's soon to be a restricted free agent so they would have to pay to keep him and you have to wonder how good Parsons would be without being on the floor with Harden and Howard. And D-Mo is completely unproven. They could possibly lose Asik, Lin, and Parsons and only have D-Mo to show for giving up Melo...

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Agree with most of this. The problem is getting NY to make the trade. Unlike LMA and Love, we don't have the cap room in 2014 to sign Melo outright. Even if we were able to dump Lin, Asik, TJones, and DMo over the summer and get back zero salary in return, we still wouldn't have enough space to sign Melo.

8. fattz

fattz Member

OKC in Asik / out Perkins and Lamb
    Houston in Perkins and Lamb / out Asik

Works for both teams..

Yes OKC has Adams but they are a win now team and need Help down low today. Asik works as a very nice rental till Adams become the player they need in a year or two - as Asik comes of the books. Lamb is giving them some spacing off the bench but a good center is hard to find. This move may bring a ring to OKC.

If Perkins plays it doesn't really matter -- He is a vet big with playoff experience. We get Lamb (and his shooting) back. He has started to play some point as of late, too. He is perfect fit and we get back "the one that got away".

Thoughts?

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Can`t we go over the cap to resign one of our own players? Or did you mean, we don`t pose a threat to them in stealing Melo in FA and thus are not worthy trading partners? If so, I disagree - there are several threats including LA, so if they feel that he doesn`t want to stay in NY, they will just be looking for the best deal.

I never thought I´d say that, but I would love to have Melo. He could be the stretch 4 and do all the scoring heavy lifting when Harden is out. He would have to buy in to some team ball of course, but if he just looks at Miami, he might do that to get that title. I guess it would take Asik, Parsons and Lin - and 1 or 2 first rounders. Maybe TJones would be in the discussion as well. We might be able to get Shumpert as well though.

Harden, Melo, Howard - and to have Beverly, Garcia, Casspi, Brooks, Smith and possibly TJones and/or Shumpert - that looks pretty good, if not championship worthy.

10. cw3k

cw3k Member

Knicks would love the Asik, Lin and Parson + pick for Melo.

Knicks start up will be Lin, Shumpert, Parson, Bargnani and Asik/Tyson

Then Knicks can get rid of Stoudermire by trading him plus pick for some expiring contract.

Knicks could be worth watching again.

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Trade Asik & Lin for LeBron.

12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

In the west, this would be a definite lottery team - in the east they might make the playoffs, but not much more than that. It would basically be last years Rockets, but instead of Harden with Shumpert and instead of whoever we played at PF Bargnani.

The Knicks problem is, that they have traded so many of their draft picks. If they do that trade, they would have to be sure, that they can get a star like Love at next FA - because they can`t really build through the draft.

13. torocan

torocan Member

Less of a problem if they do an all out rebuild.

If you dump Melo, then you dump Tyson (to a team like OKC), JR Smith, Felton, etc. You could get a decent number of picks for a proper long term rebuild.

If you have Asik at $8.3M in cap space, there's no need to retain Tyson at $14M. And given the need for Centers, I could see them getting a solid haul of young talent and picks just from Tyson.

A bit more wheeling and dealing and they could have a very credible play off team in the East with up side very quickly, as well as have the assets to potentially snag a young borderline all star through trade or even FA.

If Melo goes, it's just the first domino for the Knicks.

14. AFS

AFS Member

This could be the reason why we don't do this deal. It would make OKC stacked.

15. HoustonLiftoff

I am new to Clutchfans but have been reading a few articles lately.

I was wondering if there was a possibility that we may make a play at Josh Smith and take advantage of the fact that the Pistons "big" lineup is failing this year.

I know it eliminates the possibility of a free agent signing this off season but the fact is Josh Smith is an elite wing defender. While his offense is terrible, he could provide defense/athleticism and could potentially be had at a reasonable price given his contract/situation.

He also gives us a trade able contract since we should be over the cap for the foreseeable future.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

1. You're pretty much handing OKC the Western conference
    2. Asik is worth more than Lamb and then you have us taking back the worst starting center in the league and perhaps the worst starter in the league and his corpse of a contract.

No offense but this is a really really bad trade

17. TheTruth1

TheTruth1 Rookie

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really like Olynyk .... he's played well given minutes and has huge potential down the road.

Love Rondo the player , hate him on this roster .... just a poor shooter & makes a low % of FT's , cant add another poor FT shooter to Howard.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

You make a good point. Only 4 teams have a legit shot at Melo in free agency....NYK, LA Lakers, Dallas, and the Spurs. The Lakers, Dallas, and Spurs are the only quality teams with enough cap to sign him. The Lakers would have to cut loose Pau, Dirk would have to take a huge paycut, and the Spurs would have to cut Parker (not going to happen).

So really, Dallas and the Lakers are the only options (other than NYK, of course).

The Lakers have nothing to offer other in a trade than an expiring Pau.

Dallas could be somewhat interesting by offering Ellis and Calderon plus picks. That would give Dallas enough cap room to sign a center. Nowitzki/Pau/Melo would be formidable.

IF the Knicks were to trade him, it would have to be to a team he wants to be on. The Rockets could enter the picture here.

At the end of the day, it comes down to how much Melo wants to win and how much he wants out NY. If he's determined to leave but wants to win, Houston is one of the very few legit options.

I think with s

20. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Loul deng for chandler parsons