1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random FYI 5 Prospect

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crossover, Oct 16, 2001.

1. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I was looking at Kim's post and all the possible pick-ups were pretty much "NO." Each player wasn't enough to bring the Rockets to a conference title contention level.

Who could we trade for with the exception... kandi man? rookies? Maybe... but outlook doesn't seem assured at all.

Then I saw Torres... and then remembered that lately Menk Batere was picked up by the Nuggets.

This is all just FYI.

There's one more guy in China named Yao Ming. He formed the "Great Wall" of China with Wang Zhi Zhi (on the Mavs... 7'1) and Batere (7'0). I've watched four seasons of the Chinese Basketball Association (different style like Euro b-ball... mean shooting, lackluster defense and boards, lotsa funky passes).

Wang Zhi Zhi is coincidentally on a team called the BaiYi Rockets and they've won the championship three or four years in a row now. (When the league started not so long ago, they gave the strongest team the name "Rockets" due to the HUGE popularity of Hakeem and the Rockets in China during their championship seasons.

Wang Zhi Zhi and his team (they won every year mainly due Wang Zhi Zhi and his array of offensive weapons... they got this one guy who reminds me of El Amin but taller) last year played Yao Ming and his team in the finals. During the regular season, Yao Ming's team was able to trounce the Rockets but not in the finals - the Rockets had too many weapons and Yao Ming couldn't come out too far to guard all the perimeter shots.

Anyhow, I know it doesn't convert to NBA standards, but Yao Ming sometimes gets over 10 blocks per game (I remember watching a game where he dominated a team with only inside game... final score was like 127-48 with 20 blocks) and he's listed as 7'5 or 7'6 - therefore he can put in the easy basket.

He can shoot freethrows like every single Chinese player (seems they all average 80% or above... must really work on it in the CBA) and he's got effort and determination. Yao Ming's kind of lanky and wirey but he's young at 19 or 20 years of age.

If Menk Batere has lately been able to come over to the US, it's possible China will loosen the restriction they had put on Yao Ming last year. Again, he's 7'5-7'6 and because of his frame, compared to Shawn Bradley.

Well, I can say like most of the people who have seen Yao Ming play, he's definitely better than Bradley. He doesn't have the NBA know-how or bulked body yet, but he's got less whine, moves around slightly better, mid-range shot, and well... he's just frickin tall!

In conclusion, hopefully the Rockets are considering Yao Ming - young, a true 5, and definitely will be cheap (less than 1 mill).

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think Yao Ming will declare for the draft if they let him go. I remember him being discussed as a top 5 pick. Then again, if the exception garuntees 3.25mil, isn't that more money than the rookie pay scale? I don't know. If this is the same dude everyone was high on last year, and there's a loophole to get him, I'd take him.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't he have to be acquired through the draft? Isn't that why everyone was saying if he declared for the draft this last season, he would be the number one pick? How does this work for foreign players? Can a player only be signed to a team like this if they declare for the draft, but are not picked by a team?

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He will be #1 or 2 in the draft. We cannot get him before hand. He is not an unknown prospect. Unless we pull off a Griffinesque miracle, we cannot get him draft night, either.

Raven,

Yes. Is this issue not covered at Metal Rules? I am shocked! :)

5. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Why were Zhi Zhi and Batere able to bypass the draft?

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Zhi Zhi was drafted by Dallas. Batere (more like 6'10" or 6'11") wasn't talented enough to merit a draft pick.

7. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

So they both declared for the draft then?

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I also heard there was an age restriction. If a foreign player is under a certain age, he has to declare for the draft. Ming Yao would be the number one pick since he is still growing and has handles.

9. DanL

DanL Member

From what I know every play ,foreign or American who is under 23 years old has to declare for the draft.
    after that age he can sign anywhere.

Dan Lederman

10. DanL

DanL Member

I meant a player after 23 is a FA

Dan Lederman

11. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Thanks Dan.

12. red

red Contributing Member

dan the man levatan...

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is one foreign based center that we could go after, Nate Huffman.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Let's tank this year to get more ping pong balls for the Yao Ming sweepstakes.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As sad as it may seem, but we have to go to war with the oft ininspired Cato, and the slower than Mo Tayor Collier. If we can get 20pts and 15rebs combined out of that position, then thats what we'll have to do.

16. enbehay

enbehay Member

Memphis would love that -- we owe them our first round pick unless we draw the #1 position.

There is one foreign based center that we could go after, Nate Huffman.

Saleem, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure he has already signed a binding contract with his Israeli team.

The back-up big man we find, IMO, likely will come from Chicago, Cleveland, Indiana or, gasp, Golden State. I hope we can find some help or else we are going to be vulnerable (to injury and foul trouble).