1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Racial Hysteria Triumphs on Campus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 10, 2015.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The Obama administration will not pursue hate charges against perpetrators attacking white people, obviously because they are racists. So get back with me when we have some statistics on this that are not substantially discredited because of their own bigoted and racist biases.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

um, wait, are you saying the FBI was lenient on the 22% of racial hate crimes that were motivated by anti-white bias, or that an agency known for disproportionately harassing minority activists including MLK has suddenly become OBAMAED, because white people are not his constituents (whatever that means).

keep on talking dude. Your utter refusal to turn to the facts in the face of systematic racism is hilarious. You are the definition of the ostrich you think others are.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

btw, when George W. Bush ran the country (cause that's what you need for "unbiased" stats, a white man running the country), the ratio was even worse.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2007

really revealing your ugly implicit thoughts there MOJOMANG

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I am guessing as Cruz's chances to be president become less and less that mojoman will go crazier and crazier with posts like this...

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think Cruz's chances are going UP as more of the establishment desperately lines up behind him. Still make Mojo go more crazy though. We will see.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're responding to B-Bob here, but I suppose it addresses my concern as well. I understand political correctness to be a sort of common understanding of the widely-shared values and ideals of our society that has been shoe-horned into a sort of code or short-cut to inform socially acceptable and unacceptable opinions. For example, a widely shared value is that all people are equal in value regardless of the color of their skin. We go on from there to codify that value in rules for polite society (known as political correctness) like 'it's wrong to use disparaging names for black people' or 'it's wrong to suggest that white people have a genetic superiority to people of other races.' Then when people transgress on that code, others feel entitled to rebuke them for not espousing our widely-shared values even if the transgression of the code is not a transgression on the underlying values.

That's how I think about political correctness. Its a social phenomenon that has perhaps not altogether good outcomes, but probably developed as a result of evolutionary optimization that does ultimately serve the perpetuation of the species. Given that man is a social animal, the rebuke for nonconformity can be quite powerful and can leave the objects of rebuke with feelings of rejection and exclusion, and incentivizes people to conform to avoid rebukes. On the flipside, I think there are a number of mitigating factors:

(1) Political correctness is relative and differs from society to society and subculture to subculture. It, in fact, reinforces subculture identity. So, if I say something off-color at school, I can go say the same thing at church and find affirmation, or vice versa. I can be rejected by my bbs friends, but be embraced at a Trump rally, and vice versa.

(2) Some elements of the political correctness code are widely endorsed, but others have less support, and therefore less social power. Racial equality is widely endorsed, for example, which greatly limits where you can say racist things and find agreement. On the frontier, something like respect for the self-identification of gender is endorsed by some but not as widely. So you may be rebuked for opposing a 'bathroom ordinance' (like what I did in that thread) but the rebuke doesn't hold much power so you can argue back and find allies. A lot of your college stuff seems to fall in these two categories of subculture codes one can easily escape or frontier interpretations of code that can be easily resisted.

(3) Political correctness applies social pressure, but it doesn't make you do or say or believe anything, especially in the USA where your freedom of speech is guaranteed. I can come here and say black people are inferior. Most people will villainize and reject me, but nobody can make me believe otherwise or make me stop espousing my belief (except Clutch asserting his own rights to boot me off his boards).

Now, this thread brings up one other spectre of political correctness, which is conformists applying economic pressure to force institutions to enforce their interpretation of a political correctness code. I think the strategy is self-limiting but in any case perfectly fine. Why shouldn't a customer vote with his pocketbook? If it succeeds, it can create an insular ideological environment that will be rejected by the wider market and limit its own aggrandizement (I think you can see Christian colleges, historically-black colleges, and Texas A&M (which is doing alright for itself) already trapped in this dynamic). More likely though the economic pressure will subside and the institutions can get on with business as usual (spending too much on physical plant and ignoring sexual assaults). And, if it's wildly successful -- like a wave of political correctness that finds legitimacy in the mainstream -- then what's the problem? That will be the values that define what it means to be an American.

So, I do think political correctness exists. I don't say it's trivial; I'd say it's powerful. But, I'd say it's nothing new, not leftist, and endemic and essential to the functioning of human society. That's what gives me the feeling that you think of political correctness in a very different light.

(If you haven't noticed by now, there's not a lot of work to do in the office today.)

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I largely agree with JV, (again), but have some differences and really risk feeding the far right a bit.

Does PC exist? Definitely. Is is a "problem," in general. It can be annoying, but I don't think anyone's rights or safety or livelihood are really being endangered by PC.

Is it more liberal than conservative? Oh, most definitely. And campuses and academics do mostly lean liberal and this is where a lot of the lingo, identity, and passion starts, IMHO. I definitely see it, year to year. I see certain groups own certain issues and develop extra chips on their shoulders. (e.g. the whole cultural "appropriation" thing that can now insult people it used to flatter, etc.). But I don't think the phenomenon is new, (even though new words spit out from it here and there), and I don't think it can take over the greater culture in some negative way that's worth fearing.

To me, the hysteria surrounding "racial hysteria on campus" is just more stress and fear on the part of older white people who see the long-time power structure changing. I'm not saying YOU necessarily, Mojoman. I don't know your race or care really. But in general, the fear of PC culture comes more from older white people, in my experience. The good in the long term end outweighs the bad. For example, are we really going to miss using the N-word or "***" in a derogatory fashion? I hope not.

The times are changing, and everyone is a little more culturally stressed now than they were 20 years ago. It is not unlike the 60's in that respect, I would guess, but I wasn't really alive then. Overall, we have much bigger fish to fry than worrying about PC people and their disaggregated (not organized) agendas.

IMHO, we need to worry about a post-industrial economic model that can work for more people. We need to worry about how to educate more people in a way that helps them elevate themselves within the system. If we would fret more about that on college campuses, that would be excellent.

#447 B-Bob, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It should be noted that political correctness isn't about limiting racist or discriminatory speech.

Political correctness is about using language that is more sensitive to disadvantaged groups. I find it a totally useless way of addressing problems and think people need to grow thicker skin.

However, advocating banning Muslims or calling Mexican immigrants a bunch of rapists is not what political correctness is about. People shouldn't conflate the two and say that people who are against speech meant to demonize or intimidate are being political correct.

There is a difference.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a tactic that's been used over and over again. Person 'Y' says something racist. Person 'X' says that's racist. Person 'Y' complains about how sick he is of political correctness. It's totally bogus. I'm against PC as are such well noted liberals as Dick Cavett. But I'm also against racism, and other prejudice acts, and positions.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm invoking my God given 1st amendment RIGHT to absolutely gloss over and ignore what you have written about political correctness...the tool by the liberal ELITE to take away my guns and encourage my wife to cheat on me and laugh at me with her minority friends.

1 person likes this.
  11. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Please post a link to your garbage psuedo-news faux outrage pieces. It's customary for anything posted to have a source or a link.

Were you upset about this three years ago when it happened or did this just get posted on your Facebook feed today? BTW, did you go to college because you seem to put large importance on the reporting of meaningless non stories that fit your Trump political correctness outrage nonsense.

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

This thread is about college campuses and its students going full r****d and this example is more proof of what is going on. If I find more stories like this you bet your ass I will post them. What I don't understand is why people like you are always so dismissive to a pretty known problem. Will it kill you to acknowledge it?

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So your link is... still not posted.

You determined students were going full r****d based on a three year old photoshopped image and two sentences from internet meme extraordinaire Steve Straub. Mkay. Pretty thorough analysis there. So were you upset three years ago or were you just upset tonight? Maybe a one year statute of limitations on random faux outrage photoshops would be a good rule of thumb.

People like me? Huh? People more educated than you? People that have gone to college and lived on campus? Minorities? Non Trump voters? What people are those? People that don't get their news from photoshopped Facebook posts and Internet memes?

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Those grad students who did the sit-in were being ridiculous imo, but it's not like they spoke for all minorities or grad students at UCLA, and it happened three years ago. I mean, I think that is neither a pertinent nor current example of racial hysteria triumphing on campus.

While we're discussing old race relations issues at UCLA, might as well bring up this girl:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yBxgtYfDgwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the best response video:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zulEMWj3sVA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That example you posted where 25 students protested, and a lot more came to the defense of that professor including other minority students - is a terrible example.

People who are 18-20 don't always know what they are doing - they do stupid things that don't represent or take away from the larger fight against discrimination. For you to dismiss an entire movement because of a few examples or people that are acting stupidly, says more about you than anything else.

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Racial hysteria triumphed in the state of Texas where we can now openly carry our security blankets (as long as we have a SBL).

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

There is so much reach in this thread, and I'm sure it comes from a place of frustration. It must be horrible to be a member of a party whose reputation is an embarrassment to the world, partly because of a growing appreciation and adherence towards sinister, narcissistic values.

I guess we can place some blame on Fox "News." As we all know, Fox is the dominant source of information for fringe conservatives who have difficulty deciphering the difference between news and commentary. In turn, they interpret outlandish opinions as fact. That's a dangerous path towards being misinformed. Donald Trump has been smart by following the same methods. The voters who are dangerously loyal to his campaign take his word as fact, without researching his claims.

This thread isn't about discrimination. It's just another example of party-based anger.

19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You seem to more about this story then I do so why don't you help me out and post the link.

No, I determined based on not just this incident but everyday occurrence of pathetic students making a fool out of themselves.

Racial Hysteria Triumphs on clutchfans

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

You can't be anymore wrong about this. When you have liberals that came out and speak out against this then you can't pin this on conservative/republicans "based anger". Even Obama called you guys out.