1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Raiders sign Antonio Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right around the time they hired BOB, before they hired RAC, I heard him say a couple of times that he could play in any defense, but didn't want to play in an old school. 2 gap 3-4.

I know he publicly said he wanted to come back, but given all the visits he scheduled, I wonder if he wasn't wanting to find a scheme he would like more.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's possible, they'll probably have one DE one gapping and one DE two gapping on most downs. JJ Watt will almost certainly be the one gap guy leaving the other guy to two gap. Honestly, Antonio Smith wasn't all that useful most of the time in a one gap system, he'd be completely invisible ALL the time if he was in a 2 gap scheme. I wish him the best, but I'm not sad he's gone.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

If they do I'll be incognito as a fan. That guy is a head case.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Damn. Going to miss his antics.

Going to miss the cowboy hat and accent in the post games...

All the big characters on the team are disappearing. ..

Cody, Barwin, Smith...

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yea you turn over a giant rock there's gonna be a bunch of little roaches scurrying around. Let's hope this house gets cleaned soon.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Expected. He's not a typical 3-4 DE. He's really more of a 4-3 End but did OK in Wade's D. Oakland runs a 4-3. I'll miss him but from a football standpoint, we'll be better off if we find somebody more suited for Romeo's D.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Great. Just tank another year. Build a roster with a two draft head start and no free agent baggage.

Dump Schaub so all of his money is gone by fall of 2015.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Told yall its gonna be rough...wait till next offseason...

Smith is a nice player and wish him the best, but its clear that the Texans dont see a use for him in this system. Players on this team that are on contract years are gonna play hard, but dont be shocked if the Texans repeat as one of the bad team in the NFL..not 2-14 bad..but bad enough to garner a top ten pick.

BTW...more reason to believe that the Texans are gonna draft Clowney first overall and draft a NT in the draft...Use Clowney as a OLB, and put him on the same side with JJ Watt(DT), draft a NT in the 3 or 4th, use Crick as the other DTackle, with Mercilus as the cover OLB. They are surely moving Reed inside along side Cushing.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>According to <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26">@MarkBermanFox26</a>, Antonio Smith said he got the feeling the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Texans&amp;src=hash">#Texans</a> wanted to make him a 3rd down rusher coming off the bench.</p>&mdash; James Palmer (@JPalmerCSN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JPalmerCSN/statuses/444685016397021184">March 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Antonio was a top rates 3-4 end.....

I couldn't disagree more about him being a 4-3 guy.

11. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

If that's true then Rick Smith needs to be fired pronto..

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You really think that's Rick's call? Lol. Welcome to Romeo's world.

13. Cannonball

He was in end in Wade's atypical one gap 3-4. He picked up sacks in Wade's 3-4 because Wade asks his DE's to rush the QB but Romeo typically asks his to occupy blockers so the LB's can get to the QB easier. If he stayed, he'd be asked to play a role he's NEVER played before. At least Watt was a true 5 technique DE at Wisconsin. Antonio has never been a 2 Gap 3-4 DE. He was a 4-3 DE at Oklahoma State. He was a 4-3 DE in Arizona. He was a 4-3 DE his first 2 years here. He left us to go to a team that runs a 4-3. He's a 4-3 DE.

Playing 3 years in a non traditional 3-4 doesn't really make him a real 3-4 DE . Earl Mitchell played NT because Wade didn't need to use standard 3-4 type players, but we all know he isn't a real 3-4 NT.

1 person likes this.
  14. mario_v

mario_v Member

Rick smith needs to be fired. This is the third year in a row where we lose players to free agency that we do not replace.

15. Cannonball

It makes sense. He's a 4-3 DE. His job his entire playing career has been to get to the QB. In Romeo's defense, he'd be asked to primarily occupy OLinemen. That's not the type of player he is. So they're probably looking for someone who knows how to fill that roll to play opposite Watt. When they would want somebody like Antonio is when they're in 3rd down passing situations in a 4 man front.

Antonio doesn't fit this D. He'd be a situational pass rusher in Romeo's D. Of course, he's better than being a 3rd down guy. It'd be unfair to him to try use him in that matter. So they let him walk and go to a 4-3 team where he can play like he's used to.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Who have we lost this year that matters? An over the hill DE and an over the hill TE? What else?

17. Cannonball

You haven't even given them a chance replace him yet.

Of course, knowing people on this board, you're all going to get pissed at whoever replaces him because it's going to be a guy who has 2 sacks last year even though that's typical and expected out of a 2 gap DE.

And if you think this is Rick Smith's call, you're an idiot. New HC. New DC. New defensive scheme. But Rick Smith who takes sole blame for the decision. I'm 99% sure Romeo looked at Antonio, knew he wasn't a fit for his system, and made the decision to let him walk.

PS - Damn y'all for making me defend Rick Smith on this.

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Damn that makes it sound like Clowney will go #1

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps 3?

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tank for Winston.