1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rand Paul doing work

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jopatmc, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

wrong thread

#61 Invisible Fan, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is pure red meat for the libertarian-oriented tea party far right fringe voters whose numbers get magnified in the GOP primaries that don't require people to actually vote. Rand will ride these guys just like his dad.

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

shots fired round 2!

<script height="360px" width="640px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=YydXRsazr0G2Tb1rhgGuQU6Bla_tcmiy&pbid=b171980b65ae4996bffea4da902c7846"></script>

4. SexyButIgnorant

Question! Is Rand anything like his father? Same principles, ideas? Because if he is, I'll keep my eyes on him. I voted for Ron Paul in my very first election, that man understands the US.

5. bucket

bucket Member

I never understood how Ron Paul could be so eloquent on national security and the state of US politics while being so embarrassingly clueless about the financial system.

6. Commodore

Rand understands you should only advocate policies you believe personally and also that the country could be ready to support.

I'm sure Rand believes we should legalize all drugs and abolish the minimum wage. But he doesn't advocate those policies because the country isn't with him in those beliefs.

He typically says "I'm for X" rather than "I believe X".

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Hey Commodore why won't Paul endorse his fellow senator from Kentucky, Mr. McConnell in his re-election?

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

In other words a typical politician. Conservative/libertarian for the money guys. A Christian/neoconfederate for the rest of the party.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I thought leaders led and paid no attention to polls.

10. Commodore

he has, sadly

Bevin is a superior candidate, but he hadn't declared when Paul endorsed McConnell.

You advocate an incremental change, and if the results are positive, that gives you credibility to push for other changes.

Why would a politician not pay attention to polling? Polls reflect the views/concerns of constituents.

If anything they aren't listening enough, focusing on low priority items with voters like amnesty, climate change, gays, etc.

11. Commodore

Rand Paul filing class action lawsuit against Obama and the NSA

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zbpfelhwis8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

to join the lawsuit go to

https://www.defendthe4th.com/

12. False

False Member

I don't understand why so many of your posts where you are presenting information or argumentation do not come in text form. It's a message board, not a video board. I guess call me old fashion. It's extremely hard to analyze exactly what claims people make in videos unless you take notes. Additionally video format allows for increased appeals to emotion which usually mean less persuasive arguments wrapped in more persuasive packaging. Can you try to provide a written transcript along with these videos if available?

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rand Paul is doing the work of attacking the Clinton's for things that were scandals in the 90's and didn't damage the Clintons at the time. He's not really rolling out any vision for the future.

14. Rashmon

He has shown us his future:

• he voted against reauthorizing the Violence Against Woman Act
    • he voted against the Paycheck Fairness Act

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Rand is just doing some typical politician work. He and his party have a lot of baggage wrt to women and the 99%.

I hope Rand wins the GOP nomination. Let's crush the anti-government loonies and beat them back for awhile. That portion of the one percent whose main goal in life is to pay no taxes will always keep funding their comebacks.

16. mc mark

OH MAN!!!!

:grin:

Rand Paul and Ken Cuccinelli accused of stealing NSA lawsuit

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has been caught using purloined passages in several of his speeches. Now the aspiring presidential candidate stands accused of filing a lawsuit stolen from its author.

Since December, the libertarian lawmaker, a tea party favorite, had been working with former Reagan administration lawyer Bruce Fein to draft a class-action suit seeking to have the National Security Agency’s surveillance of telephone data declared unconstitutional; the two men appeared together as early as last June to denounce the NSA’s activities.

But when Paul filed his suit at the U.S. District Court in Washington on Wednesday morning, Fein’s name had been replaced with that of Ken Cuccinelli, the failed Republican gubernatorial candidate in Virginia who until last month had been the state’s attorney general. [...]

Fein, who has not been paid for his legal work by Paul’s political action committee, was furious that he had been omitted from the filing he wrote.

17. Rashmon

Not a surprise that he needs to rely on plagiarism and subterfuge.

He has proven to be fairly lacking in intellectual depth and constitutional scholarship which has translated into poorly written and inept legislative proposals.

His biggest blunder may prove to be digging up the past to try and smear Hillary via Bill.

Google "aqua buddha"

18. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

Fact: There is no copyright on legal briefs or drafts and lawyers copy freely from other lawyers' documents permision or attribution. This is not plagarism.

Fact: A client who has paid owns their lawyer's work product

Fact: A client can discharge a lawyer at any time or decide client wants another lawyer to act as lead counsel. Any lawyer hired by the client has access to the prior lawyer's work product because the client owns the work product. .Doesn't anyone do fact checking at the News anymore?

Fact: Bruce Fein says he was paid for his work on Paul's lawsuit.

End of story.

MSNBC has printed a correction. The News should do so too. See http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/rand-paul-didnt-plagiarize-his-nsa-lawsuit

19. mc mark

Dana Milbank stands by his WaPo story. Says he has the emails to prove it.

E-mails back claim that Sen. Rand Paul ‘stole’ NSA lawsuit

Here is the first email Fein wrote, which he sent to Doug Stafford, Paul’s top political advisor.

On Feb 12, 2014, at 1:56 PM, “Bruce Fein” b*****@thelichfieldgroup.com wrote:

Dear Doug,

The protocols for preparing and filing the class action complaint today were hugely suboptimal.

My name was not on the complaint despite the fact that it was predominantly my work product over several weeks and two hundred hours of research, meetings, and drafting. Ken never showed me the final complaint before submission. My name could not be on the complaint under DC Bar Rules because I could not prepare a timely engagement letter. I was never informed until yesterday by Ken of the details of the collaborative arrangement between FreedomWorks and Rand for litigating and paying for the lawsuit. I promptly revised the engagement letter when the information was received, and it has been forwarded via Ken to Rand and FreedomWorks.

I did not learn of the date for filing except by inadvertence from Ken a few days ago.

I was not included in any briefing of Rand about the complaint before filing and press conference today despite the fact that I know vastly more about the Fourth Amendment issue and the history of NSA surveillance than anyone else on the team.

All of this has been especially distressing because I have been an impeccable team player from the outset. I did not ask for an upfront retainer. I did not publicize my role to the media. I heavily discounted my fees. I shared my work product freely with Ken. I responded to all of Ken’s inquiries with alacrity. And I have eagerly defended Rand in the past on Fourth Amendment issues in the media.

Yet I was excluded from key decision points leading up to the filing of the complaint and press conference as though I could not be trusted. I was not only excluded from meetings. I was never informed that they took place and what the decisions were.

My marginalization was thoroughly unfair. Going forward, I expect complete transparency and inclusion on all non-trivial decisions. My name will be on all future pleadings. Ken and I plan to meet shortly to discuss these matters.

My outstanding invoice for work indispensable to the lawsuit should be paid no later than Friday, February 14, an expectation which is completely justified in light of all the circumstances. Please alert me if the work description on the invoice needs alteration.

Thanks for your attention to these matters.

Bruce Fein

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Terrific post, B-Bob. A pity that you aren't here to further expound upon the father and son pseudo-libertarian tag team.