1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2012-13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

depends on what "other assets" mean.
    but a likely late lotto pick + smaller assets sounds like a fair price for a guy of his caliber.

you can't expect to get a top 20 player for those pieces, unless it's a Howard-like pennies on the dollar sale.

that's overrating certainly. i've seen a few of those too, but not many.

2. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Wouldn't it be nice for some of you guys if we could just say we got DIBS on one of your best players and here, you can have these players for your trouble!!

3. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Back when we were trying to 'win now' - Jefferson would have been a definite upgrade over Scola. No point in goign after Jefferson now.

4. Leavell-Headed

This.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Here's a rumor that's probably a notch below Bill Ingram level, so take it FWIW. It does make sense to some extent, but odds are there's nothing to it at all.

http://forums.hoopshype.com/forums/index.php?topic=76187.0

I could see the Rockets liking Neal and the Spurs sorta have one guard too many with DeColo coming over.
    I also could see the case of moving Patterson for Neal and picks, not so much because it's the great value deal Morey is usually looking for -- the Rockets in a way would be selling low on Patterson -- but because it would create playing time for all our rookies and perhaps make us lose a game or two more. This move would also create a little more cap space.
    Not sure if we'd agree to a deal that could make the Raps better. Maybe the Rockets don't think Blair will make any difference.

Anyway, would you move Patterson for Neal, a 1st from the Spurs and a 2nd or two from the Raptors or something along those lines?

6. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

I suggested Patterson for the Spurs first earlier in this thread. I would do it. Our three rookie PF’s all have more potential than Pat and need to play. I’d also package Patterson and Morris for a pick projected a bit earlier than that because I think Morris will continue to rot on the bench.

7. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

i'd rather keep Blair than "a 2nd or two from the Raptors" Blair could be a nice back-up center to this team.
    PP for Neal + Blair + a 1st from the spurs? sounds too good to be true.

8. teebone21

teebone21 Member

1st from spurs is worthless as well as blair. do we really need ANOTHER undersized pf?

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Is there anybody on the Rockets who is untradeable in any of your eyes? I'm speaking just in terms of a player you do not want to part with in any trade scenario?

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Chandler

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Kmart/morris to utah for al jefferson...

they need a sg and we could use a center... they are both expiring, so keeps us flexible going forward... i know i know, we need to develop our youngsters, well this opens up time for.lamb, and depending on how asik plays either makes a solid C rotation, or a much better starter with asik back to his backup role...

Tjones/royce/livingston/dal1st/2nd rders+filler to Atl for j.smoov...

We grab another all-star caliber player with an expiring contract, thus making us more flexible, and in a position with bird rights of two very nice players...

Throw a max offer at Harden in FA and hope okc doesnt match...

Lin(allstar caliber)
    Harden(allstar caliber)
    Parsons(defensive stopper/glue guy)
    Jsmoove(allstar caliber)
    BigAl(allstar caliber)

I think this team would be a contender, a lighter one, but a contender still none the less... four allstar type players and that defensive stopper... id go to bat with that team...

Although, this is entirely hypothetical and so many variables thats its almost certain to not happen, but i think its possible amd i would be ecstatic...

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Absolutely nobody is untouchable...

Everybody should be made available if its for the betterment of the team...

But the last player i want seen traded, id have to agree with jopat, chandler bang...

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Blair's knees are a huge question mark. He's also undersized. Pass.

14. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

If anyone should be untouchable in Morey's eyes I would hope it's Lamb and Parsons

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Really sounds like we're not taking on Blair (under the rumoured deal there).

Sounds like it's Neal + a first or 'no deal' as far as we're concerned.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Oh - also, a Spurs first is still a first round pick.

You never know what happens in the NBA. Couple of them go down with injuries for the year and suddenly they're a lotto team or the pick becomes mid teens.

Even if it's in the 25-30 range, it's still worth a 'first round pick' when making a deal. It might be enough to entice a GM to make a deal

(ie, we want to trade Martin + Morris for Jefferson, Utah might say "give us a first and it happens" and voila, we give them a first)

OR it can be used as 'gravy' on top of another first to make a bigger deal

(ie, we want to trade Lamb + Jones +Tor pick for Harden. They say "give us another first and it happens" and voila, we give them a first).

[[Incidentally it'd be rather sweet if we could make all 3 of those moves happen right away, getting Neal and the Spurs first, then flipping Martin/Lamb/Jones for Jefferson/Harden]]

17. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

And it sounds like the 1st we really want will come from the 3rd team in the deal. Wouldn't be surprised if Morey moves on from Toronto and tries to get a protected 1st from either the Wizards or Magic. That is, if this trade is even legit.

On the other hand, I agree with your analysis about a 1st rounder being a 1st rounder - just look at the recent Magic pick haul. Also, consider that the Spurs are going to all be a year older, and a handful of NBA teams got a heck of a lot better over the summer, so the pick could actually end up being in the lower 20s.

Like this trade for all teams involved, especially if we move Martin in the near future. Even if the only value Neal adds is his winning mentality, I like it.

18. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Hell yes, I would love that trade :)

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Meh.... I guess we would just have to see what kind of draft picks are floating around in this deal to see whether its worth it to give up Patterson or not at this point.

I know that Patterson probably isn't the longterm solution, but he's still going to be a quality player in the NBA. You just dont give him up right now for a second round draft pick, and Gary Neal. He's not going to stump the development of this years rookie bigs. If anything, he's going to help them earn their minutes by outplaying him on the defensive end.

Right now, If Im Morey, I try to wait until training camp to move Patterson or Morris as a sweetener to a Kevin Martin deal if there is one out there. That is, unless you are getting a Toronto Raptors type of 1st round pick, or even a nice future pick like the Dallas pick(Yes, I like this pick more than you might think.)

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i'm possibly a bit biased, i like Gary Neal a lot since his Euro days. but i like that deal.
    Obviously, as the poster above said, depends on the pick. Patterson is a bigger asset who may still live up to where he was picked. So you'd want to at least get a late 1st out of the deal next to Neal.

But Neal as the 3rd/4th guard in the rotation makes a lot of sense. He's a real pro, solid basketball and life experience, solid role player skill set.

You don't want to be developing 6-7 projects at the same time. Especially when starting center and point guard lack experience. Select 3-4 (i guess that's '12 first rounders and Donatas) and put them in position to succeed by surrounding them with pro vets.
    If you can cash in on Patterson, Morris, Jajuan etc, do it.