1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2009-10

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 14, 2009.

1. sbyang

sbyang Member

Here's my entry into the CP3 sweepstakes:

Houston trades:

Yao
    Brooks
    Dorsey
    Cook
    3 million bucks

NO trades:

Paul
    Peja

Trade works according to espn trademachine.

Why Houston does it: To get CP3

Why NO does it: To save money this season and make money in future seasons. First of all this trade saves NO about 5 mil in salary for this year, then they get Yao's insurance money for this year. So it's alot of savings for them. When Yao plays for them next year, they'll get additional revenue, making them money. If I was NO, this would be much more attractive than the Tmac trade.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

As much as I would like to see Yao traded or not resigned (or to as much money as he is now), I don't think it is a realistic scenario. Injuried as he is he is still the franchise player. He has no bad press and if traded would probably infuriate almost all Rockets fans. In fact, I am surprised no one has quoted your post and belittled you as a first class moron already.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I LIKE THIS ONE!

Everybody knows Im a huge Rudy fan........so yeah no explanation necessary...Morey please just get Rudy to Houston!!!

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Never thought making up trades while being drunk would be so much fun...how about this one which would change the look of our team completely.

Okafer/KMartin to the Rox

TMAC to New Orleans

Hilton Armstrong/Mo Peterson to Sac Town

Rox do it because it gives them a solid interior presence and a viable scoring "2" guard to go with Ariza and Brooks.

Brooks/Lowry
    KMartin/Budinger/Taylor
    Ariza/Battier/
    Scola/Landry/Cook/Dorsey
    Okafer/Hayes/Andersen/Yao

with Yao

Brooks/Lowry/Free Agent or Trade
    KMartin/Budinger/Taylor
    Ariza/Battier/Free Agent or Trade
    Okafer/Landry/Dorsey
    Yao/Hayes/Andersen/

New Orleans does it so they can free up cap space and flexibilty to resign TMAC if things happen to workout while getting out of Okafer's bad contract.

Sac Town does it because they get out of KMartin contract with the emergence of Evans, Martin is expendable. Mo Pete's contract is up in after 2011 and Armstrong's next year.

The Rox would be making a serious commitment to Okafer/Martin but both are young and fit Adelman's system so the contracts while bad can be used to the Rox advantage in a few years if they flourish.

Side note - Okafer can slide to the "4" when Yao returns creating twin towers and makes Scola expendable in another trade or might free up money for a 2nd tier FA this summer if he is renounced.

Oh yea Tequila is BADDDDDD :rolleyes:

5. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

but Cp3 ekafor thing is already nont working out in new O. what makes u think it would work here??

6. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Our role players >>>>>>>>>> Their role players

7. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

Nice point.

8. joesr

joesr Member

Hmm, whose guidelines do you think i will follow?

a) A just for fun with no logic behind it besides it makes the Rockets better ideal?

b) A realistic ideal that is legit for both teams making it serious but in no way something that Morey has to get'r'done?

I will go with the latter.

The only one who hasnt posted a serious realistic legit trade ideal is, well, you.

Hey did you notice I didnt have to belittle you to put you in your place but yet you've tried it twice, *tisk tisk* :(

9. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I live in OKC and go to the Thunder games some. I don't think OKC would bite here, mainly because Landry is fairly redundant to Green. Green can play a little further from the basket than Landry but other than that they are both undersized power forwards. Green plays PF for the thunder way more than SF. Harden would be a good fit in Houston, he seems to have a good attitude and good court vision. His defense is lacking but I think it will improve with playing time. OKC is looking for the same thing we are in terms of post players and that is a rebounding/shot blocking TALL post player. They have plenty of short post players.... just like us.

Green is another player that would be a great fit here, he plays the game right with passion and skill but would be redundant to several players we have except that he is younger.

If you could send Scola and Jermaine, for say Green AND Harden that would be something, I don't know if the salarys work or not though. I think Scola might be a bigger prize than Landry for the Thunder but that would leave us looking a LOT like the Thunder do now in the post, undersized and under experienced. Scola would be a great pickup for the Thunder in terms of leadership and I think they would imediately turn into a scary team to play because Scola has the attitude they are missing. IMO Green is the player to steal from the Thunder and if you got Harden too, that's just gravy. If we did this trade though I think it would hurt us this year but we would be VERY young and VERY tallented with a great looking future. We would still be short though, unless Yao comes back.

1 person likes this.
  10. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

What we need right now, is a big one who can play good defense and catch rebounds.

11. Yak

Yak Member

Could someone explain to me how NBA contracts are paid?

If Tmac is owed $23 million, does he receive the whole sum at the beginning of the season, the end of the season, a certain date in the middle of the season, or is it slowly distributed as the season continues?

People often mention that his contract will be worth more at the trade deadline. Is this because the Rockets would have already paid all or most of his $23 million?

12. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Ok here's mine...

I looked for(for Rockets):

Starting defensive minded C on a not too long term contract.
    Starting level wing who can score.

This is predicated on:
    Washington is terrible, again, why not go ahead and shed salary and start the rebuild. It isn't working there.

Charlotte has a huge need for a legit PF and 2 high priced Centers on the bench.

Fillers where needed.

Houston out:
    McGrady

Houston in:
    Chandler
    Butler

Washington out:
    Jamison
    Butler

Washington in:
    McGrady

Charlotte out:
    Chandler

Charlotte in:
    Jamison

C - Chandler, Hayes, Andersen, Yao
    PF - Scola, Landry, Cook, Dorsey
    SF - Butler, Battier
    SG - Ariza, Budinger, Taylor
    PG - Brooks, Lowry

13. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

The fact that most deals are done at the deadline has nothing to do with the alleged "ever-increasing trade value". That's false because the Rockets would have only paid half of the $23 million. It's just that teams can have a hard time coming to agreement on a deal until the deadline is close so they finally have to pull the trigger if they strongly incline to have something done.

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

A big one?

Do you mean "one" as in a point guard or do you just mean we need a big player?

The trade above doesn't address our post problems and was not intended to. That trade gets us tallented young players one of which is a 2 guard. The 2G is a huge area of need for this team and is second only to our need for 6'10"+ post player that can rebound, block shots and play defense(scoring ablility would be nice too).

We would have to throw in Cook to make the salaries work but the Thunder can resign Scola next year when Cook comes off the books. This also keeps the Thunder from having to resign Westbrook, Green, and Durant all in the same season. It would help us in that we only have Lowry, Landry, and Chuck to resign with some of the money from TMac's expiring contract. It might get us closer to being able to go after Bosh. Bosh with Green and Landry would be something to see in Adleman's offense. Trading Battier's contract for an expiring one at the deadline would help too. I like Battier's game alot but as soon as we get a decent 2G, Ariza and CBud will be plenty to man the SF spot.

Jerome James
    Udonis Haslem
    Tony Battie
    Mark Blount
    Brian Cardinal

All of these guys have expiring contracts around the value for Battier's contract. Heck, OKC wouldn't do it but they have Etan Thomas's contract which is about right of Battier's contract.

15. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

i meant a big player, not a big PG.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Okay, here's my attempt:

Tracy McGrady

for

Stephen Jackson
    Corey Maggette
    Speedy Claxton
    1st round pick (OR Anthony Randolph)

------------------------------------
    Why the Warriors do this:

Stephen Jackson is a massive contract and a massive drain on their team right now. I think he literally has a negative trade value - GS has been trying to trade him, but there have been no bites.

Maggette, like Sjax, has a big contract that GS has regretted since signing him. Trading him would also allow them to give his 30 something minutes to a younger player who could develop with them.

Claxton is just an expiring contract that makes the numbers work.

This trade is more about getting GS out from under two bad contracts and malcontents on their team.

Why Houston does this:

LeBron isn't coming to Houston. Neither is Wade, nor Bosh. We simply won't have the cap space to afford any of them. This trade would make Houston a lot more athletic and bigger up front - SJax can be the big 2 guard we need, and Maggette can be another scoring punch off the bench.

The key to Houston taking these contracts is getting GS' 1st round pick or Anthony Randolph.

GS is not good. They're not going to be good at any point this year. Their 1st round pick would most likely be a top 10 pick - something Morey could perhaps combine with the Rockets first round pick to move up and get a top 3 player, or keep and get a top 10 talent - either way, the Rockets win.

If they include Randolph instead... Randolph is a stud. He's a 6'10 PF who would be perfect next to Yao - he can jump out of the gym, runs the floor extremely well, and has a nice little midrange jump shot. People complain about the Rockets lack of height - Randolph would immediately solve that.

----------------------

Brooks/Lowry
    Sjax/Battier/Budinger
    Ariza/Maggette
    Randolph/Scola/Landry
    Yao/Hayes/Andersen

That's a heck of a team. Additionally, we have a glut at PF with Landry being the 3rd one. We could use Landry as trade bait to help upgrade our team in other areas (another big to backup Yao, or combine with Brooks to help get a more stable option at PG)

17. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

It may sound a bit awkward, but what about trading Tracy McGrady for Rajon Rondo?

Why HOUSTON does it:
    A little man like rondo would be able to work well with the rest of the team and he wouldn't break our chemistry, and he also has a very consistent shot from the field.

Why BOSTON does it:
    Someone like McGrady wouldn't hurt them at all, someone who can play both the shooting guard and small forward position, with a good jumper.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

one of the rules here is for the trades to be realistic....it's not realistic to expect opposing teams to give up a significant player at a position they arent deep in to get a player from us that doesnt play that position.

It's also not realistic for us to give up a lot to bring in a player who's going to clog up a spot we already have filled.

We're trying to build a team here, not to collect either point guards, centers, or swingmen only to leave other spots with holes.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tracy McGrady for Kevin Martin and Kenny Thomas.

Than we deal Kenny Thomas for Emeka Okafor...

Aaron Brooks
    Kevin Martin
    Trevor Ariza
    Luis Scola
    Emeka Okafor
    -------------------
    Kyle Lowry
    Chase Budinger
    Shane Battier
    Carl Landry
    Chuck Hayes

20. Egghead

Egghead Member

realized I shoulda posted it in this thread...

Rockets get: Okafor, Larry Hughes (13 MIL expiring), and Julian Wright
    Hornets get: Eddy Curry and Brian Cook (BOTH expiring)
    Knicks get: T-MAC