1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2012-13

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Aug 10, 2012.

1. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

HOLY ****!!! IS THIS TRUE?!

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

According to Twitter it is. Not sure if it's going to be China, Taipei, the Philippines or all 3 though.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rockets owner Leslie Alexander told me today they are to play preseason games in China this fall. Their opponent is reportedly the Lakers.</p>&mdash; LI Shuangfu (@LiShuangfu) <a href="https://twitter.com/LiShuangfu/status/299343206972276736">7. Februar 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>According to @<a href="https://twitter.com/lishuangfu">lishuangfu</a> Lakers &amp; Warriors will play games in China next fall, Pacers &amp; Rockets will play in Taipei &amp; Philippines</p>&mdash; Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/299953669502287872">8. Februar 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Wizards trade- Nene, 2013 2nd rd pick
    Get- Morris, Smith, fillers for Portland
    (They get rid of Nene's contract and cut payroll short-term as well)

Portland trade- Hickson, fillers
    Get- Nene, 2013 2nd rd pick Wizards (unprotected)

Houston trades- Smith, Morris
    Get- Hickson

Right before July we trade Asik, Ppat, expirings (Aldrich, Douglas) for Bosh so that Miami can avoid some of the harsh tax penalties coming up next season.

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/Anderson
    Parsons/Delfino
    Bosh/Dmo/Jones
    Hickson

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The Heat aren't breaking up the Big 3. They didn't team up just to be together for 3 years...

5. rogower

rogower Member

The Miami Heat may or may not ultimately trade Dwyane Wade and/or Lebron James, but:

1) It obviously is not going to happen this season, as Miami intends to defend their title; and

2) If/when it does happen, one should assume that management first gets Lebron James' stamp of approval. Without Lebron's stamp of approval, you risk alienating Lebron, and don't forget that he will opt out of his contract at the end of the 2013-14 season (next season!). If Lebron is happy with his situation in Miami, then he presumably re-signs; if he's unhappy, then he presumably doesn't re-sign. So Miami obviously needs to keep him happy.

The fact that Miami, due to mismanagement by Pat Riley, has dug themselves into this ridiculous financial hole creates a huge problem for that organization. They are basically forced to pay out the yin yang in order to keep Lebron happy, and, even if they do pay out the yin yang, he still may go and sign with somebody else in July 2014.

I expect Lebron to sign with whoever he thinks improves the Lebron James brand the most that summer. Presumably, Lebron believes that the best way to improve the Lebron James brand is to win as many championships as possible. So he will presumably want to sign with whoever gives him the best supporting cast imaginable. And I'm not sure that the Miami supporting cast is going to be the best supporting cast available in July 2014. I have to think that Daryl Morey realizes this. I have to think that Morey would love to sign Lebron that summer. This is why I've decided that Houston's best course of action is to continue to accumulate assets, continue to put together the best YOUNG team imaginable all while holding on to however much cap space it's going to take that summer to sign Lebron (presumably around $20 mil). The ultimate upgrade at the "power forward" position is Lebron. Add Lebron to this James Harden-Chandler Parsons-Jeremy Lin-Omer Asik-etc. core and we're talking about a team that can and probably should not only win championship after championship but may also challenge that all-time single season winning percentage record set by the Chicago Bulls during the late 1990s.

This is what I think Morey's trying to do. Am I the only person who is seeing this?

6. rogower

rogower Member

Sorry, make that Dwyane Wade and/or Chris Bosh. Obviously Miami will not trade Lebron James.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here's a trade I really think makes sense for all three teams-

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=b7wb3m5

Houston Out - Patterson(2012/13 salary- 2.09mil 13/14 Salary- 3.1 mil)
    Houston In- Marshon Brooks(2012/13 salary- 1.193 13/14 Salary- 1.27 mil)

Brooklyn Out- Humphries, Brooks
    Brooklyn In- Bargnani, Kleiza

Toronto Out- Bargnani, Kleiza
    Toronto In- Humphries, Patterson

..................................................................................................

Why Toronto does this- 2 reasons- Cap savings, and moving Bargnani for two post players who really fit their new system much, much better. Patterson can still space the floor like Bargnani, but has an 8 mil a year discount. Humph gives them a short term solution to their rebounding and interior toughness problem.

Good move for them considering they might be looking to dump Bargnani right now anyways. They get two very good player in return, and get much more financially flexible by moving Kleiza and Bargnani's salary.

Why Brooklyn does this- They need offense in a bad way, and a deeper roster. Bargnani can fill it up, and probably fits in better in this group than a Josh Smith, or whatever other high dollar PF they are trying to acquire. Bargnani believe it or not actually comes much cheaper as well. Losing Brooks stinks, but he's being severly underused here, and they were probably planning on moving him anyways in a package for a player like Smith that was on an expiring contract. I think they part with him for Bargnani in a heartbeat.

Why Houston does this- 4 reasons-

-further helps out their cap situation this Summer to have more to offer free agents, or salary they can take back in a mega trade.
    -gives them a nice young scoring guard who can spell Harden's minutes, and develop along with a young team that has a chance to give him major minutes off the bench in a 6th man type of role.
    -Brooks is locked up for another 2 years after this one, and he is a GREAT trade asset. This Summer where they are looking to make a move for another star player, IMO Brooks has that potential that all GM's crave. No doubt IMO he would be viewed as a great trade asset if given more minutes in Houston.
    -helps thin out their PF dilemma. Its a necessary evil that at some point they are going to need to address.

Patterson for Marshon Brooks is a more than fair deal IMO. Jones, D-Mo, can battle it out for minutes at the back PF spot for the remaining weeks in the season while Morris holds down the fort as the starter the remainder of the season.

8. rogower

rogower Member

I'm not seeing the upside in Marshon Brooks, who is actually slightly older (DOB 01/26/1989) than Patrick Patterson (DOB 03/14/1989). I also seriously doubt that Brooks is much of a trade asset. I doubt that there are any teams that look at Brooks and think to themselves, "Damn, there's our starting SG for the next five years right there!" I think we're about to find out what Brooks is worth between now and 2/21, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

My guess is that somebody (can't remember who) on this board was right when he pointed out that it makes more sense to just hold on to Patrick Patterson for now and to instead trade him for a draft pick on or shortly before the 2013 draft, or for a future draft pick following the draft (i.e., in early July). That is, if you aren't able to somehow trade Patterson in a quantity-for-quality deal for a better PF between now and 2/21.

I also think that Brooklyn can get a better grossly overpaid player in exchange for Kris Humphries than the grossly overpaid Andrea Bargnani. Humphries has one year remaining on his contract (he's owed $12 mil next year), so there are several teams that would gladly trade a grossly overpaid player whose contract extends beyond the 2013-14 season straight up for Humphries. Here are a few obvious Humphries trades that Brooklyn could probably make:

Jeff Green-Jason Terry combo (Brooklyn would need to toss in Brooks)
    Tyrus Thomas-Ramon Sessions combo (Brooklyn would need to toss in Brooks)
    Carlos Boozer
    Roy Hibbert (Brooklyn would need to throw in a first round pick or two)
    Eric Gordon (Brooklyn would need to throw in a first round pick or two)
    Arron Afflalo-Al Harrington combo (Brooklyn would need to toss in Brooks)
    Michael Beasley-Channing Frye combo
    Marcus Thornton-Chuck Hayes combo
    Andrea Bargnani
    Nene Hilario

My guess is that Indiana and New Orleans may both balk at trading these big name guys (at least right now) and that Brooklyn trades Humphries for either Boozer, Nene, or that Green-Terry combo.

Brooklyn is probably the most poorly managed team in the league right now. They are just completely out of control and on the verge of assembling an all-overpaid starting five that will routinely struggle to get out of the first round. Just a total disaster.

9. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

If and when the Lakers do decide to deal Dwight Howard at the trade deadline and Howard agrees to sign a long term contract with the Rockets..

LA Lakers acquire:

Omer Asik
    Chandler Parsons
    Marcus Morris
    Toney Douglas
    Cole Aldrich

Houston Rockets receive:

Dwight Howard
    Earl Clark

Which General Manager says no? Kupchak or Morey?

10. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

If and when the Lakers do decide to deal Dwight Howard at the trade deadline and Howard agrees to sign a long term contract with the Rockets..

LA Lakers acquire:

Omer Asik
    Chandler Parsons
    Marcus Morris
    Toney Douglas
    Cole Aldrich

Houston Rockets receive:

Dwight Howard
    Earl Clark

Which General Manager says no? Kupchak or Morey?

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Rockets post-trade potential Starting 5:

PG- Jeremy Lin
    SG- James Harden
    SF- Carlos Delfino
    PF- Patrick Patterson
    C- Dwight Howard

Lakers post -trade potential starting 5:

PG- Steve Nash
    SG- Kobe Bryant
    SF- Chandler Parsons
    PF- Pau Gasol
    C- Omer Asik

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I'd be much more comfortable throwing in Lin instead of Parsons (with Asik) as the main piece.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think our games next year in Taiwan and such pretty much state that we ain't gowanns to trade Lin.

14. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

I Agree and i would throw in 2Pat also, so they get a young PF. and for them coming off from bench gives them some scoring also from bench.

15. jimbo0488

jimbo0488 Member

Asik has done a great job. I would like to get him and trade for/sign an elite PF.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Can't fathom why people think Miami brought this team together, won a championship, and are going to break it up just a couple seasons later just because of financial reasons that they UNDOUBTABLY knew of going in...

C'mon people...it ain't happening.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Omer Asik for Lebron James.

Makes sense for everyone.

18. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

19. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Agree - Les is business man and will ride Lin until he become not marketable. I not sure if that will every happen. Let just hope he put up better numbers next year. TS%, FT%, FG% 3pt% are all worst then the previous season.

20. Moonscope

Moonscope Member