1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Yes he will be coming off the bench. Just simply stating that you can go small ball with a player like Barnes on the roster. Honestly, i would do that trade in a heartbeat. The kid is a stud. Don't think the Warriors would do it. Sucks for them because their starting center is never healthy.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Reading through the 2008 trade thread is pretty nostalgic.

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Don't they have a trade exception? Anyway, nevermind i asked. Wanted to discuss about their fit to the teams they are being traded to, and not the technical stuff.

4. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

They do. Somebody corrected me. For us, I think it's a pretty good fit. In my eyes, Barnes is overrated because of a pretty solid playoffs, but he still definitely has all-star potential. He gives us the ability to run small ball, and a ton of offensive spark off the bench.

On the fit for GS, it's not bad, but it kind of destroys Golden States offense off the bench. They already have a big hole since Jack and Landry left, and without Barnes, they lose almost all of it. Asik would be great for them, but more of a luxury than a necessity in their eyes. The only way this trade happens is later in the season when Bogut goes down, and Golden State is desperate for a center. Then we come forward after Asik has been tearing it up defensively for us and offer it. They are a prime candidate for that scenario. (Borderline contender with an injury prone center). Also, Ezeli is coming off knee surgery so they might only have O'Neal in their center rotation or David Lee as a 6'9" center.

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Agreed. As i have said, with the team we have now, we possess the luxury to wait it out and be patient. The most difficult task was to acquire stars and we've already done that by getting Harden and Howard. Teams will eventually sell players and or blow it up and decide to deal near the next trade deadline.

6. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

Blazers in Barnes or Thompson + bogut + jones or jones draft picks from Hou

Rockets in LMA

Warriors in asik and Batum or Matthews

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

surley if this trade happens, blazers would dump someone like victor claver on us, along with warriors having to forgoe future picks (which they dont have) so maybe someone like Nemanja Nedovic also goes to the blazers along with anouther salary dump by the blazers like Joel Freeland..

maybe im delusional but i rate LMA, Batum/Matthews clearly the best assets in this deal, and i think this could only happen if blazers collapse in the first 40 games of the season

8. rogower

rogower Member

My understanding is that a team cannot combine a player with a trade exception, which means that Harrison Barnes cannot be combined with a portion of its trade exception in a deal for Omer Asik. I coild be wrong but I don't think so.

The most logical Asik trade is C.J. McCullom and Robin Lopez for Asik and filler, presumably either Aaron Brooks, Reggie Williams, or Omri Casspi.

Does Houston really want to pay Asik $15 mil in 2014-15 to be a backup C? No, which is why he'll probably get traded before the February trade deadline.

9. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Hahaha yeah, I can't believe some of the trades suggested. So glad we didn't get guys like Caldreon or VC. How quickly the game can change in just 4-5 years.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I believe the trade exception for Golden State is big enough to accept Asik's contract. Asik's Contract is big enough to accept Barnes's contract.

From GS perspective
    TE for Asik. Trade rules work as incoming does not exceed TE +100,000
    Barnes for 0 incoming. Trade Rules work as Incoming Salary<Outgoing Salary

From Hou perspective
    Asik for Barnes. Trade Rules work as Incoming<Outgoing
    0 outgoing for TE. Trade rules work. Trade Rules work as Incoming=Outgoing

Trades can be configured different ways to make trade rules work for each team. http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q80

This is not meant to be an endorsement of the trade just looking at the mechanics needed.

11. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I think Asik to OKC is a possibility. They do have (2) 2014 1st round picks. Would not want the Perkins contract though.

12. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Why would we help the teams above us. Would the Thunder give us Ibaka for couple picks???

13. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

I'm not saying we should help them. I wouldnt want to help them. But if the right offer comes along, why not?

14. Normalus

Normalus Member

I rather trade Asik to Philly for first rounder. But it never happens. :grin:

15. rogower

rogower Member

You're right.

A 21-year-old Harrison Barnes making $2.9 mil in 2013-14, $3.0 mil in 2014-15, $3.9 mil in 2015-16, and who then becomes a restricted free agent during summer 2016 is worth more than a 27-year-old Omer Asik making $4.9 mil in 2013-14 ($2.0 mil more than Barnes), $14.9 mil in 2014-15 (a whopping $11.9 mil more than Barnes, who is not under contract at all in 2015-16 (unlike Barnes), and who is an UNrestricted free agent. Barnes is the more valuable asset.

Of course, teams make lopsided/short-sighted trades all the time, especially if they're despeate, and if/when Andrew Bogut goes down once again, the Warriors may get desperate.

16. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I think Kyle Lowry would be an awesome fit at PG next to Harden for a few reasons. He can shoot the 3 (37% in the last three seasons), he is a really solid defender, great rebounding guard, not all that ball-dominant, and he hustles his ass off. Keep in mind that Lowry will be a free agent next summer. Toronto fans seems to think that they won't be able to re-sign him from reading their version of Clutch Fans. This means they might be open to a deal where they lock up a PG at a similar level that is younger and has an extra year on his contract. A couple trade ideas to try and land Kyle Lowry back in Houston:

TRADE 1:
    Toronto In: Jeremy Lin, (maybe a pick)
    Houston In: Kyle Lowry

Why? Basically what I said above about Lowry hitting free agency. Lin is possibly a better offensive player, but just not as good of a fit in Houston as Lowry would be.

TRADE 2:
    Toronto In: Jeremy Lin, Terrence Jones, 2015 1st Round Pick (or a 2nd Round Pick but since we'll be really good it lowers the value of a 1st Rounder)
    Houston In: Kyle Lowry, Amir Johnson

Why? Same Lowry stuff. Toronto also gets younger with T-Jones, clear some cap space to allow financial flexibility, and pick up a 1st round pick.

This works despite salary because: (via http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker)
    Trade 3:
    Toronto In: Steve Nash, 2014 2nd Round Pick
    Houston In: Kyle Lowry
    LA Lakers In: Jeremy Lin

Why? LA gets a 15 year younger PG with similar stats on a cheaper contract. Toronto gets the pride of Canada to finish his career there, sells lots of tickets, gets average PG production, and gets a pick. Houston gets Lowry.

I'm sure there are other possibilities so you're welcome to critique or throw some out. Also, what do you think about Lowry's fit with us?

PS: (His beef with McHale is not a big deal imo. It was two years ago, and winning seems to cure all ills. The excitement around the team and new roster should change his attitude.)

1 person likes this.
  17. rogower

rogower Member

I agree that both Steve Nash and Kyle Lowry are two PGs who are likely going to be made available before the February trade deadline. If Nash is not looking like a guy who needs to maybe hang 'em up, then he would be an ideal fit for Houston. I'd actually like to see Houston ship Jeremy Lin to Milwaukee for a first round pick, roll with Patrick Beverly and Aaron Brooks for the first half of the season, and wait for a better PG (Nash, or Lowry, maybe somebody unexpected, like Ty Lawson) to become available. I think a Houston's own very late first round pick (26-30 range) and filler (Brooks?) for Nash gets it done, although you'd need to first unload Lin.

I mean, my god, how badly does Nash want to win a championship? And the man can still shoot lights out.

18. mzsajjad

mzsajjad Member

Dude Asik is a better Center than Sanders. Its mainly due to size and defense. Larry Sanders is a great PF prospect on a really bad team. They need a good reliable Center. I was simply pointing out that they have 8 bigs on their team and i dont think they want to start Illyasova and Sanders together. Thats why they are bringing in so many big guys. They also want to give Henson a lot of minutes so you can get one of the other PF's from them.

Your rant about Jennings is stupid all together. He is a RESTRICTED FA. he is not going overseas. He will still make his salary this year with the BUCKS. I was referring to a sign and trade deal and I wasn't thinking of paying him more than Lin makes, which in my opinion is a great deal for his level of talent.

Here is the point im making for Jennings ... http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3997/brandon-jennings

look at the Assists category and notice that the guy can put up some serious assist numbers when "he wants to" ... He has played on a **** team his whole career. I wouldn't want to pass to Monta Ellis either lol. I am assuming he would fit nicely on this team and He is definitely a good ball handler and has potential to be a great PG on this team. You guys can hate all you want but regardless of his track record I think he is better than Lin on any non bias PG rankings chart.

The offer sheet to Teague was simply because they didn't want to pay Jennings what it would cost to keep him on that crappy team.

19. mzsajjad

mzsajjad Member

Its just my opinion... I don't ever see Sanders becoming a legit 5 in this league. He should play the 4 position. His build is not meant to bang against 5's down low. He is a great rebounder and weak side rim protector that can run the floor and hopefully develop a decent jump shot. He can't post up and can guard against bigs that post up deep and are strong.

20. mzsajjad

mzsajjad Member

I don't agree with that video. The point guard position needs to be also judged on the role you are asked to play. I understand and agree to the fact that his shot selection is HORRIBLE but I don't think that would be an issue on this team. He has no one legit to pass the ball to. If you pull up footage of when Bogut was Healthy (hard to find) . You should see that Jennings fed him very well and was quite good at the Pick and Roll on that team. Most of his shots are all taken from horrible spots on the floor right now. I agree but it has a lot to do with floor spacing and lack of a star on the team. He feels he is the star on that team and well its hard to argue against him. When playing with Howard and Harden, Jennings can apply pressure and take risks at the point position on defense and he can get the ball to where it needs to go with a good strong handle. He can also take and make open 3's.

Monta Ellis is a iverson wanna be that shoots everytime he touches the ball. Jennings is a better player than him and is still a FA because he overvalued what he is worth in the market. If he was willing to take 7-8 mil ... he would have been signed long time ago.