1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Rice showed good offense and could be a good wing defender that we need he was a 2nd round pick and not being used by WAS I am just wondering what it would take to get him here.

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Lin and DMo for Luol Deng

Asik for Milsap

Bev/Brooks
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Deng
    Milsap/Jones
    Howard

3. Normalus

Normalus Member

Turkey will be mad if we trade Asik. Sooo......trade him for first rounder+2nd rounder and sign retired Mehmet ''The money man'' Okur for back-up center :grin:

4. Remii

Remii Member

The focus is basketball because Chicago could use Lin _ PERIOD... Definitely on the court and possibly off. And despite how popular the Bulls may be _ that team is not a free agent destination for big time players and they are about to lose Deng.

And of course Lin is the better player but for Tony (who looks to me to be a good young player) and Charlotte's first round pick I would definitely make that trade. Especially if Brooks keeps playing well...

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Works in the trade machine:

Rockets get Deng, Robin Lopez, McCollum

Bulls get Lin and DMo

Blazers get Asik

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

A Case For Carmelo Anthony

In this post, I will make my case to trade for Carmelo Anthony. I know he is not a popular figure and is widely viewed in a negative light, but I think we should look objectively at what he could possibly bring to this team.

1.) Who is he and what does he do?

Carmelo is a power 3, or a hybrid 3/4, whichever you prefer, who has a very unique skill. Carmelo basically plays like a stretch four but also sports an impressive post game and ability to rebound the basketball. He can drive from the perimeter with a nice assortment of quick spin moves or step out and shoot the three ball (although at a mediocre clip). He is one of the best post up players in the NBA, although he does not get to the foul line particularly well, but when he does he is an 80%+ free throw shooter.

He has been criticized as a high volume low efficiency "chucker" but has a career 55% true shooting percentage which is not terrible considering he is always the focus of opposing teams defense. Just last year he had hit an apparent peak with a 56% TS% while hitting the 3 ball at ~38% and a near 25 PER. While he isn't at Harden or Lebron levels of efficiency he makes up for it somewhat by taking care of the basketball, IE he is not particularly turnover prone for a guy with his level of usage.

2.) How could he help us?

Right now we are an excellent team, but we have a couple issues that could come back to bite us in the ass. For starters, Harden and Parsons are playing too many minutes and it is already starting to have adverse effects with Harden's feet and Parsons back. Adding Carmelo and.......DUN DUN DUN......bringing him off the bench could allow longer periods of time that Harden and Parsons can rest. All three guys are in the top ten in minutes played and I think it is reasonable to expect efficiency to go up and injuries to go down if you could get each one to under 35 minutes a game.

If perhaps Harden and Parson's injuries persist and they miss games, having a Melo in the wings allows us to continue to be a potent team in a conference where seeding is everything. We frankly cannot afford to lose bad games and fall into a lower seed if we expect to make it to the finals. Melo can step in as the primary scoring workhorse if by chance Harden goes down for a couple of weeks, while Parsons slides to the 2. The NY and Houston offense are not terribly dissimilar, so it could definitely work.

Another area where Melo could help us is rebounding. For whatever reason, we seem to be terrible at defensive rebounding and this guy is a hawk when it comes to rebounding the ball. This season alone, he already has five games of 12+ rebounds and three games of 15+ rebounds. For the small forward position, that is fantastic, although it is worth noting there are not many other strong rebounders on the team, with Chandler going down.

3.) What does his contract look like?

Melo is making 21.3 million this year and ~23 million next year with an early termination option which he will most likely terminate to sign a new max contract this off season.

4.) What do we offer?

In my opinion, we should offer up Omer Asik, Jeremy Lin, Motiejounas and our 2014 #1 pick for Carmelo Anthony. I may offer another minor piece like Cannan or Smith, but that would be the meat of my offer. New York is just plan garbage right now and it probably won't be long before they start having internal meetings regarding Melo walking for nothing at year end.

Brooks has shown he is an ample replacement for Lin, and while losing Asik hurts, he plays such limited minutes, I think we can find someone to pick up the minutes off the waiver. Dmo is a nice prospect but he isn't contributing right now and will be gone anyway (along with the pick) if we keep on our 2015 plan.

Best case, we make this trade and he doesn't opt out of his contract, and we get a year and a half of still prime Melo. I would not offer him another max contract afterwards, as he would be well into his 30s and I want to keep my options open for 2015, but I think this offers us a better chance at a title in the next two years without sacrificing very much.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Do you really think Melo would agree to come off the bench?

Not a chance.

8. RRockets

RRockets Member

Melo off the bench? He is day dreaming.

9. CertifiedTroll

I would like to trade for melo if it only takes lin,asik, and dmo. But they no take parsons and they would probably want him.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Oh heck yea... I hate giving Asik to Portland _ but I like that trade...

11. nykb17

nykb17 Member

That would not be enough for NY. Melo is a top 15 talent. One can argue that he is a top 10 talent. Making this move would net us with 3 top 10 talent in Harden, Dwight and Melo. This would push us over the top. Dwight has shown that he is willing to be a 2nd or 3rd option in the offense. One thing Melo does well is play with top tier talent as evidence in play in the Olympics.

I say we will need to send them Asik, Lin, DMo, Chandler Parsons, Greg Smith and a 1st rounder.

It sounds like a lot, but I think this is what will take to pry Melo from the Knicks.

Beverley, Harden, Melo, TJones, Dwight....Man...that is a pretty tough lineup to cover.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I wouldn't move Parsons for Anthony.

He is essentially an expiring contract.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Look... If Melo is being made available.... of course Morey is going to make an offer... why wouldn't he???

That being said, I think there are other teams that have more to offer the Knicks in a trade.

The most the Rockets can offer is Lin/Asik/Jones & 3 future first rounders. That's about as good an offer as they are going to give (unless they make Parsons available which I doubt). And at that point your asking the Knicks to also make Tyson Chandler available or looking for a 3rd team for Asik... which might be a sticking point.

-The Celtics are the team I really see as a threat to trade for Melo. They have the ultimate trump card in all of this which is the Brooklyn Nets draft picks which are incredible picks. They also have a decent expiring package in Humphries/Bradley & Jeff Green who comes off the books in 2015... and dont forget Rondo... although I would think that the Celtics would envision Melo/Rondo as their core they would like to ultimately pair.

-The Bulls also have the expiring's of Deng/Hinrich + Mirotic & Butler + some great draft picks(Bobcats pick). This package also allows them good players to help win now since they dont own their own pick anyways this year.

-Detroit will have Greg Monroe or Josh Smith & Jennings with the Villanueva expiring to offer come Dec 15th. No real good draft picks here, but they have the players & the rebuild on the fly talent here. Dont count out Detroit here.

-The Clippers could very well offer Blake Griffin & filler (Dudley works) for Melo. Clippers are a scary team to watch out for because of the confidence they would have in him resigning with them this Summer.

-The Grizzlies could offer up Z-Bo for Melo. Might be the only the deal the Rockets could trump giving Z-Bo's age & lack of picks the Grizz have.

So out of all those deals, I would think the Rockets deal of Asik & Lin on balloon payments, Jones, and 3 late first rounders wouldn't really live up to what they could get with other teams like getting Blake Griffin, Greg Monroe, or the Brooklyn picks.

Sorry, but Rockets fans should probably root for Melo to stay in NY. If he hits the trade market, there is a chance he comes to a team in the West and skews the powers in our conference to make life more difficult.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Jones is exposed now. Any deal with a top flight star player going to Houston will now involve Jones as the main centerpiece. He's probably the ticket to even get the Rockets in the door in the first place.

15. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

I will say this again if Melo goes on the trading block watch out for the LA Clippers.

They could offer Griffin/Jordan for Melo/Chandler, or just a straight swap for Melo for Griffin.

16. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

But you better believe Morey will make a offer if Melo goes on the block. Melo/Dwight would be the best pf/c combo in the NBA. We would be a 3man team like Miami with Harden/Dwight/Melo, it's easy to put pieces around that core especially with Morey as GM.

Oh yeah and there is no way NY accepts a deal without Chandler Parsons being in the deal.

Parsons/Asik/Lin/1rd is probably what it will take for NY to even consider it.

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Doesn't matter, because we will end up with Dirk and Deng after this season. Lawls.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The last thing we need is this team killer.

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i concur...you would have to include parsons to get this done. they are not that stupid. And i would do this in a second. with melo, you would instantly have the 3rd cornerstone for a championship. You can fill in defenders/ shooters like the heat for cheap after this. he can play the point-forward from the wing or the post.

20. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

team killer he may be, but still one of the best offensive weapons in the game.