1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rand Goes to Howard

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Apr 10, 2013.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Somewhat funny account:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...h-else-in-awkward-howard-speech.php?ref=fpblg

2. rimrocker

Reading Rand's speech and there are some doozies in there:

http://reason.com/archives/2013/04/10/the-republican-party-and-the-african-ame/print

I was going to give him credit for going to Howard, but after reading all that, plus a long section on drug laws which seems to be what he thinks is an inroad to the youth vote--since, you know, all kids get high--I'm kind of gobsmacked by his thinking. It seems to me he is just oblivious to the world outside Rand and has this vision of how he will be perceived that is not informed by reality.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Pretty insulting stuff.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I tried to read his speech but it became clear early on that this was just a typical politician trying too hard to appeal to a certain voting group. Very disappointing.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'll state what should be obvious: He wasn't speaking to the attendees; he was speaking at them. They were props.

His real audience is fundraisers and Republican primary voters in 2016. Does anybody in their right mind think Rand Paul gives a care about black voters?

You'd think Republicans leaders would move past the Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglas stuff. Will they ever get over ancient history and come to the present?

6. rimrocker

Another account...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...217-11e2-82bc-511538ae90a4_story.html?hpid=z4

7. rimrocker

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is nothing a Republican could say or do that would win him the black vote in the upcoming election, or even get better than 5 to 10% of it. Trying to reinvent the wheel to win a segment of the population that is completely against you would be pointless.

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

It's a real problem for the GOP. There just doesn't seem to be any real effort to expand the brand.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

FWIW, I completely agree with the posters and these attendees who are mocking him/scoffing at him for the "We are the party of Lincoln" nonsense. It is one of the most disingenuous lines that exists in politics today.

I'm not sure which one I consider more intellectually dishonest. Republicans pretending they are still the party of Lincoln and civl rights or Democrats pretending like the ACA is reducing the cost of health insurance. :confused:

11. rimrocker

Wow. The answer to a question about voter suppression is over the top. Around the 27 minute mark in the video.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I disagree. They will make a concerted effort to attract Hispanic votes by 2016 (maybe Asians too). It's certain political death if they don't. The black vote means nothing to Republicans because they have given up. Rand Paul showed his true color(s) ;) here.

You won't see pathetic, insulting nonsense like this when they court Hispanics because the effort will be more sincere. I predict significant resources will be spent.

13. Nook

Nook Member

What a douche bag.

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

sorry, this made me laugh

15. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I hear that Don Young is spearheading their efforts.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Unfortunately, I don't think they viewed this as being insulting or pathetic. It's sad to see just how out of touch the Republican party actually is when it comes to sociological issues.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Rand went to Howard and lied about his positions, then tried to ignore the Republican party of the last 50 years.

It's funny that Rand Paul is supposedly the guy who is so centered on what he believes in that he won't budge. Yet he went to Howard and lied about his previously stated positions on the civil rights act.

The guy is a clown

#17 FranchiseBlade, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

fixed. I just pray his stupidity will do just enough to short-circuit his ambitions.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Republicans could easily get the black vote
    However . . . they have no clue about black people
    and the black people they know are just pain odd

Rocket River

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member