1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rally to restore sanity (Stewart) / keep fear alive (Colbert)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Depressio, Sep 17, 2010.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

It's been a long time since i listened to O'Reilly. I could only stomach about 5 minutes of that - not because of the content per say*, but because his method for interviewing is absolutely aggravating.

*Don't get me wrong, O"Reilly's "I'll be vaguely inflammatory and ignore reasoned responses with impunity" schtick betrays his ignorant bias.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

<div><iframe src="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/video/video_3139.html?1285342967" width="465" height="395" noresize="noresize" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" style="border:0px;overflow: hidden;"></iframe></div>

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Colbert's appearance on the hill today was an embarrassment to all Americans. Whatever politician invited him should be ashamed/spanked.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

It was hilarious and a great idea, except what you say is absolutely true.

5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

6. Steve_Francis_rules

You're right. We need more politicians like Republican Duke Cunningham, who invited speakers like this guy:

[​IMG]

7. tallanvor

I was making it a Democrat/Republican issue. I have no idea who invited Colbert. Are you saying it was a Democrat? which one?

8. tallanvor

Sry, meant to say "wasn't"

9. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Congress only likes characters that don't make fun of them.

I doubt tallanvor finds Colbert funny and entertaining anyway since he is the demographic being made fun of.

#49 Depressio, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I find screaming things out while the President is speaking/addressing the nation like it's the audience of a WWE promo much more embarrassing to the nation.

2 people like this.
  11. Steve_Francis_rules

Representative Zoe Lofgren, Democrat of California, invited Colbert.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

Regardless of whether or not you were making it a Democrat/Republican issue, Stephen Colbert being asked to come and speak about the conditions being faced by undocumented farm laborers shortly after spending time with them for a taping for his show, is hardly the embarrassment you make it out to be.

I consider it to be less of an embarrassment than MLB players being brought before Congress to testify about steroid use in baseball. At least Colbert was talking about an important issue, even if he was joking throughout his testimony.

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Tina Fey, as Sarah Palin, should show up as key note speaker for Keep Fear Alive. That would be hillarious.

14. tallanvor

I agree that the steroids debacle was humiliating to watch. What I find embarrassing is a representative asking Colbert to come speak at hearing on farm jobs (I think thats what it was but am not sure). What an insult to farmers across the country. Colbert is less to blame, but still he should know better then to come tell jokes at an event that has real meaning to people's lives.

15. babyicedog

babyicedog Member

If the Congress representatives had any modicum of intelligence, they'd know exactly who Stephen Colbert is and be able to detect his sarcasm/serious presentation. Geez, I barely watch Colbert and even I picked up on it right away. Rather than acting like someone just stole their Baby Ruth bars, they should have thanked Mr. Colbert for bringing attention to this issue (I guarantee you it was probably one of the most-watched C-Span broadcasts, I haven't watched this in a LONG time and I watched it) while still stating their point. On the Democrats side, somewhat of a wasted opportunity. Someone should have pointed out that humor can be an effective tool to bring a different perspective to a situation and then provided their defense of Colbert's intended point.

The main problem I see is that many humorless people simply didn't get it- they probably thought he was being honest when he said:

"But this is America. I don't want a tomato picked by a Mexican. I want it picked by an American, then sliced by a Guatemalan, and served by a Venezuelan in a spa where a Chilean gives me a Brazilian."

Some people need to lighten up a bit, methinks.

16. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Very funny...

17. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

How do you know that it was an "embarrassment to all Americans" if you didn't watch it? He mentioned who invited him in his fourth of fifth sentence.

Anyway, finally back from work so I got a chance to watch it. It was Colbert as usual. His general point was nothing new, however: no one wants to pick beans by hand.

18. tallanvor

Why would our representatives invite Colbert, a comedian, to talk about farm jobs and immigration? Also why would you let him stay once you realize is not taking it seriously? You don't need to watch this to know it's a waste of tax dollars.

19. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

I saw the video and I don't think anyone was laughing. He should have turned down the invitation or chose another venue.

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

And no one wants to be a corn packer. Well, I guess some people do, but that's a whole different subject.