1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rachel Nichols: Breaking down Boogie Cousins' defense: Is it a problem for Warriors?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shaq2Yao, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You have a 70+ win team and you add one of the 5 best players in the NBA to them. That doesn't tip the scales that just kicks the scale over.

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't view it as cut and dry. People always view this as all or nothing. It wouldn’t have been. You don’t just eliminate Harrison Barnes, not get KD and get nothing, for example.

In a "worst case" scenario Barnes is re-signed, the roster is filled out beyond that, and Draymond doesn't kick players in the nuts.

As far last year... again, this isn't popular thinking, I get that... but I still think KD has a tendency to hurt the Warriors as much as help at times. The Rockets were up because of their defense. Part of the reason their defense was working was because it resulted in mismatches and the Warriors or at least KD thought, I have a mismatch, I've got to attack this!!! The reality is, the Warriors were at their best, in the 2nd half of Game 6 and 7, when Steph and Klay were going off, that ball movement was kicking, etc.

Don't get me wrong... on the whole KD is a plus. He produced as well. But they have a tendency to get bogged down at times, and Houston encouraged that effectively.

It's the sole reason for holding out hope this year, imo. Not only can KD do that, but now with Boogie, plus Boogie's defensive inefficiencies.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

You do bring up an excellent point that the Warriors deviated from their free flowing ball movement offense to play more iso-ball during last year's WCFs. Forgot about that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

We will just have to agree to disagree. Durant has been one of the three best players in the world and has been the Finals MVP in both his seasons with GS.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I believe in the first 24 minutes of his first Finals game with GSW, KD had six first half dunks. Six... mostly wide open dunks.
    https://247sports.com/Bolt/All-of-K...alf-dunks-against-the-Cavaliers-52988877/Amp/

I'm not too swayed one way or the other by whether he was the Finals MVP or not.

Clearly, dude is a best of a player, top whatever... just they were first in offensive rating the season before he came. They were great before. He improved their defense more than anything.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

My cousin breakin down n boogie!

7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Durant is their counter to the switch everything defense.

If they dont have Durant last year we straight up crush them.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly.

joshuaao and BigMaloe like this.
  9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think this season is their last hurrah. Too many signs of internal dissension - KD is not happy and it is clear to me that he has some dissatisfaction with the org and Kerr. The team badly mishandled Klay and his willingness to take a paycut and has now put him and his agent in a position where they will have to make sure they dont get short-changed (recent reports indicate that he wants a max contract now). Boogie has always been a lightning rod and his return to the court has hurt the teams cohesion. Looney and Jerebko are UFAs after the season and will expect substantial pay raises, and Boogie is as well and will probably want 10-20M/season. I am hopeful they lose in the playoffs and would love nothing more than to see us take them down, but even if we dont, it will be sweet to see them come down to earth after KD jets and the roster stays in salary cap hell with a team that cant get past the second round of the playoffs and ends up being more of a 3-5 seed.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

They are so scared of capela

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Boogie can only beat nuggets and thunder.

Can Draymond n bogut guard hardens lay up?

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Bogut, Cousins, Draymond, and Durant in the same locker room? What could go wrong?

clutchdabear and BamBam like this.