1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rams vs. Patriots

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Well it's going to be Rams vs. Patriots in the Super Bowl. The Patriots upset the Steelers and my Eagles couldn't quite pull it out in the final ticks. I have no excuses (like all the Bears fans) my team lost, fair and square. I was mad at McNabb though, it was like he was scared to scramble on the Rams. I mean he only ran like 5 times the whole damn game. Oh, well I hate any team who beats my Eagles so in the Super Bowl...GO PATRIOTS!!! :D

2. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Rams by 10

3. Major

Major Member

Should be interesting. St Louis should let loose, but the Patriots have amazing defensive pass schemes (see Peyton Manning's hell) so it'll be neat to see what they come up with for St Louis.

St Louis will probably be favored BIG, but I'm guessing its closer than that. Hopefully, Warner will be healthy as well.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This shouldn't be a blowout. Before the Pats hit their stride with this 8 game winning streak, the Pats played the Rams extremely close and lost 24-17. In fact, they may have won that game if Antowain Smith didn't fumble on the 1 yard line toward the end of the first half. If the Pats can move the ball offensively, they're going to have a chance.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Man, the Patriots can't catch a break when it comes to the Superbowl. First, an unstoppable Bears team, then an unstoppable Packers team, then an unstoppable Rams team

what's the early line?

6. Lil Pun

And they're 0-2 already in Super Bowls played in New Orleans. I'm hoping that the third time is the charm here. Go Patriots, do the unthinkable!!!

7. Band Geek Mobster

This is going to be a blood bath, I think I'll go chill out at the park or something instead of watch this "Super" Bowl.

The salary cap has ruined the game, not 1 Super Bowl team from the last 3 years could have beaten a Super Bowl team from 10 years ago.

This sucks...

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

The salary cap has brought about an era of parity instead of dynasties, and as a fan of football in general, I think that's a good thing. The lack of parity is what has doomed baseball to its status today.

On to the game...I think Bledsoe needs the start for the Pats to win this game. Brady can keep them close, but Bledsoe - assuming he's in shape - is the one to take them to the top. If he starts, I think the Pats win by around 4.

If Brady starts, the Rams will probably win by a similar margin. I don't think he has enough of the big game experience to overcome the Rams.

Warner and Faulk's health will be big factors, however.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Who's starting, Bledsoe or Brady? I think the slary cap has worked wonders for the nfl. Market size does not matter. Of course, Dallas in the early 90;s would whip either of these teams.

10. Band Geek Mobster

Well I prefer excellence over mediocrity. The salary cap has succeeded in creating 20+ mediocre teams that can win every sunday. If you guys prefer to watch bad football by 2 teams, and then see 1 of those average teams get crowned champion, then that's cool.

I think it sucks...

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I'm just happy that there will be a team in the Super Bowl that has never won it before. Now I can watch the game with some interest. I think it would be beautiful if the Patriots could win the game, but that will be a very tall order against the Rams indoors on artificial turf.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The salary cap the NFL works under is just too restrictive. You can have a fair system, with a salary cap, and still have good teams. See: the NBA. I hate the NFL's system.

13. Rocketts4eva

Rocketts4eva New Member

Rams all the way baby!!!!!

14. Lil Pun

What are you talking about??? The Rams have won a Super Bowl before, 2 years ago to be exact. :confused:

15. Major

Major Member

<B>The salary cap has brought about an era of parity instead of dynasties, and as a fan of football in general, I think that's a good thing. The lack of parity is what has doomed baseball to its status today. </B>

I agree that the opportunity for a team to become good is a GREAT thing for football. It's one reason the NFL is growing while all the other sports are kind of sputtering. You can't keep fan interest if your team takes 6-8 years to become decent.

On the other hand, the Rams are proving that you can still put together a dynasty in the current system. Sure, it's difficult, but it SHOULD be difficult. They have all the pieces on offense, defense, and special teams, and their core is all fairly young, and much of their team is signed long-term. There's no reason they should decline anytime soon. It's going to be up to other teams to get to their level.

16. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

This matchup reminds me of two other Super Bowls-

85 Bears v Patriots

Year? 49'rs v Chargers

I am taking the Rams by 21.

17. JJ

JJ Member

The line started at Rams -16

It has since moved down to -14 in most books.

18. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Rams 37, Patriots 14.

19. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

1995...Probably the most boring Superbowl ever played...

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm still curious where everyone is getting the blowout prediction from. The Pats and Rams have already played this season. It was a one touchdown ballgame, and the Pats probably would've won had it not been for a fumble on the Rams one yard line. The Pats have gotten better since that game, not worse. They've won eight in a row. Yes, this game is in a dome, but consider this: the Rams were 6-2 at home on the carpet this year. They were 8-0 on the road, where most games were played on grass. There's not a significant edge there, imho, at least not by wins and losses.

As a result, I'm jumping all over this line... I will be stunned if the Rams beat the 14 point spread.