1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. RoxOn RoxOff

RoxOn RoxOff Member

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Afflalo is one of the guy's I'd target if I was replacing Lin or looking to upgrade a wing defender .... but I don't know if that deal gets it done. I'd prefer to do a three team trade with Philly & Orlando which landed both Afflalo & Hawes.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not if we have to give up Lin.

The point of adding a wing defender isn't to replace Lin. The point of adding a wing defender is to put Parsons beside Lin on the bench (where he'll still get 25-30 mpg) and most importantly UPGRADE THE DEFENSE OF THE STARTING LINEUP.

I believe we can do that without giving away our 6th man in a lopsided trade.

4. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Why do people not like Rondo?

Rondo/Harden would be the best backcourt in the NBA hands down.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Poor shooter , doesnt really fit what this team does and takes the ball out of Hardens hands (not that this would be all bad).

He's also a poor FT shooter , which isn't a trait I'd want , especially next to Howard.

I'd rather have Lowry or Dragic as their games both fit what this team does - Run and shoot a solid % from 3.

6. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

How do you know he want fit?

Rondo is probably the most unselfish PG in the NBA, he can fit on any team.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

He won't fit because he can't shoot and the offense must run through him. In our system the point guard must be able to play off the ball and must be able to knock down the three ball. Rondo does neither of those things.

He would be good to have on defense but he would be horrible for us on offense.

8. dexkk

dexkk Member

I don't see the Boston trade happening without a third team. Boston wants picks, not making the 8th seed with Lin and Asik.

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

In the system where Mchale try to make Harden play ISO all day long?

A Fisher or even a Harper would be the best PG if Rox are to continue playing this way. However looking back from Jordan, to Kobe, to Wade. They should be in position to score to be most effective.

With that being said. The ball have to be taken out of Harden hands to optimize Harden's talent.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Even if you like Rondo you have to admit 90% of his value is on defense... so here's another way to think about things...

Over the next 5 years, who do we most likely have to get past to win a championship? LeBron and KD.

Who does Rondo stop on defense? Not LeBron or KD.

The only guy Rondo stops that we're really concerned about right now is CP3... and frankly... just not that worried about a guy who's never made it to the WCF. We might not even play the Clippers in the playoffs over the next few years if somebody else knocks them out, which I think is likely going by CP3's past history

11. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Nobody is going to stop Lebron/KD, so what is your point?

12. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

I would trade Lin/Asik to Toronto for Lowry/Amir/Ross.

Ross has a lot of potential.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Westbrook, Steph Curry? Mike Conley, Lawson, Monta Ellis, Lillard...

All the challenging matchups in the Western Conference are going to include a very good to great point guard (or more obscurely "a little guy" in Monta's case).

That said, it seems moot. Rondo's defense has been lagging the last few years, on top of it he's injured now and might be slower from now on. I can't think of a realistic Houston-Rondo trade anyway. Danny Ainge gets the concept of "foundational players" just as much as Morey, and Rondo is one (if he gets healthy). I don't think this is not someone he'll give up for Asik or Parsons or some mediocre picks. Maybe if Morey just overwhelms the Celtics with assets and offers Asik, Parsons, Jones, Lin, a bunch of picks... But that's not something a contender should do for an injured player, imo...

14. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

too many nots, that one shouldn't be there.

15. OremLK

OremLK Member

Tony Parker is obviously a great player, but the Spurs probably aren't going to stand in our way for championship contention after this season. Timmy is very close to retirement and they're going to be forced to rebuild soon.

Westbrook just frankly isn't half as important as KD to the Thunder. Nice to have a stopper for him, but not the top priority IMO.

Curry? Even if he stays healthy I don't see the Warriors as legit title contenders. If we can't beat them without Rondo then we're not contenders anyway.

Conley, Lawson, Ellis? HA! Those teams are not and will not be contenders and none of those players are that good honestly.

Lillard? Maybe, I think he's the kind of guy who has already peaked, though, and it's not like he's a star level point guard.

16. D12 fan

D12 fan Rookie

Rudy Gay/1rd lottery pick for Asik/Lin?

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That's counting chickens before they hatch, imo. I don't think more defense at pg is a priority either, but the West is far from just Durant, and I think multiple West teams have a strong chance to beat the Rockets right now or in the next few years. An elite defender at point guard would go a long way. Just not a priority, that I agree with.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't think the Raptors would give a lottery pick for that. Why would they? Tim Leiweke gave Ujiri a clear goal -- do whatever you want, take your time, but build a contender; and that deal just helps them be more mediocre.

(And if there's no pick, it would be a bad deal for the Rockets.)

19. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

In the East, Lin and Asik would make any team a top 4 seed. Have you seen the standings of the East lately?

Toronto is currently 4th at 6-8. Imagine if they had Asik and Lin....

20. basketballholic

90% of Rondo's value is not defense. Rondo creates shots, tons of shots. Go back and look at Celtic video from the last 4 years. Now the difference here would be instead of Pierce/Garnett/Bass/Bradley taking long 2's, he'd have Harden/Parsons/Beverley/Garcia taking the 3-ball and the best finisher in the league throwing down his lobs and cleaning up the shots.

Oh...defense? Perimeter defense?? Look..Beverley and Rondo in the backcourt with Harden playing the weak 3 is about as good as it gets. Miami?? I'll take Rondo/Bev on Wade/PG all day with Harden/Parsons/Garcia tangling with Lebron, and Parsons/Jones on Bosh with Howard in the middle. Those are good matchups.

You guys saying Rondo wouldn't fit because he can't shoot don't know what you're talking about. He's a penetrating playmaker that can get to the rim at will. He solves our turnover issues. He gets to the rim at will, he can waltz in and out of the paint a dozen times without the defense getting close to his dribble. You let him run the first unit and get Dwight off early. Then you give him a break and let Harden totally decimate the opposing team's second unit. Or vice versa. Doesn't matter. You've got a playmaker on the floor all 48 minutes who is getting guys great looks.

I've been telling you guys for months now that an Asik/Lin/picks trade for Rondo/KHump could happen. I still think there is a possibility that it does. No quicker rebuild for Boston than Asik/Lin.