1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Waste of time. He won't get traded.

ApacheWarrior, saleem and JamalP. like this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You made me laugh.:)

ApacheWarrior and ROXTXIA like this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's what I'm here for. :p

ApacheWarrior and saleem like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL

D-rock likes this.
  5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Question: Are there any players out there we could trade Knight for that are rotation worthy AND we could do so without forfeiting any FRP’s?

The only name that really comes to mind for me is James Johnson. It’s merely speculation on my end, but between his contract and mediocre season, I’m willing to bet Miami would seriously consider a Knight/Johnson based swap without draft picks.

Thought? Any other names come to mind?

6. rockets13champs

Dion Waiters?

baller4life315 likes this.
  7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I had the same line of thinking last week about JJ but he’s actually not a really good player. If you look at his stats or watched any Miami games he’s not someone that could bring much more than our forwards right now when healthy.

Would he bring more than Knight? Yes but even if we don’t get rid of Knight this year he’s an expiring next year and we will have no problem trading him. Bringing on James Johnson has the potential of extending the Ryno problem we had to one more year.

D-rock and baller4life315 like this.
  8. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Can we throw all the picks we can plus Brandon Knight for Covington please? Please??

Im really not 100% into this proposed Bazemore trade thats keeps getting thrown out there. I feel like hes more of what we already have with a bit more defense (i see him more as a 2 than a 3).

bilaal14, ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  9. baller4life315

Very valid point on avoiding another Ryno type situation, and I’ll be the first to acknowledge: yeah, his numbers this year are pretty mediocre.

That said, two years ago (I realize a lot can change in two years) he was an elite role player. Defensively, 105 points given up per 100 possessions. That’s Draymond level. Better than LMAM’s 106 from last year. His +/-‘s were pretty good also.

It would be a bit of a gamble and he’s by no means #1 on my wishlist. I’m just trying to think of ways to upgrade the roster, cut the deadweight and not forfeit any FRP’s. Admittedly, he hasn’t stood out to me during any of the Heat games I’ve watched this year. We would be banking on a change of scenery giving him a boost.

10. baller4life315

Probably a good example of somebody we could realistically acquire, but a bad example of somebody we would ever want or consider rotation worthy.

I’ve never been a fan of his game, doesn’t play a position of need and comes off as a bit of a headcase.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Is JJ 100% healed from groin injury is more important factor.

Injured players are no help, learned that lesson with LMAM and CP3 in last postseason.

12. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y93ar5xb

Does this work? Sotta gets a wing player who should be able to help out Wiggans and fill the void left by RobCov while getting some extra wing help in Ennis (which they dont have). Atlanta takes on Knights contract while being able to shed Bayless' next year. Chuck a pick at each?

So we would send out 2 1sts, Knight and Ennis for Covington and Dedmon.. ‍♂️‍♂️‍♂️

Waseem likes this.
  13. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

we need a small forward starter and a backup center

saleem likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We need a starting forward, so best not to waste time seeing what we can get for Knight straight up. To compound the problem, I promise we are not taking on salary beyond this season.

So you need to be thinking about how we can get a starting forward on an expiring contract, and our options are even further limited to teams who want to take on future salary in exchange for an expiring contract.

Type of deals that are incredibly unlikely to happen:
    - Knight for Johnson: no way. If we don't dump $10m, we are in repeater tax next season, and Tilman won't pay it. The whole point of attaching a first to Knight is to get an expiring.
    - Knight for D Carroll: no way. The Nets want to be FA players and this eats $15m into their cap space for a first round pick in the 20's.

Which teams have starter-quality SF's on expiring deals AND would like to get a pick in the 20's for taking on Knight's soon-expiring deal?

Something has to give right? Well, the part we're going to compromise on is not the money, rather it's the quality of the player we're getting back. We need a starter and a backup. Most likely we get a backup quality forward and the team talks about how unexpectedly good this person is, like they did with Ennis.

seeingred and 1 other person like this.
  15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Another option is making PJ Tucker the small forward, and finding a capable PF that can play 25 minutes and start. I went on to BBall-Ref and sorted for players > 6-7, played F or C, and sorted through 3P%. Some potential candidates from teams who may trade them for the right $$:

24-23 SAC: Nemanja Bjelica, 6-10, 41.3% from three, 3 years, 20 mill
    19-28 MEM: JaMychal Green, 6-9, 39.3% from three, 1 year, 8 mill
    22-24 CHO: Marvin Williams, 6-9, 38.9% from three, 2 years, 29 million
    29-19 POR: Al-Farouq Aminu, 6-9, 35.5% from three, 1 year, 7 mill
    20-26 WAS: Jeff Green, 6-9, 35.4% from three, 1 year, 2 mill
    25-23 BRK: DeMarre Carroll, 6-8 34.5% from three, 1 year, 15 mil

James Ennis: 2 years, 3 mill
    Isaiah Hartenstein: 3 years, 3 mill
    Brandon Knight: 2 years, 30 mill
    Marquese Chriss: 1 year, 3 mill
    Nene Hilario: 2 years, 7 mill

ilias likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Lot of stuff in this Shams article. But this item on the Hawks

The Hawks have engaged with teams on veteran players Kent Bazemore and Dewayne Dedmon, but also have discussed forward Taurean Prince, league sources said. In his third season, Prince is averaging 14.1 points and 4.1 rebounds.

We know the Bazemore stuff. But how do we feel about Taurean Prince. A wing but also YOUNG. We have talked about Oubre in the past, but Prince is a similar player.

D-rock, Huncho Bean and Vivi like this.
  17. Vivi

Vivi Member

I didn't really follow Prince, looking at the numbers seems like the guy can score, somehow shoot...he's under rookie scale contract for one more season and he's 24 so, really cheap and still pretty young...i wonder how good his defense is and how he would look in a serious enviroment.

D-rock, mikol13 and Deuce like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If I am going to give up a FRP, I am certainly more willing to do it for 1) a player under team control and 2) is 24, that is for sure.

Corrosion, luckyman76, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Covington is only worth a late first and a good 2nd rounder at best. He plays well in the regular season, but he completely failed in last year's playoffs. He is a better fit than Bazemore, as you have pointed out.

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I have a feeling Prince is a player ATL would like to keep though.

I wouldn't be mad at Morey for sending a 1st and a 2nd (attached to Knight) for Green and Temple either

Capela/Nene/Faried
    Tucker/JayMichael/House?
    Temple/Clark/Ennis
    Harden/Gordon/Green
    CP3/Rivers

That's a team, when all healthy, to roll with

Corrosion and Huncho Bean like this.