1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Racism] African Americans in Restaurants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SirCharlesFan, Jun 22, 2007.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Here is the complete study. It's 24 pages. You have to register.

http://www.hotelschool.cornell.edu/..._path_info=chr/research/lynntippingtopost.pdf

It was done by this guy:

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/wml3/

William Michael Lynn is a nationally recognized expert on tipping who has written over 25 publications on this topic. His work on tipping has been covered by ABC’s 20/20, BET’s Nightly News, and NPR’s Morning Edition, as well as by the Economist, Forbes, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, and numerous other newspapers and radio programs around the world.

A former bartender, busboy, and waiter, Mike received his Ph.D. in Social Psychology from the Ohio State University in 1987 and has taught in the marketing departments of business and hospitality schools since 1988. He is currently an associate professor of consumer behavior and marketing at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration. He has a wife, two children, and three dogs. For more information about Mike and/or tipping, click one of the links below.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that proves you can get a job doing anything..."expert on tipping"

3. MR. MEOWGI

How about disputing the facts? If it is proven that blacks tip less than whites, and it is proven that they are more likely to stiff, then you might not be as enthusiastic trying to get money from them.

I understand that there a complex reasons why this is true. The are deep CULTURAL explanations. It isn't inherent to a race. But the bottom line is that they don't matter to a waiter who is just trying to get paid.

4. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

I was in a bus yesterday on my way home to a park n ride and there was this angry woman, who was on the phone, very loud, using the f-word, and was obviously talking to sombody saying that she was racially discrimnated at work by somebody.

And the lady sitting in front of her told her that she could handle her loud voice but her bad breath was killing her.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

So you're ok with every Arab not being allowed to travel by air again?

Every mosque being planted with FBI bugs?

Every black baby's DNA sample taken as soon as it's born?

racial profiling is racial profiling.

6. MR. MEOWGI

Ok, your post just went off the deep end.

Yes. I am advocating not waiting on black people, period. They shall get no food.

My point is that it is human nature not to be as enthusiastic about trying to make money of a certain group of people who are proven to be not as likely to give it up.

If you want to call that profiling, whatever.

BTW, I had a friend who used to have to wait on a large group of white Pentecostals every Sunday at the place he worked. They believed tipping is a form of prostitution. He got stiffed from them every time. Let me just say that they might have ate some things that weren't on the menu.

7. hotballa

What if the guy doing the profiling is a cop and he's not so eager to respond to a problem in a black area?

Or if it's a fire truck company who isn't as eager to go into a black neighborhood?

8. MR. MEOWGI

What if it isn't.

9. hotballa

I asked a direct question. if you don't want to answer it, then just say so.

10. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

guys, waiting is not a free serivce. you have to pay in a form of tips. if you think you're not going to get paid, why would you wait on them. of course if a restuarant give a minimum wage, it's a diffrent story.

11. MR. MEOWGI

I don't. It's not the issue.

12. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

don't force it man, hotballa is thinking black and white today.

13. hotballa

your point is about people who are less than enthusiastic about servicing blacks.

policemen and firemen have an obligation to service the black community as well.

14. hotballa

Sorry if I think it's silly to presume every black person that goes to a restaurant won't tip well.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not every person, but that a fair % ;)

i never even heard, or thought, about the different amounts people tip based on race...other than jewish jokes.

16. MR. MEOWGI

If you think that they are less likely to tip well, which facts and experience back up, then it isn't silly to be less enthusiastic about trying to get a good tip. It's that simple.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What exactly are you saying MR MEOWGI?

Are you saying blacks deserve less of a service because it has been proven that they do not tip well? Are you saying this practice is right?

18. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Back when I was waiting tables. I was getting paid $2.15 an hour. This was at a I-HOP the place was packed in the morning and for the late night crowds on the weekand.

So everybody had pleanty of tables. I naturally focused on large tables first I think every waiter does that.

After that you gotta feel your tables out. If of a table of 4 all ordered water and obviously been drinking or what not. And basically looked like complete trash and should not be out in public frankly I wasnt going to concentrate on them.

I never used race to determine what tables I'm going to go all out for... You simply got to feel for your tips. # of people, what are they dressed like, been drinking, friendly etc etcetc

Everybody should tip granted they recieve good service/good food. If you dont want to tip simply order something to go almost every restaurant will do that for you.

19. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This is how it has always been approached where I worked with waiters and with my friends who are waiters now. They always want the "big tops" because of the mandatory percentage restaurants charge for large parties. Then if they have regular customers who they know will tip good they concentrate on them and then feel the rest of their tables out but sometimes even that can be surprising.

20. hotballa

and the black people who do tip well, what should they do? tip poorly as a result o the poor service they get because people assume they won't tip well?