1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2011-12

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joesr

joesr Member

is 4 percent that much more efficient??? From a Superstar 46 percent to a role player 42 percent?? From 15 mil plus to 800k???

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

The bold line I made is "upside" and "potential", I never said how he would play in the NBA. I just think that we should let a guy that has a greater possibility of being a more valuable 3 than Bud play more minutes. It's not that we have a great shot at the title anyways, let guys like Morris and Thabeet find their spot to see what players we need to rebuild on.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ehm, did you not read the 82% assisted part and one-dimensional shooter part? I expect a shooter that gets assited on 4/5 of his shots to make a better percentage than one of the most guarded players in the league that takes over in crunch time and scores against double/triple teams in every possible way.

4. parmesh

parmesh Member

**** Thabeet.

5. joesr

joesr Member

I dont agree with anyone knowing how much potential a player has until he hits actual NBA play time. Even scouts are wrong, a lot. I do agree on letting players have more time, but only once they have proved it to coach. I would def just repair and rebuild, a year ago though, lol. But now, that we know Patterson seems legit and seems like he could only get better, I would try to trade Scola for an SF or C. /shrug

6. joesr

joesr Member

Well heres my conflict with the example I gave you. 2 superstars and a all star on the Heat its kinda hard to double, triple so I can almost assure that one of the three will get a good look on assisted shots.

And btw, the fg percentage for the other two are higher then LBJ. Just saying

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Who cares about FG%?

TS% & eFG% is where it's at my friends. :)

Budingers percentages aren't great, but remember that he was in a shooting slump early on, after coming back from a rather severe ankle injury.

I'm not as high on Bud as DD, but I don't get the hate Budinger gets on this board sometimes. To me he's a 7th man, at worst. You probably don't want him starting, but he's not some random scrub either.

You don't win with rookies in this league, so if the Rockets want to win, Budinger is the better option. For right now, anyway.

Morris might be better down the road, but it'll take time to adjust to the NBA, new teammates, a new system, etc...
    I'd be actually surprised if he gets any playing time for the first few weeks, perhaps months even.

8. Garner

Garner Member

Fact of the matter is, and what you are failing to understand, is all-star potential or not, most drafted NBA players do not reach Budinger's level.

To suggest than an untested rookie who has never put on the Jersey for more than photos should be starting over Budinger outright, regardless of Budinger's flaws, is outrageous.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, I do. But it won't take long for me. I've seen enough of him to know that if he isn't flying around the court double speed, and he's playing all tentative on top of being clutzy, then it isn't going to happen. The hustle and the self-insertion of himself into the rebounding/shotblocking mix has to start immediately. The aggression.....it has to be immediate.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Confidence is a strange beast, it comes for everyone at different speeds.

Got to give the guy time on the court to find his confidence.

DD

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Before he can be confident, he needs to go out there and leave it on the floor, be aggressive, not tentative, forget the foul count, just go out there and attempt to be a menace in the paint. If he can't do that, he'll never get his confidence. If he's still playing all tentative and we see that out there in repeated stints, in my opinion, it's over as far as him developing into anything significant. He may knock around the league for 10 years, Chuck Nevitt style, but he won't be more than a bench big put in to cover a few minutes here or there when the rotation bigs are in foul trouble. He's got to be aggressive early.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I actually think he will be. I just think he needs to be out there long enough to establish himself. I already know that he will make mistakes. My only concern is can he learn from them. You learn the plays by playing in the game.
    Also, he has played for 4 different teams in his 2 year career( Memphis+ their d-league team and the Rockets+ Vipers ). 4 different coaches, 4 different groups of teammates. I am willing to bet that Thabeet playing a full season at 15-20 minutes off the bench would net the Rockets and us fans the results that we are looking for.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

A #1 overall pick?

14. davestrate

davestrate Member

I guess Baron David should start over Kyrie Irving too then huh?

15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Can anyone think of any reasonable returns we maybe able to get from our 2009 class? I cant wait to see them off our roster.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wow if you really think this...you make C-Bud sound like an All-Star in all your posts.

And I co-sign dave with the B. Diddy - Irving post, being in the league for a few years means nothing, there're rookies that are way better than many veterans.

If any team could get a promising lottery rookie by dumping a vet from their roster I'm sure the vast majority would do it in a heartbeat.

17. Garner

Garner Member

Reading comprehension- you strugglz with it.

What I'm saying is that no, Budinger is not an all-star, but he is found a place in the NBA as a 20mpg player. Most drafted players never see that type of floor time.

To the Baron Davis comment- way to cherry pick the #1 draft pick vs. one of the biggest problem players in the NBA. With the Amensty cuts coming around, Baron's days as a Cav are numbered as is.

Either way, Marcus Morris was not the #1 pick in a god awful draft and Budinger is no where near the nut case Baron Davis is.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Garner you are nailing it.

Most picks in the middle of the first round bust out....

DD

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Reading comprehension, you strugglz with it.

I said "you make him sound like an all-star". ;)

To your 20mpg point, I really think a lot of our guys are benefiting from the fact that they play on a no-playoff team that ran down the court and gave them tons of shots. The stats are inflated and many of our guys would really struggle on deep teams in my opinion.

Okay, let's forget Baron Davis. But do you really think teams would take veterans like Reddick, Flynn, Hill, Henderson, Daye over rookies like Vesely, Fredette, Walker, Leonard, etc.?

The "veteran" point is trash, NBA experience doesn't mean you're better than a rookie.
    Would you take Center "veterans" Hawes, Anthony, Mohammend, Milicic over rookies like Kanter or Valanciunas? Hell no.

I also disagree with the "god awful draft", many rookies will surprise folks here. This class has potentially big time contributors hidden even in the deep 2nd round.

20. Garner

Garner Member

I have clearly stated twice now I do not believe Budinger to be anything more than a roll player.

Could you please explain or give an example of what stats are inflated?

Ok, you are a bit vague here, but do i think teams would take your listed veterans over your exampled rookies to build a team around for the indefinite future? no, not necessarily, but that is not what we are talking.

We are discussing who gets the game 1 season opener start- a veteran player like Budinger who has proven he can handle 20mpg over the course of a season vs. a rookie like morris who has never touched the floor. Until the rookie proves in practice and in games he is the superior player, experience is going to keep the veteran eating those rotational minutes.

You kind of make my point in your examples, but without getting lost in the weeds here:

Reddick > Fredette all day long. Fredette is a poor mans Reddick.

Flynn, Hill, and Daye are not starters as it is.

Anthony and Mohammed both played very valuable playoff minutes while Kanter never even played college ball.

You know what a big time contributor hidden in the 2nd round of a draft looks like? a 20mpg roll player like Chase Budinger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.