1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2012-13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think after this Summer we are really going to see a major dropoff in big trades that include established stars.

Ive seen a major arms race for both star players, and the top teams to make major moves before the new CBA really takes effect after this next season. Draft picks, and major cap flexibility are going to be the only two ways you can really make moves even on a small scale. The problem is, all the major moves have already been made, and by the time the major marquee players' deals are up, most of them will be past their prime.

However, there are still going to be alot of small deals. Especially involving draft picks getting moved around, and role players moving to teams trying to compete. Other than that, I dont see major movement of big name players again until the summer of 2014. The only deal I see in 2013 is the James Harden situation which could be very undramatic if OKC ends up extending him in the coming months.

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

it says that LaMarcus Aldridge is a good fit for houston do you think we should go after him or we don't need another foward

3. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

What could we offer for LMA? I say yes. He is young and one of the best PFs in the nba.

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

By then the NBA should have it's next batch of budding superstars though, right?

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

if you can steal a couple stars from OKC, then it's a reasonable direction. Harden+Ibaka might be enough. Maybe not.

6. daytripper

daytripper Member

I think this is going to be a 'tank' season. Don't see any major deals. Even dealing Martin could prove problematic considering his salary. Ideally like to see a franchise player drafted and then Morey can blow some of the other assets to acquire a 2nd star if he wants to speed up the process. Wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Aldridge on the trade block this season but adding him at this point would only guarantee the Rockets would compete for the 8th seed with little possibility for a top 5 pick.

7. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9acoyf2

Three way trade with Port/Hou/Chi

1. Portland may want to cash out on Alridge pretty soon as they aren't in the hunt for the plays offs. He is 27 and entering his prime, and probably would not want to go thru a rebuild. Portland cashing out early allows them to maximize the value. Kind of like what Utah did with NJ.

2. Houston gets a great guy to build around and will definitely make the plays office with the cast around him. Some can argue that he is near super star, He can operate in the low post/can shoot the mid range and can be effective in the Pick and Roll with Lin.

3. Chicago wants to unload Rips contract because he was a non factor...

Portland out. Matthews & Alridge
    In - KM, Patterson, Lamb,TJones, Jimmy Bulter, S.Williams

Houston Out - KM/Patterson/Lamb/TJones/S.Williams
    In - Alridge/Rip

Chicago out - Rip/J.Butler
    In - W.Matthews

8. Garner

Garner Member

If Portland is ditching Aldridge because they are rebuilding, why would a rebuilding Houston want him?

9. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

bc houston isnt in full rebuild mode, they are still hoping to accquire a star. PLus the amount of young players we have we can instantly become a play off team with Alridge in the fold... I am not convinced houston is 100% rebuild mode. They are just acquring assets to put them into a good spot to make a trade.

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

why would Portland be rebuilding or wouldn't be "in the hunt of playoffs"?
    they've fired Rich Cho because (reportedly) he pushed them to rebuild as opposed to retool.

they have Aldridge + an above average starting SG (Matthews) + an above average starting SF (Batum) + a couple young promising bigs + a rookie point guard who looks more than ready.
    And they can have max salary cap space next summer.

it would be silly for them to trade Aldridge for anything except a superstar. they have a chance to be contending in a year.

11. rocketseagles07

Lmao @ us not wanting one of the best pf's in the league. I know our team is pf heavy but aldridge is a legit star. Doesn't matter anyways they wouldn't take that trade for aldridge, why be average with ALL those players when you can be average with a star...

12. rocketseagles07

sometimes I think you're one of the only people on this board that isn't bias and actually looks at things from a realistic point of view. Just though I'd get that out lol.....

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

thanx. although to be fair, i'm a Pacers fan, so it's easier for me to be unbiased, hehe...

14. rocketseagles07

lmao, it's all starting to make sense..... while we're talking about them are y'all really shopping granger or not???

15. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

cause he's not 6'9 :grin:

seriously, this would be a good acquisition, a legit 6'11-7'1 PF/C combo that could speed up the growing process of our young franchise

BTw, is Portland tanking as well? they did have a firesale last trade deadline

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i doubt it. He's probably available like most players are, but he wouldn't be cheap.
    For now, Paul George is much more of a 2 than a 3 right now, especially defensively, despite his size. So him and Granger make sense together. Defensively, they compliment each other very well.
    Besides, the team / ownership is fairly loyal and conservative when it comes to core players.
    In a few years, if Paul George gets stronger and learns to defend strong 3s, Granger might become more expendable.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There are a ton of players who are very good to all-star calliber, but superstars.... guys like Lebron, Howard, or even Melo only come around once in a blue moon.

Its hard to imagine guys like Stephen Curry, James Harden, and DeMarcus Cousins really in the same class, even though they both will garnish a ton of attention and $ in free agency.

I think this 2012 draft class has some max-contract type of players in it, but not sure about superstars. I guess only time will tell.

18. Garner

Garner Member

I would love Aldridge, but his justification for Portland getting rid of him is laughable.

19. teebone21

teebone21 Member

totally agree, Teams will get their cores establised with stars and above average players and fill the rest with minimum contracts. No star player will be on the market for years. The lakers bent over backwards to get the howard trade done because they knew they wouldnt be able to get him next season. The new CBA will limit tax teams but that wont stop vets from taking huge paycuts to pay for a winner like ray allen and rashard lewis. Rockets will be on the outside looking in for the next couple years if we dont get atleast one alllstar player to get others attention

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

Houston send Martin to Atlanta, 2nd round pick to Cleveland.
    Atlanta sends our pick back here and Horford to Cleveland
    Cleveland sends Atlanta a top 10 protected pick.

Atlanta dumps Horford, upgrades its pick.

Cleveland gets a servicable and solid big man for cheap.

We get our pick back.