1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2008-09

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 10, 2008.

1. drich

drich Member

have you watched Kirk play? he shoots well plays hard ALL THE TIME what else do you want? he is only making 10 million this year and it will decrease every year after with him only making 8 million his last year which is just 2 million over the mid level...so tell me again how is he over paid?

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

to be fair to him, he has been injured. BUT, still, he got his contract after a career year and since has seen declines (some large) in every major statistical category. If his contract was fair when he signed it, he has gotten worse, he is being overpaid. Yes, he does play hard, and his contract is unique, but at this point, he's overpaid and simply not an upgrade for us.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is a significant upgrade over Rafer....significant.....

DD

4. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Just reading the quote that is a good milwakee move At this point however in 2010 you would be suprised by FA who would want to sign with Houston because of the city market and Yao.

5. JayZ750

eh, I'm not so convinced. An upgrade, for sure, but then, is there a PG out there who isn't? As much as he "manages" the game, when you are as bad a shooter as Rafer is, well...it is just painful, and hard not to find a starting PG out there who isn't an upgrade. But I was refering to an overall upgrade. Trading TMac for Hinrich is not an upgrade.

And again, at what price for Hinrich? He's getting about the same as a Mo Williams, without equal production, and more than a Steve Blake or Ridnour.

Not saying I wouldn't consider it as part of a package of some sorts. But it wouldn't be my first choice, and not if Hinrich was the big asset in return. Which makes it difficult, because Chicago doesn't have that many enticing assets. Like Hinrich, Deng got paid off some good seasons and has since reverted. Nocioni is way overpaid as well. They're not going to trade Rose, obviously. And while the Noah's/Thomas of the world are intriguing, they're nothing special.

Ben Gordon is who I'd want. Granted, he is still playing for a contract, and perhaps after he gets it he may follow Deng, Hinrich and Nocioni back towards mediocrity. BUT, he's still just 25, he's shot OVER 40% from 3 every year of his career, he's working on his second year of 45%+ shooting from the field (and again, considering that 1/3 of his shots are threes and he is so good at that but it nonetheless still brings the overall FG% down, that isn't bad at all), he's not a PG but certainly not Luther Head handling the ball out there and does average a consistent 3+ assists per game and 3+ rebounds per game. The downside is that he is small...he's a SG in a PG's body. Could you even play him with Brooks in the same backcourt? He surprisingly doesn't get a ton of steals, either. And it's not as if the teams defense has been stellar lately, so it's an issue. And he is unsigned, so if you do trade Tracy for him, then you have both him and Artest unsigned at year-end.

So I wouldn't totally dismiss something like:

Tracy, Alston
    for
    Gordon, Hinrich, Hughes

Of course, unless all of Chicago is infatuated with TMac like Sam Smith, it's not entirely clear what that gains them? They basically only do the deal if they, like me, think Hinrich is way overpaid. Hughes definitely is, but his contract comes of the books at the "right" time, like TMac and Alston, so from a salary cap help, that's not too helpful (unless you argue that having it all as one big chunk might be more enticing if you wanted to move it for some pieces that season and take yourself out of the FA sweepstakes).

But it's something I would consider

PG: Hinrich, Brooks
    SG: Gordon, Wafer, Hughes, Head, Artest/Battier
    SF: Artest, Battier
    PF: Scola, Landry
    C: Yao, Deke

I'm not so convinced. A lot of teams are positioning themselves for the 2010 FA market, and while there is the potential for a lot of great FAs, there's no guarantee any would come to Houston. Even if you did get one, so what? The Rockets already did that, effectively, by getting Tracy to join Yao (when he was about to hit his prime, btw), and they still aren't out of the first round. There's no guarantees that would work, either.

So instead of crossing your fingers that the Tracy/Yao combo somehow works until then, hoping to entice one or 2 solid FA signings and filling out the rest of the lineup appropriately, and then hoping that works, if you can make your team better now, I think you do that.

I think a Milwaukee/Redd trade would be very similar to the Chicago/Gordon based trade above. Either would net you a true SG with a history of solid 3 point shooing and solid scoring and the ability to fit into an "Adelman" style offense.

#1185 JayZ750, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  6. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

There is a problem. Gordon wants how many mil next season and taking on Hinrich and Huges takes you out of the Free Agent market for sure. I much rather wait then make bad contract moves.

7. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

If we have to rebuild, why not trade Yao, and let TMac's contract expire?

Yao + Battier + Alston for Rose + Deng + Hughes + a young Big guy

Then we will have almost 40M money in 2010 to sign one or two big stars to play with Rose and Deng

8. JayZ750

Agreed. It is something to consider. But Hughes comes off the books at the right time, and Gordon, since as you mentioned isn't signed next year, you could just let walk, so essentially, you'd just be adding Hinrich's salary to your roster that summer, which leaves still leaves you plenty of room for a FA signing. And while I've definitely mentioned he is overpaid, you would have to sign some kind of PG at that point...need to at least have someone in the position. If Gordon plays well for you and is a fit, you sign him to a fair contract over the summer and still have room in 2010/11.

$28 million (current projection for that year) +$9 million (Hinrich) + $10 million (guess...Gordon) = $47 million - $2 million (let Hayes walk) = $45 million with Hinrich, Gordon, Battier, Ming, Brooks, Landry, Brooks and Dorsey (or you let him walk to free up another million). Salary cap should be at least $60 million. You can't sign a Lebron James at that point, but you could get another decent, Ben Gordon type player, then resign Scola and fill out the roster with the rest of the FA money.

Of course, if you decide you like Artest and sign him, also, over the off-season, then you run out of room.

in either case, i still don't understand the infatuation with waiting for an offseason 2 years away that may or may not get you what you need anyway.

#1188 JayZ750, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  9. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

T-Mac and Luther Head

for

Jermaine O'Neal and Anthony Parker

10. worzel gummidge

For 2010 free agency:
    <table><tr><td>Guaranteed
    Yao $17.7M
    Hinrich $9M
    Battier $7.4M</td><td>Team Option
    Landry $3M
    Hayes $2.3M
    Brooks $2M</td><td>Non-Guaranteed
    Dorsey $1M</td>
    <td>Cap Holds
    Scola $6.8M</td></tr></table>
    Total: $49.2M
    Projected 2010 salary cap: $64.6M URL

If those projected numbers are close then not picking up Hayes's team option would be enough for the Rockets to be part of the LeBron, Wade, etc sweepstakes.

11. Problem-Chyld

Problem-Chyld Member

Thats a good trade but Parker is really just a shooter though, we need someone who can score in the paint and outside so they can replace mcgrady. We need a player like jason richardson,thaddeus young etc. Since philly has dalembert on the block trade tmac and alston for dalembert,miller and young. Young replaces tmac in the long run i mean hes only 20 years old and already putting better numbers up than tmac did in his early years and is almost putting up the same numbers as tmac. Tmac is obviously a way better passer but we get miller in return anyway.

miller
    young
    artest
    dalembert
    yao

12. joesr

joesr Member

yao ming brings money in (marketing...)
    basketball is a business...

13. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Here is a trade that helps out all 3 struggling teams. I had to give the Rockets a bad contract (and to make it more believable) from Damon Jones to match up McGrady for Redd but it would be so worth it. We also get Hinrich in the deal though and Chicago gets some much needed veteran leadership from Rafer and a nice expiring contract from Villanueva and of course would get a nice PF in Landry. Milwaukee makes out really well in the deal since they not only get McGrady but also Gooden from Chicago and a small expiring contract from Ruffin which won't help them much but every little bit helps. This 3 way actually makes some since for both teams and strengthens the weak points on each team. Hopefully Morey or Les will check this one out. Just click the link below.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/featur...~2792&teams=4~4~15~15~10~15~10~10~4&te=&cash=

14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

If you could switch Damon Jones and Charlie Villanueva, I would do this deal.

15. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Its not what only Rockets will take but what the other teams will take as well. And we get two really good players and a deadbeat contract in Damon Jones. Chicago needs to get something decent in return thats why I gave them Villanueva, Landry, and Rafer. All sides have to get something they see as good for their organization or a deal will never be met. Its all just bull shat anyway since we have no leverage on any deals but this is a deal I think benefits everyone involved as stated before.

16. drich

drich Member

my question to you about this deal would be who will be the back up PF? bad deal unless you get us Gooden in return here i will fix it for you

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/featur...92~2792&teams=10~10~15~4~15~15~10~4&te=&cash=

17. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

Hayes will be our back up PF, and if Dorsey is showing improvement bring him back in. I threw Gooden to Milwaukee because they needed something to throw them over the edge just in case T-mac never comes back as what he used to be. I would have loved to put Gooden on the Rockets but I don't see us getting that lucky if a deal was ever struck. Hell I don't see Milwaukee being dumb enough to give up Redd either but we can all dream.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

http://www.realgm.com/src_tradechecker/4/

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +2.4 ppg, +9.4 rpg, and +0.1 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Marcus Camby 6-11 C from Massachusetts 12.0 ppg, 13.7 rpg, 2.3 apg in 34.8 minutes
    Baron Davis 6-3 PG from UCLA 16.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 7.8 apg in 36.0 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Rafer Alston 6-2 PG from Frenso State 11.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.9 apg in 33.7 minutes
    Tracy McGrady 6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS) 15.0 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 5.1 apg in 33.6 minutes

Toronto Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -0.6 ppg, -4.6 rpg, and +3.3 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Tracy McGrady 6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS) 15.0 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 5.1 apg in 33.6 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Jake Voskuhl 0-0 from 1.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.2 apg in 7.1 minutes
    Jermaine O'Neal 6-11 PF from Eau Claire (HS) 14.0 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.6 apg in 29.5 minutes

L.A. Clippers Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -1.8 ppg, -4.8 rpg, and -3.4 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Rafer Alston 6-2 PG from Frenso State 11.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 4.9 apg in 33.7 minutes
    Jake Voskuhl 0-0 from 1.6 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 0.2 apg in 7.1 minutes
    Jermaine O'Neal 6-11 PF from Eau Claire (HS) 14.0 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.6 apg in 29.5 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Marcus Camby 6-11 C from Massachusetts 12.0 ppg, 13.7 rpg, 2.3 apg in 34.8 minutes
    Baron Davis 6-3 PG from UCLA 16.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 7.8 apg in 36.0 minutes

19. joesr

joesr Member

thats toooooo much in our favour

20. GOAT

GOAT Member

for all who say it is not so....
    Hinrich is way better than Rafer....make the trade Morey