1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. rogower

rogower Member

Let's see... Larry Sanders is three years younger than Omer Asik, and he's cheaper. Obviously Sanders has more value, and that Milwaukee has zero interest in trading him for Asik.

Also, nearly every single team in the league is satisfied with its starting PG, and a grand total of zero teams is interested in acquiring Brandon Jennings and paying him anything close to his asking price (probably four years, $36 mil), as evidenced by the fact that it's nearly August and he remains a free agent. Clearly Milwaukee does not view him as being worth that kind of money, as evidenced by the Jeff Teague offer sheet.

I think Jennings has to be thinking about playing overseas for a year at this point. He may also be forced to resort to the sort of deal (one year, $4 mil) that O.J. Mayo had to settle for in last year's market.

The point is that the Rockets have zero interest in this guy.

I agree that Milwaukee would be interested in acquiring Jeremy Lin. I think More has to think about trading Lin to the Bucks if he can extract a first round pick. Milwaukee's 2014 first round pick will be no lower than #16 overall, and that's a good return for Lin. [See my previous post for my thoughts on possible Lin replacements.]

2. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

i still think we should go for Josh Smith.

Boston out: Jeff Green
    Boston In: Asik, 1st round pick from Detroit, Dmo

Detroit out: Josh Smith, 1st round pick
    Detroit in: Jeremy Lin, Jeff Green

Houston out: Asik, Lin, Dmo
    Houston in: Josh Smith

Why Boston does it: they get a servicable center on a good contract and valuable assets for the future.
    Why Detroit does it: they sort out the front court problems, add three point shooting and finally get a good point guard who will put people in their seats.
    Why Houston does it: it will make them a top 3 team in the NBA.

this will be Houston's lineup
    Aaron Brooks, James Harden, Chandler Parsons, Josh Smith, Dwight Howard
    Patrick Beverly/Canaan, Reggie Williams, Fransico Garcia, Terrence Jones, Greg Smith/Camby

seriously our lineup would be full of shooters and defenders down low. also Lin fans should be happy with this trade, Lin can do whatever he wants in detroit.

3. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

also for the trade above. when it is time for parson's big payday in two years we can trade Josh Smith for a pick or something making the cap space. and by that time Jones will be ready for the starting job.

4. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

i don't like this trade for the reason that I don't think small ball is a good idea. i know the league is taking this route but it won't last long for us

5. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Is having the best big man in the league with a couple of 6'9 forwards really considered as small ball though? ;)

6. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

yeah, but i would prefere a more traditional power forward down low. cause barnes/parsons would get beat up by the Wests and Randolphs of the league

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Trade 1:
    Houston Trades:
    Howard & Parsons

Miami Trades:
    LeBron

Trade 2:
    Rockets trade 8th seed and first round exit
    Miami trades 1st seed and championship

Who's with me???

8. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Hah no why would anyone trade Lebron and he is happy... so far.

9. verysimplejason

10. Zalgiris

Zalgiris Member

Heat doesn't need lin (no one does), chalmers fits them better because of 3 shooting

And heat must consider breaking the big 3, because Bosh is a non factor while playing C. He's not big enough.

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Works on both ends. In that scenario, Randolph would have to guard the perimeter/three point line and will easily get beat of the dribble against the likes of Parsons or Barnes. Plus, it would also keep him off the paint by having to guard the 3 point line which would lessen his team's rebounding advantage/strength as well.

12. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Has he reduced his salary demands? A few weeks ago, the talk was that he was asking for 12 mil per, Milwaukee was offered 10 mil + per, and he didn't budge. Which would be stupid on his end, but those were the reports.

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I like that trade. But I would rather have Barnes coming off the bench. And Barnes would be Parsons future replacement. But I don't see the Warriors doing that. They would want more.

14. rogower

rogower Member

I guess I am assuming that he and his agent have reevaluated the market for his services at a $12 mil/year annual salary and that they now realize this market does not exist. But no, I haven't read anything that says that.

I have read reports that Joe Dumars is interested in swapping Brandon Knight and an expiring contract (either Charlie Villanueva or Rodney Stuckey) for a signed and traded Brandon Jennings, and this is logical. I doubt Dumars is willing to give Jennings his $12 mil annual salary, either. Sooner or later, possibly this week, Jennings is going to cave.

If this Detroit-Milwaukee swap happens, and Milwaukee then turns around and offers Knight and an expiring contract to Houston, what then? I say Morey does that deal, although he may try to extract a bit more from Milwaukee. Knight is a good three point shooter and he's still very young, 21, I think. Obviously he's cheaper than Lin.

Guys, I just cannot imagine that Morey wants to pay Jeremy Lin $15 mil next season. That is a ton of money for Jeremy Lin! I don't think he is going to want to pay a backup C (Omer Asik) $15 mil next year but I don't think we'll see an Osik trade until this winter. There will be several teams wanting to trade for Asik.

My revised projected trades and subsequent roster:

Donatas Motiejunas for a non-lottery (15-30 range) first round pick

Greg Smith for a second rounder projected in the 31-40 overall range

[I am projecting Marcus Camby to be signed soon.]

Brandon Knight and Luke Ridnour (expiring contract) to Houston; Brandon Jennings signed-and-traded to Detroit; Jeremy Lin and Rodney Stuckey to Milwaukee.

The Rockets roll with a PG platoon of Knight and Patrick Beverly. Each dude would get 24 minutes/game. I think Beverly starts but it doesn't really matter.

Starting lineup

PG Patrick Beverly
    SG James Harden
    SF Chandler Parsons
    PF Terrence Jones
    C Dwight Howard

Remaining rotation

Brandon Knight
    Omer Asik
    Francisco Garcia
    Reggie Williams

End of the bench

Marcus Camby
    Aaron Brooks
    Omri Casspi

Developmental League

Isaiah Canaan
    B.J. Young
    Robert Covington

Luke Ridnour would either get dumped on a team with cap space for "draft considerations" (i.e., nothing) or simply waived.

An obvious trade partner in January-ish for Omer Asik is Portland, who can trade C.J. McCollom (he's going to be good) and Robin Lopez (good backup C, and is owed $0 after the 2013-14 season if/when the team option is not picked up).

15. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

It doesn't make sense for either because the salaries don't match and Golden State doesn't have any cap room to take on Asik's salary.

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

They have an exception from the Iguodala sign and trade.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

As for the Asik-Barnes trade itself, I don't know. It's definitely an interesting idea. At the very least, I'd consider it from GSW perspective, unless my doctors swear to me that Bogut will be healthy.

I think short term, this deal helps them, especially in a playoffs match vs. the Rockets. :p

But I'd also look at other options. For example, would I really have to give up Barnes to get Gortat?

By the way, do you think they want to pay tax? Because they would be over tax after this deal. So that's a question mark.

18. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I like except pelicans get Monroe and jerebko for Ryan Anderson......

19. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Forgot about that. Thanks for the heads up!