1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2010-11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Do you think Josh Smith could fit with the Rockets and fill our defensive void?

1. Yes

460 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. No Way we need someone else

94 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Won't cut it. T-Will hasn't done anything,and has a bad attitude. C-Bud may replace Casspi.Dragic isn't that good either, although he can help. Evans is worth more than that,despite his bal hogging ways.

2. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

It's not nearly enough for Evans. Ironically I got a lecture from the same poster about how you have to give something to get something.

3. Garner

Garner Member

In what universe is T-Will a glue guy?

4. fattz

fattz Member

That's fair I had it coming; thanks for keeping it real.

I truely think T-Will has value... on the right team he maybe a triple-double waiting to happen on any given night and can play one on one D on the wing, too. He should be a fourth option or less to maxize his potential. A team with a score first point and a big that can score at will in the paint is where he thrive IMO.

This was based on the Kings wanting to move him by the OP'er.

5. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

It doesn't look like we have enough to trade straight up with Kings for Tyreke. To make it work we would have to get one or two more teams involved and include more pieces ourselves. Maybe Martin or Scola will need to go to another team so they can give the Kings what they want in return.

I think Tyreke is one incident/head clash away from officially being shopped. You can do it Tyreke.

6. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

In Jersey he showed he had the potential to become a legit glue guy. He is already an above average defender.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

:eek::confused::confused::rolleyes:

8. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

triple double isnt a definition of a blue guy. Flash of brilliance as a Rookie and possible all star player in a few years.

In twitter, that is.

9. fattz

fattz Member

Here is one since I have no credibilty what the hay

OUT ~ Budinger
    In ~ Hassan Whiteside

Kings:
    C-Bud may replace Casspi.- as stated by saleem
    Rockets:
    -Young raw seven foot shotblocker that does not get payed much- may get some playing time here. He is not really the answer but a fill-in with out much cost til one comes along.
    -C-Bud will be a loss in the short term

10. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3dejven

Hornets perspective:
    Get three very good, relatively young players. Get rid of Paul, who's going to walk after the season anyway. If they want draft picks, rights, or anything else within reason, so be it.

Rockets perspective:
    Get the superstar that we've needed. Suddenly we have team with a lot of size, plus Chris Paul. Can you imagine a Paul-Scola pick and roll? Plus I bet you anything Thabeet, D-Mo, or Hill could catch a few Chris Paul lobs for alley oops. Gaping hole at 2 guard, but who cares. Hopefully have a successful season with Paul and convince him to sign a contract with us. Maybe include a player option regarding more years.

12-Man Roster

Paul/Dragic
    T-Will?
    Budinger/Morris/Parsons
    Scola/Chuck/Patterson/Hill
    Thabeet/D-mo

11. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Oh I forgot the part about us having a strong showing in the playoffs next year, getting ousted in the second round, showing a ton of promise, convincing Dwight Howard to come here (with the help of Hakeem), then winning 12 Championships in a row.

12. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Honestly, I think that Houston team goes nowhere fast, I mean are they even better than the current NOH. Also, I think Hayes will start ahead of Thabeet.

I would consider a trade of either Lowry or Martin (preferably Lowry) but not both. Because, I am not sold that having Paul will bring us Dwight Howard, so how is the team you listed going to compete in the future?

13. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

In Jersey, he slowed down guys he was guarding. He is really good in one on one but his team defense can improve. He is still raw and needs experience.

The T-Will haters on this forum judge his game from what they saw when he played during garbage time. I am a T-Will hater too, only I hate his attitude not his game.

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I agree with you somewhat. Id do Lowry, Martin and Scola for Paul and Oakafor straight up. Maybe throw in a pick too.

CP3/Dragic
    Lee/Bud
    ????/Morris
    Patterson/Hayes
    Oakafor/D-Mo

We would still have "assets" such as T-Will, Hill, Thabeet to trade. Or we can simply not pick up their options for 2012 and save $10 mil. Plus a solid 3 is way is easier to acquire than a decent 5.

15. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

In my opinion if we really want to push for Dwight we should go after Josh Smith for the following reasons:

1. He's an athletic PF, something that is not easy to come by.
    2. He will be cheaper to acquire (He and the Hawks seem to want to part ways).
    3. Howard was Josh's best man.
    4. Even if we don't land Howard we won't be one of those teams with an all-star and no supporting cast.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3oksbbc

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ost-draftlockout-deals-they-could-make/page/3

Scola, Hill, Flynn, T. Williams and a protect first for Smith and M. Williams

Why for Rockets: They get a younger 2 way PF in Smith, some may consider a star. They also have a glut of PGs in Lowry, Dragic and Flynn. I see an upgrade of Scola for Smith as a decent upgrade, which we don't have to pay a ton for. Whereas, an upgrade of Lowry for C. Paul will cost us much more talent wise.

Why for Hawks: They get Scola who can replace Smith's offensive production, they get rid of Marvin Williams contract and get a pick to boot. They get 3 young guys in Flynn, Williams and Hill (who all have team options). This trade could save them tons of money, offsetting some of the spent unwisely.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

By acquiring Smith, and also Marvin, you kill any shot at a second max next offseason and will be hurting to have max money to offer Howard in free agency. I'd offer that deal minus Williams and write in a wink wink agreement that says you will take him via a TPE after free agency only if we land Dwight.

I didnt know that Howard was Smiths best man, so I am more on board with it now than I was before. Having his friends Lee/Smith here as well as legit guys in Lowry/Martin is a decent pitch to offer him.

17. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Instead of rolling the dice in free agency, I'd just as soon trade for Dwight. Orlando might make the playoffs next season (if there is one) but they're not a contender and won't be until they blow it up. If Howard asks out, we might be able to get him. Here's why -

-Houston isn't a destination city, but it's a better-than-average town.
    -We will probably be a playoff team next year
    -We're not capped out like a lot of the big-name teams and can put talent around him.
    -I've heard LA will dangle Bynum for him, but if he has another injury-plagued season, that might not be enticing enough.
    -I'd try to get him to sign an extension pre-trade, but if not, I'd still consider it.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3phtbf9

A near-all-star SG that drops right into the starting lineup, a near all-star (assuming he produces like last year/improves) PG who's better and cheaper than Nelson, and a nice up-and-coming PF , plus ditching Reddick's contract and cutting salary isn't a bad consolation prize for a guy who wants out anyways.

Thoughts?

18. valorita

valorita Member

In order for Howard to sign with any team, I think that he wants them to have a ready championship caliber team that fits him best.

Maybe we can show Dwight that our team last year was constructed exactly so (since we were catering to Yao)

Dwight/Hayes
    Scola/Patterson
    Battier/Bud
    Martin/Lee
    Lowry/Dragic

Now THAT is a top 3 team that has no weaknesses.

19. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Well I agree with you however there are plenty of other teams out there that can sign Dwight and may be better than that Houston team. If the Clippers sign or sign&trade for Dwight they would have a core of Gordon/Griffin/Howard which is pretty darn good, younger and in a better city. Also, it is not clear whether or not Howard intends on leaving Orlando. I think we would need to take the route of putting together a good enough team with players he would love to play with.

With that said I think a core of Lowry/Martin/Smith would be more enticing than Lowry/Martin/Scola. Remember, we all know Scola is not degrading that fast however any potential teams will be worried about his age and contract, which I think affects his value. However I think Scola/Dwight would be a killer combo, but its about enticing Dwight to come here and Smith is younger, better and a friend of Dwight's. I say we keep Lee acquire Smith in a fair trade and try to entice Howard as such, because that is something the Clippers, Lakers or any other team will have a hard time offering.

I realize acquiring Williams would kill or ability to sign a max FA, with that said if theres a way we can acquire Smith alone for a package of Scola, Hill, TWill and pick(s) I would be all ears.

Also, Battier is no longer on our team and that teams weakness would be when Howard fouls out our defense would suffer and I don't think Scola will suffice as post up go to guy down the stretch.