1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Racism] African Americans in Restaurants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SirCharlesFan, Jun 22, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

That does sound a bit like racial profiling doesn't it?

When I worked in the industry, it seemed to me that blacks tipped as much as other races. I think it depends on your comfort level around a certain race. If you're not comfortable around blacks, then anything bad they do would probably rasonate with you more. Whereas if you were comfortable around Asian people or saw more of them, you might just conclude they were just jerks for leaving a bad tip instead of an Asian jerk.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Big deal if studies show that. You shouldn't automatically judge based on color, it's simple.

3. hotballa

but if you act on that statement and presume it to apply to every black who steps in a restaurant, isn't that racist?

4. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I once saw a white guy dance really swell.

5. MR. MEOWGI

No, that is stereotyping.

6. hotballa

racial stereotype =/= racism ?

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yes. Just like if you said "Women cannot do _________, only a man can." then that would be stereotyping but it would also be sexist.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who did these studies?

Rocket River

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

racist just has such a negative tone even though it may be technically correct (i dont know if it is) the negotive connotation complicates the issue.

racial is better but it still has a hint of the negative connotation.

stereotyping...possible. But also a word with negative implications.

even though it may be a proven fact (that they tip worse) and one acts on it, is there a word that doesnt carry a negative vibe?

For example, its a proven fact that, typically, most US convenient stores sell coca cola so i go into a convenient store with the expectations that they will have coke.

A waiter goes to a table of whites b/c its a proven fact (again, im assuming for argument sake) that whites typically tip better.

i would tend to not think stereotyping is racism.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i guess theres no real point there...im just trying to sort it all out. sorry

11. MR. MEOWGI

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1329241

Morning Edition, July 11, 2003 · A new study finds many waiters and waitresses feel that black Americans generally tip less than restaurant diners who are white. The study, by a researcher at Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration, found that blacks tip on average 20 percent less than whites. In addition, restaurant workers of all races dislike waiting on black people because they assume the tips will be less no matter how good the service. NPR's Juan Williams reports.

Here is a cool discussion on allhiphop.com about tipping
    http://allhiphop.com/forums/1/18168572/ShowThread.aspx

When I waited tables I went out of my way to give everyone the same service. But I also found that the stereotyping was kind of valid. But I don't believe in any sort of inherit superior race theory. That is racism. This is about money.

12. hotballa

The article says a lot of the stuff that I have already said.

Sorry but I don't see the difference between "blacks don't tip well, so I will give every black customer substandard service" and "a high percentage of blacks are in jail so I will stp every car with a black person in it to make sure they're up to something"

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just another of many reasons why tipping sucks and the why the whole tipping system should be done away with.

14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

getting tips as a driver blows nowdays too. I go like 15 miles in rush hour and get there in like 10 mins, then the b*stard steals my pen when they sign the credit card receipt.

15. MR. MEOWGI

I like to tip.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

not to play the semantics game but this isn't a study. a study would actually go into restaurants and see how much black patrons tip. the people surveyed might be accurate, or they might just have been told that black people don't tip all the time, and anytime it happens it validates their opinion.

17. MR. MEOWGI

Try being stiffed a few times after busting your ass and you might see differently. Waiters do not come up with these ideas before they take the job. It is based on experience.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

everyone "knows" black people don't tip.

19. hotballa

All the tiems I've been mugged, it's been by black people, but I don't think they're all criminals, nor do I look around for a cop everytime I see a black guy.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The same is true of cops and racial profiling.