1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racist Chinese Laundry Detergent Commercial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 27, 2016.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Disagree. This is definitely the fault of the commercial actor.

2. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

it's not an excuse. it's a legitimate reason. obviously the more racially diverse you get, the less racist you become. and i'm not sure you'll ever get rid of racism. it's just a fact china is nowhere near as racially diverse as the USA. so why do you expect Chinese to have the same progress in terms of racial tolerance.

it's for the Chinese people to decide if they want to stay as single-race country. there're pros and cons obviously. i'm personally undecided. and as for china being marginalized historically, i'm not sure how that has anything to with race. when the west overtook china as world powers last time, it wasn't because china didn't have black slaves.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's more informed by the era in which it was presented, but still a joke regardless of the cultural context.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

they also eat a lot of different critters and animals in Guangzhou and south of it.

people are different in the same country

black people like everyone got personality and should not be objectified

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, so you are saying you have nothing wrong with it?

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You posted the picture as a non-verbal response to my assertion that the Chinese commercial was similar to Chappelle Show skits in that they were extracting humor from ideas and concepts about race. The same could be said about the cartoon you posted; but coming from an era with more societal and statutory suppression of blacks, it could be more reasonably inferred as racist. But just because there are one or two things "wrong" with an ad doesn't mean everything is.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I guess I am just asking if you have issues with the ad given its cultural context. It's not a judgement, it's a question.

It seems that you are saying that no advertising that plays on stereotypes is racist, is that correct? Let's say there is an ad with black people jumping around as apes and a white person as the zoo keeper - would that be racist or just politically incorrect? Where is the line for you?

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm saying it's neither the purpose nor function of product advertising in a creative medium to affirm or rebut social views. You are drawing in more and more examples that veer further and further away from the original works. I don't filter my creative media choices through some inverted Hayes Code, so there are no lines of which to speak.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Interesting take. I think most of my colleagues (I work in advertising) would disagree with you and believe that advertising does in fact confirm and sometimes influence social norms, and occasionally rebuts them - in fact the best advertising (including product advertising) often does.

It might not be the purpose of the brand to do that (it's to sell the product) but the people who create the ads are injecting their own cultural views - not always deliberately, but often.

10. conquistador#11

they probably didn't think it was racist at all, as they don't experience racism due to color in asia. But had it been a Taiwanese commercial and chinese guy was inserted into the washing machine to come out Taiwanese, China would be all up in arms.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You are clearly offended by this ad from another country half way around the globe. Why do you get to be the social justice warrior who gets to define what is appropriate and what isn't?

Should we stop showing pork ads so we dont offended muslims in the middle east? It gets frightening when you really think about some peoples mindset.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

2 Wongs don't make a White. Makes another Yellow.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

So PC Bro's, is this ad racist?? Should we invade Italy too?

I suspect FranchiseBlade will find absolutely nothing wrong with this video. Ironically enough, this was 7 years ago. Nobody had an issue with this back then. The hypocrisy never ends.

nevermind. I didnt realize this had already been posted.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PjuamNkZ5YQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#133 Space Ghost, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

This. Heck the Asians making those discrimination claims in America would probably be violated by the Asians making those ADs.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty sure everyone has said they are both racist.

I don't know why people have to bring up a past example to try and prove it is less racist. You can't control how people will react, so why even discuss it?

If they are the PC police then you are the "Reaction" police, worried about how people react to this or that.

The Chinese commercial plays on a very old idea that dark skin is undesirable (something that is true for most of the world). So old that an old soap company also thought of basically the same thing.

Do you look at the below ad and think "That's just humor and not racist haha!"

[​IMG]

16. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I thought in the Hispanic Community 'Maiyate' was the equivalent of the 'N' word. I watched an entire movie hearing the term 'Pinche Maiyate'.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Oh but it goes to both ways bro.. I've heard to Asians refer to whites as having too much of a 'corpse' like complexion. 'Why would you want to date a dead looking person'. Or whites being zombified or pig-skinned...

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Race is a complex social issue, very complex.

What another poster said is absolutely true, if one guy was Taiwanese and another Chinese then it would be a much larger issue in China I bet and here...well...it wouldn't be a story at all since we both simply define Chinese and Taiwanese people as Asian and be done with it. Wrong or right, that's how we do it here. Race is perceived differently in every country pretty much.

So of course an African-American sees this and it offends them. So what? Why does that matter to conservative bro? I see all these strawmen "Why not start a riot about the Italian Commercial? Why march to Washington about this?" umm...is that happening?

People are discussing the commercial. Which I know for some people to even have a discussion about race is racist in itself (lol) but that's all that's happening here.

I think the commercial is harmful because it contributes to what has been a global trend for a long time that the darker you are the more undesirable you are. The Italian commercial is bad because it makes dark skin a fetish. (Which I'd argue isn't racist at all, people have their likes after all) Either way it's not a big deal, but it deserves discussion I guess. I mean people will go on and on about how the next Xbox is better than the next Playstation but this isn't worthy of discussion on an internet forum?

We have pages worth of stuff of silly player comparisons of Dragic vs Lowry, the worth of Jeremy Lin, is Harden a superstar or fraud...but this just is not worthy of a discussion on an internet forum? Come on now...

Besides, I don't think it's very good humor at all.

Can you make racists jokes and be funny? Of course you can, Chappelle does it all the time, along with many other great comedians. South Park does it as well. But the core of this joke is "He doesn't have dark skin any more, much better right? Haha!" also a good rule of it is if you are talking about yourself then it is funny. At least with the Italian ad it is created by white people making fun of white people, so maybe even in Italy there was some humor to be had there I don't know. I know black comedians make fun of black people all the time.

Either way it is still racist and either way it can be discussed.

But really did the OP ask to invade China? For a riot? For the company to apologize? He's saying "Hey, lets discuss this commercial." and puts it in the D&D, a forum for discussion.

Yeah but light skin is still favored and their brand of racism has little to do with how we see race. I think that's hard for Americans to understand since for us we are so set in how we define races. White, Hispanic, Black, Asian and for a lot of Americans we think the world is defined by what we do.

I heard from a black girl that she really didn't get racism in Italy since she was from America...but black people from Africa were treated differently.

I was watching a random Youtube video of Korean guys reacting to American stars and one of them was Beyonce and this guy thought she was someone with a tan and another guy didn't like Jennifer Lawrence because she had freckles on her chest.

But the one thing that is somewhat a global constant is that the lighter you are the more attractive/desirable you are. This is even true for black communities. So it's this kind of odd thing really.

1 person likes this.
  19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

When I was a child, not yet old enough to attend school, a Chinese woman would come to our house and take care of me during the day. She would sometimes eat a canned jelly, but never gave any to me.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe nobody's picked up on how SEXIST this commercial is. I mean, the guy whistles at her, he stares at her boobs, she's the one doing the laundry . . . disgusting. :mad: