1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2010-11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Do you think Josh Smith could fit with the Rockets and fill our defensive void?

1. Yes

460 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. No Way we need someone else

94 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -2.6 ppg, -4.5 rpg, and +0.2 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Daniel Gibson
    6-2 PG from Texas
    6.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 19.1 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    David Andersen
    0-0 from
    5.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 14.1 minutes
    Mike Harris
    6-6 PF from Rice
    3.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.4 apg in 10.3 minutes

Home Town Magic! :grin:

2. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +2.4 ppg, -0.3 rpg, and +1.3 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Grant Hill
    6-8 SF from Duke
    11.3 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.4 apg in 30.0 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    David Andersen
    0-0 from
    5.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 14.1 minutes
    Mike Harris
    6-6 PF from Rice
    3.1 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.4 apg in 10.3 minutes

Two Dukies = Championship ! :eek:

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Houston trade breakdown:

No one

Houston laces em up and goes to war with:

The RED NATION !!!

GET UP GET UP !!

DD

4. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

How about someone come up with a 3+ team deal where we don't get Paul? Seriously, if Paul is going to be traded, I see us getting involved and getting another near all-star type guy rather then getting Paul. That would be a lot easier to swallow for the Hornets then trading their star player to us. Say perhaps something where Paul goes to Indy (not that he wants to go there), Granger here and maybe Hill + expirings go out?

5. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Ditto, let's play ball with a team of 9 plus hoopers and let's give the team of 3 plus some scrubs a run for their money.

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

DD, c'mon man, you're lying. You know damn well you want to trade everybody for Von Wafer! :grin:

7. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Follow DD's Twitter Extravagenza!

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The way I think about it, if the Rockets want Paul and wants to give NOH what it wants-- salary relief from both Okafor and Posey + young talent + decent picks-- the following 3 team trade with Boston and NOH would be the way to do it:

Rockets out: Battier, Ariza, Jeffries, Andersen, Johnson, Harris, AB and Hill+ their 2011 pick (NY's or Houston's whichever the Rockets end up having), 2012 NY pick.
    Rockets in: Paul, Okafor, and Posey

NOH out: Paul, Okafor and Posey
    NOH in: Battier, Jeffries, Andersen, Johnson, Harris, AB, Hill, Rasheed Wallace + the picks.

Boston out: Rasheed Wallace (assuming he has decided to retire as he said)
    Boston in: Ariza

Maybe the Rockets work a "side deal" for NOH to waive Battier "Big Z style" to let him return (Posey can fill the Battier role, but rather have 2 of these guys since they are both getting up there in age and have injury risk).

In any case, the Rockets get the star they want, NOH gets maximum salary relief (if NOH wants, HOU also has $3 mil trade exception from Landry deal to eat Julian Wright), a couple of young talent in AB and Hill (they can trade AB if they want to give minutes to Collison, presumably Indy wouldn't mind buying him), and what could be decent picks (unlike other teams who likely will trade their own picks, the team getting CP will likely have crappy picks, not necessarily true here since we talking about NY's picks). Boston fills the perimeter defender role that used to be filled by Tony Allen and a younger James Posey.

9. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Paul/Lowry
    Martin/Taylor
    Posey/Budinger
    Scola/Miller/Patterson
    Yao/Okafor/Hayes

Nice.

10. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Looks like our chances of aquiring CP3 have gotten higher it seems.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/25/okafors-contract-makes-chris-paul-to-orlando-unlikely/

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-4/1280040009168510.xml&coll=1

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Give Boston Posey, we keep Ariza, and we have a deal.

Ariza > Posey, and Posey won a championship with the Celtics already so they might be willing to take him instead of Ariza.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2f3xscm

By the way, how do you embed a Trade Machine result in your post?

12. valorita

valorita Member

Posey is no longer the versatile defensive ace from the Celtics days. We would need to do a "get Battier back" by offering them cash and tell NO to waive him (Houston would entice Battier back by building a world-class karaoke room in the Toyota center and offering him a job in the coaching staff when he retires).

I would also imagine that Boston would have to pony up picks or young assets to NO. Ariza is worth a lot more than Rasheed's expiring contract.

We absolutely need to keep Yao, Scola, and Martin. Everyone else is up for grabs in a Paul trade scenario.

13. joesr

joesr Member

Another stpud trade idea from meh!

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2couzxs

I've been trying to think of how we can get into the action of the Paul trade without recieving him. I was thinking about this one at work

We're the ones supplying expirings but NJ is supplying immidiate mil savings.

You knocked me last time I used Devin Harris but this time its a 4 way team trade where we also get Granger and Favors.

NJ gets both Paul and Okafer.
    Sending Harris and Favors (has to be after Aug15) to the Rockets.
    T. Williams to the Pacers.
    K. Humphries to NO (expiring) and 2011 1st round.

Indiana gets D. West, T. Ariza and T. Williams.
    Sending Granger to Houston.
    J. McRoberts to Hornets (expiring).
    R. Hibberts to NJ.

NO gets expirings! Brooks, Battier, Hill, Jeffries, Andersen, Humphries and McRoberts. Also a 2011 first round from NJ.
    Sending Paul and Okafer to NJ.
    West to Indiana.

Houston gets Granger and Harris.
    Sending (expirings) Brooks, Battier, Hill, Jeffries, and Andersen to Hornets.
    Ariza to Pacers.

1 person likes this.
  14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I like this trade! It seems plausible but fair. Man would we be giving up a lot in Brooks Battier Ariza and Hill but hell we get two stars in return. You gotta give up a lot to get a lot and I think NO might do this deal if only to start over completely in 2011. NJ would definitely do it, they get the best deal out of the bunch by losing Harris, T Williams, Humphries for CP3 and Okafor. The question is, would Indy trade away Granger for West Ariza and T Williams? They upgrade on talent but not where they desire to, which would be at PG.

Actually, no wait. New Orleans would not do this deal. There's no way they would package West with the Paul/Okafor poison pill duo since West still has significant value and could fetch them more in a separate trade by himself. Damn, that was close at least. I like the thinking!

15. joesr

joesr Member

I was trying to fugre out a way to get rid of Posey as well so that as you mentioned gets rid of all contracts after 2k11 making the West part seem more plausible but dyamn 4 team trades get hard.

16. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

:eek:

lol hell nah

17. Audioout

Audioout Member

Alright, now before anyone lambastes me for an unrealistic trade, I understand 4 team deals are almost impossible to pull off. It's not completely unrealistic, but it's getting there.

http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5644734

Trade Breakdown:

Houston gets: Danny Granger, and Derrick Favors
    Houston trades: Shane Battier, Trevor Ariza, Jordan Hill, Jermaine Taylor, and 2011 1st right to swap, 2012 NY pick, 2011 2nd round pick, cash, rights to Sergio Lull.

Why do we do it?: Derp

Indiana gets: Devin Harris, Emeka Okafor, Jordan Hill, 2011 Hou 1st pick right to swap.
    Indiana trades: Danny Granger, T.J. Ford, and Jeff Foster

Why would Indiana do this?: They can start rebuilding around a foundation of Emeka, Harris, and Paul George whom may eventually replace Granger anyways. Every other contract they have expires leaving them with plenty of pieces to move mid season or just let expire. They also get to address two key weaknesses of for their team at the C and PG positions.

New Jersey gets: Chris Paul, Trevor Ariza
    New Jersey trades: Devin Harris, Derrick Favors

Why would New Jersey do this?
    : They get a solid starter and a superstar to add to Brook Lopez, Travis Outlaw and Jordan Farmar. Excellent deal for them but they'll be taking on a lot more payroll.

New Orleans gets: Shane Battier, Jeff Foster, T.J. Ford, Jermaine Taylor, 2012 NY 1st round pick. 2011 Hou 2nd round pick + cash, rights to Sergio Lull
    New Orleans trades: Chris Paul, Emeka Okafor.

Why would New Orleans do this?: If you are planning to trading your star player and starting over, I don't think they'll get a better deal than this. They'll be getting three expiring contracts worth roughly 22.4 million dollars that they can either move mid season to get someone else in trade or let expire. They will get a young player that is looking more and more like a rotational player and the rights to an up and coming Spanish point guard along with future 1st and 2nd round picks. All while shedding the albatross contract of Okafor and replacing it with an expiring Foster.

Actually, the more I look at this trade the more palatable it becomes to me. Still won't happen but it was fun to look at the possibilities.

Just for ****s though:

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/Budinger/Lowry
    Granger/Budinger
    Scola/Patterson/Hayes/Jeffries
    Yao/Favors/Miller/Anderson

Then mid season trade Anderson or Jeffries (or both) for a serviceable combo guard.

1 person likes this.
  18. joesr

joesr Member

I like how you used the same 4 teams I did. But dont like how we gave up so many picks. NJ needs to give up a pick and we should only give up 1, the choice to trade 2011's. We should change out PPaterson and a 2012 second round for Favors.

19. Audioout

Audioout Member

I want to keep Patterson. Also, if NJ needs to give up a pick (which I agree they kinda do) then that pick needs to go to Indiana to sweeten the deal for them more.

20. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Houston sends out: Ariza, Jeffires, Hill, Andersen, and Harris

Houston receives: AI, Okafor

NO sends: Posey, Okafor, Paul

No receives: Holiday, Hill, Jeffries, Ariza, Kapono

Sixers send: AI, Holiday, Kapono

Sixers receive : Paul, Posey, Andersen, Harris

I just feel that NO won't want to send Paul in the division, but we have more of a place as a 3rd team. Not sure this makes us that much better though, and it certainly puts us in lux tax for years to come. However, if Yao retires, we are in good shape to resign Brooks and still be a solid team.

NO may want better players in return. Sixers probably win out this trade.

Brooks/Lowry
    Martin/AI/Bud/Taylor
    AI/Battier
    Scola/Okafor/PP
    Yao/Okafor/Miller/Hayes