1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafael Palmeiro suspended 10 games

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by The Real Shady, Aug 1, 2005.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

If Raffy gets in the hall then Pete Rose should get in.

2. Major

Major Member

ESPN poll of 100 HoF voters.

Should Raffy get in?

Before Monday:

Yes - 84
    No - 3
    Undecided - 13

After monday

Yes - 16
    No - 28
    Undecide - 56

3. PhiSlammaJamma

6 of 8 born outside u.s. and 7 of 8 with an ethnic name. Interesting.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Steroids have had much more of an impact than those other things. You can see how the stats were ridiculous for steroid users in the '90s. You don't see guys going for 70 homers anymore. Corking bats and scuffing balls is also cheating, but didn't affect the game as much.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Source: Palmeiro tested positive for stanozolol
    ESPN.com news services
    Related Video:
    Baseball Tonight covers the possibilities ESPN Motion

Rafael Palmeiro tested positive for the potent anabolic steroid stanozolol, the same substance Olympic sprinter Ben Johnson of Canada took in 1988, The New York Times reported on its Web site Tuesday night.

Johnson was stripped of a gold medal in 1988 after testing positive for that steroid.

According to a source with direct knowledge of baseball's drug-testing program, stanozolol, known by its brand name, Winstrol, was detected in the Baltimore Orioles first baseman.

"It's a mildly strong to strong steroid," Dr. Gary Wadler, a professor at New York University and an expert in sports doping, told the newspaper. "Potent is the word I would use."

On Monday, the 40-year-old Palmeiro was suspended for 10 days under the toughened major-league policy that took effect in March. Tuesday, Seattle Mariners pitcher Ryan Franklin was the eighth major-leaguer to be suspended for a positive test.

Palmeiro's suspension came five months after the player appeared before a congressional panel to dramatically deny he had ever used steroids.

While he didn't deny testing positive for the drugs, Palmeiro insisted Monday that ingesting them was an accident.

"When I testified in front of Congress, I know that I was testifying under oath and I told the truth," he said during a telephone conference call. "Today I am telling the truth again that I did not do this intentionally or knowingly."

Without giving specifics, the four-time All-Star left the impression that the banned substance was contained in a supplement that was not prescribed. He said it was an "embarrassing situation" and still did not know what caused the positive test.

"Why would I do this in a year when I went in front of Congress and I testified and I told the truth?" he said. "Why would I do this during a season where I was going to get to 3,000 hits? It just makes no sense. … I'm not a crazy person."

On July 15, Palmeiro joined Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players with 3,000 hits and 500 homers.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

link

okay, i don't know much about steroids but if something that is considered 'mildly strong to strong' and/or 'potent' is found within your system ain't that a telltale sign that you know what you were using? but.....

"Today I am telling the truth again that I did not do this intentionally or knowingly."

Maybe he didn't intentionally or knowingly know it was 'strong' or 'potent'? :rolleyes: and why are you taking supplements that are prescribed? Okay, if it's something from GNC or whatever I can see why but why would you do something like that NOW?

"Why would I do this in a year when I went in front of Congress and I testified and I told the truth?" he said. "Why would I do this during a season where I was going to get to 3,000 hits? It just makes no sense. … I'm not a crazy person."

Yea you're not crazy, just REALLY REALLY dumb.

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The two cases aren't linked.

Unless there's a lifetime suspension for 'roiding up, Raffy won't get in because people question how long he was cheating.

Pete Rose violated a very old rule that resulted in lifetime suspension. Whether or not Palmeiro gets in has nothing to do with Rose deserving his ban.

Also - since Raffy got caught, how will this affect the reputations of name players who don't test positive?

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

tell that to NL West hitters in 1986.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Is that all you've got left? Whatever he may have done to the ball didn't show up upon examination by the umps.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Oh snap. Will Clark and former college teammate, laughing, "You got caught pardner." went on to say he knows what kind of person Palmeiro can be and that they have had their conflicts before.

10. Mr. Clutch

I don't remember a bunch of guys going for 70 bombs those days.

11. Mr. Clutch

I like how you call it "enhancing your performance." It doesn't matter which is worse, cheating or gambling. They are both bad for the game and I would have no problem with Palmeiro, who has never been considered one of the best of his era, being left out of the hall.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You know something's off when a guy who wasn't one of the best is able to put up career numbers like that. The Steroid Era in a nutshell. Mike Schmidt would probably have 700+ easily had he played under the same conditions, yet he's got less HRs than this juicing fraud.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

with or without steroids, you can do this with anyone. imagine roger clemens back when the mound was higher for bob gibson. imagine pedro martinez pitching in the dead-ball era. imagine if thurmon munson didn't play half his games at yankee stadium. and on and on.

and again...we have no idea the impact "juicing" has had on palmerio's career. no idea whatsoever how it affected his performance...no idea if it contributed to even one of the 500+ homeruns he hit.

and we have no idea that mike schmidt wasn't juicing...relative to what that meant at the time. we have no idea if he wasn't playing on "upper" every night.