1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If your giving up Lin, Asik, & D-Mo, you better be getting back a star calliber player at the very least. I like Ilyasova as well, but it shouldn't take but Asik to get back Ilyasova & maybe even another asset in return. As a top 5 defensive center in the league, Asik has more value than Ilyasova alone.

2. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I forgot to add Brandon Knight to Houston, if that helps.

3. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I see where you're coming from. I just think Ilyasova is a perfect compliment to Dwight and is extremely underrated. I think Ilyasova could be very valuable to this team. Also, dumping the Lin contract means you have more money to resign Parsons.

4. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Minnesota IN: Asik, DMo, Greg Smith
    + 1.5m cash (to help cover Asik's price increase in 2014)
    + 2014 1st + 2016 1st + 2018 1st.
    Could throw in some 2nd round picks or rights to some of our overseas players like Papanikolaou and Todorovic.

Houston IN: Kevin Love

You could do the exact same trade with LaMarcus Aldridge and Portland, which will probably be more likely at the trade deadline. By that time we should have a solid idea of what to expect from Dwight, and will be able to gauge the impact of moving Asik.

We know our picks won't be that valuable in the future, so why not mortgage the future to get a 3rd star on the team and bolster a need at PF? No need to ship off Lin in the process or bring in a 3rd team, we have the assets to complete this trade on our own.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I like how the majority of the naysayers are keeping it reined in, as per the OP's (Clutch's) request.

I have a feeling as the thread continues and the original post fades from memory the "are you crazy or just high?" comments will resurface. :)

For now it's nice to see so many "well, you know, I have to respectfully disagree, as we are on different pages with that...."

I keep wanting to post something that involves a 3-way trade netting us LMA and yielding Lin and Asik and a not-Parsons asset (he isn't going anywhere), but for the life of me I can't assume another team wants to pay either Lin or Asik $15,000,000 in 2014-15. So I just kinda let it sit.

6. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Exactly. At the end if the day, there is a reason none of us are GM's, haha. I don't get offended, because its just all for fun and everyone has their own opionion on player value.

7. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

The difference in cost for Asik or Lin's contracts is only 3.25 million. Their contracts are 5, 5, 15 in actual payments, but the cap hits are averaged out. Any team acquiring them will pay 5 and 15m over the next two seasons, with a total caphit of 16,749,292. So while the 3.25m paid to them is a bit much, we can bring that cost down to 1.75m by sending them cash in the deal. 1.75m isn't that big of a deal if you are getting enough in return, even for a small market team. Three 1st round picks could certainly change a GM's mind. I think my scenario for Love is more than fair for a team that's likely going to have to deal him anyways.

8. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I wonder if there's a possibility that denver would move Gallinari, if the price is right?

9. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Rockets In: Tristan Thompson, CJ Miles
    Rockets Out: Omer Asik

New Orleans In: Omer Asik
    New Orleans Out: Ryan Anderson

Cleveland In: Ryan Anderson
    Cleveland Out: Tristan Thompson, CJ Miles

Why Houston does it: We get a big upgrade at PF who's still only 22. He averages 12 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 49% FG, and showed improvement across the board in his second season. Still has a lot room to grow into an even better player. Then we get a good backup SG in CJ Miles to give a little scoring off the bench since we lack a real 6th man. (I'd compare him to Delfino. Very similar stats. Bit of a chucker, but can really spark the offense when we're struggling)

Why New Orleans does it: They finally get their defensive anchor center to pair with Anthony Davis and allow him to play more PF where he belongs, which vastly improves the team. They also get the most value they will ever get for him, while filling a need. This is a great deal for them in my opinion.

Why Cleveland does it: They get a great shooter to add to the mix and give Bynum (and maybe Varejao) an outlet than can drain them from deep. With the penetration of Jarrett Jack and Kyrie, he would be an incredible asset to have to kick out to. This could also clear the way for Anthony Bennett to come in and get some more time as he and Ryan Anderson have very different styles and could be on the court together with Bynum at C. Giving up Miles isn't a big deal for them now with the signing of Jack. They're pretty set at the guard position and have their main guy off the bench now.

Is this fair? Would we need to give Cleveland a little more for them to bite?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m3lk8ux

10. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

This same idea could apply with the Celtics. Just having Asik to Boston and Green to Cleveland. Maybe more attractive to Cleveland as well because Green has a higher upside and can play SF, which is their weakest spot.

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

^I like those ideas. Not sure if any of those other teams do it but in terms of fairness and basketball sense, I like them.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't see why Rockets would do that trade. Anderson is more valuable than Miles, TT to them. Asik, Anderson is close. I still prefer Asik, but I would want Rockets to run this year meaning Howard would need about 18 minutes of rest a game.

13. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

Asik/Tjone/Lin to Boston for J.Green/Clee/Jared Sullinger/Jordan Crawford

Howard/Smith/Camby
    Green/Sullinger
    Parsons/Garcia/Casspi
    Harden/Clee
    Beverly/Crawford/Brooks

14. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Eh, Anderson doesn't play any defense. Thompson is a good defender, great rebounder, and has a decent skill set down low. He's also still improving at a very high rate. I'd rather have him, even if he's arguably not as good of a player right now. (I think he will be this year. Next year for sure.)

It's not going to be as easy as it was in Orlando (Howard + shooters) to win. This year is infinitely deeper, especially in the West. In my opinion, adding another shooter isn't what we need. Another guy who can defend, rebound, plays with a lot of energy, and score a bit like Thompson could be perfect.

15. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

16. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I don't really rate Klay so I'd definitely say no if I were Portland. For Golden State, it just seems like blowing up the team for no real improvement. Deng doesn't really fit since they already have Iguodala and Barnes at SF. Chicago really will see that as giving up two key players for spare parts (two developing PFs, backup C, 3rd string C). I just see them gunning for a championship in the next year or two before they age too much and start losing guys. I like it for us though! Only giving up Asik, D-mo, and Jones for Lamarcus Aldridge and two potentially good role players.

17. newAge_Rockets

18. mzsajjad

mzsajjad Member

when considering trades, we should also consider the fact that we don't necessarily want to make rivals in our conference a significantly better team.
    i.e.

if asik goes to OKC or NO or GS ... look at what their lineups will become ... don't you think that will come to haunt us ....

westbrook, sefolosha, durant, ibaka, asik (lol yeah we should do this if we want to hand them the WCF and likely Finals win)

Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Davis, Asik (thats downright scary for years to come)

Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Lee, Asik (Yeah that sounds like a lot of fun)

also I don't understand why MIN would trade LOVE or MIA trade Bosh for that matter. All of those guys are in good situations.

Love has a pretty promising team that should make the playoffs. Why Minni would trade him without getting a superstar is return doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever.

MIA just won 2 in a row and for them to trade Bosh is just a silly notion unless they get a serious piece in return. Asik and Lin are good players but if you think Pat Riley is going to ship bosh out for those 2 plus crap ... your sadly mistaken.

19. mzsajjad

mzsajjad Member

If you ship out Asik and good pieces to the west ... these are the only teams we should consider making deals with ... due to many factors,

Suns, Sacremento, Portland, Denver, Memphis, Spurs and Mavs ....

These teams have issues that Asik or anyone else we give up wont solve in the short term or come to hurt in the long run ...

In the East send them where you want regardless because no team in the east will beat the heat just because they add our pieces. The teams capable of beating the heat don't need our players to do so

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

That's a fair point.