1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

R&R Offense or Why Set Plays are so Infrequent for the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Nov 15, 2013.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You do realize that I spent an hour digesting the first 8 out of 26 principals of R&R don't you? It is comprehensive and complex. Torbett attempted to cover everything from youth basketball to the NBA. Do not depend on the basic 10 minute YouTube video to give you an understanding of the scope of the R&R offense. Go and digest the actual content.

I have spent a year trying to digest the content of the R&R offense. So I have no qualms about telling you and HMMMMMM to go jump in a lake.

1 person likes this.
  2. bmd

bmd Member

I'm sorry you wasted your time.

It's not even worth arguing with you over it.

You are wrong, end of story. Clearly, I cannot say anything to get you to admit that.

You probably heard the Rockets were running a read and react offense, then didn't know what that was. So you went to Google and typed it in and found Torbett's system called "The Read & React Offense", and clicked on it and watched a bunch of videos about it thinking this is what the Rockets are doing, and you were dissecting the Rockets offense.

I mean, if you watched some videos on Torbett's system, and actually knew what you were watching when you are watching the Rockets play, you can tell right away it is not the same thing.

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Oh Jesus you are dense aren't you. How much more proof do you want? A signed testimonial from McHale? What more do you want?

Assistant coach Chris Finch explains the evolution of the Rockets' read-and-react offense

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/offensive

If that is not enough for you I recommend that you reassess your own posts. That is not a hoops hype post. It is not even a ESPN post. It is nba.com. Seems conclusive to me.

#43 jtr, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Spurs offense looks more like the princeton offense or a variation of it. Makes sense they have Duncan.

I think that would work well with us having Dwight. Especially if we move Asik. But our offense doesn't look anything like what the Spurs run. I actually can't figure out what we run because it's very hard to pick up on. But I am not an expert here - honestly the only offense I ever played with was the Princeton offense and that was 20 years ago!

But JTR - HMMMMMM knows what he is talking about. There's no one on this board who has a better grasp of the different offensive sets that teams run. No one. So I would say if you really want to learn something, you should listen to him. I do.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Of course I listen to HMMMMMM. I was the person who forked over the $ to make him a contributing member. And I admire him. But on this topic he is ill prepared to say the least. IMHO.

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

People suggesting McHale should be fired are largely clueless. Firing a coach who hasn't had a losing season despite being dealt an different set of cards for each of those years, in November... is an overreaction at best, but stupid at the worst.

It's not far off from the calls to have Spolstra fired during their first losing streak, during their second losing streak, after losing in the Championship, etc... Save your breath, save your fingers, he's not going anywhere soon.

7. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Methinks our offense is working just fine, and just wish our players can get healthy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>'<a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets">@HoustonRockets</a> (5th in OffRtg, 106.0) avoiding the less-efficient midrange zone. Avg. just 9.0 Midrange attempts. League avg. is 22.9</p>&mdash; NBA.com/Stats (@nbastats) <a href="https://twitter.com/nbastats/statuses/402176780209250304">November 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok. Well, I'll leave it to yall to debate then.

Still, I find it hard to believe that any NBA team would run an offense featured in late night infomercials that you buy a DVD for $20 bucks.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I honestly do not know what more I can do to make a case on this forum. I have cited direct quotes from the Rockets coaching staff and D. Rose of the Bulls. I have pointed to the numerous explicit articles available from any simple Google search. What do people want? A giant hand of god writing the fiery facts in the sky?

10. PatBeverleyFan

Yes...............................

1 person likes this.
  11. bmd

bmd Member

Okay, I'll make this real simple for you.

Rick Torbett, the guy who created his offensive system and named it "The Read & React Offense" says: "I left this player (pointing to the point guard) with no decision. When this player passes (referring to the PG), this player MUST basket cut. No decision. You got one thing to do, and that's to try to get the ball back on a basket cut." 5:15 of video.

"If you hear a coach say that this player (pointing to the guy with the ball), when they pass, doesn't have to cut, I'm letting them decide whether to cut or not.. rest assured, it's not THE Read and React. Maybe they should call it something else, but it's NOT the Read and React. If they never have this player (guy with the ball) cutting to the basket, they never get in here (pointing to the lane) and make a decision. Every time the ball moves, someone is being sent into the decision box (aka the lane)." 11:50 of the video.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g22S0Z2WA2o

Okay, now that you know that... tell me this... how many times do you see players on the Rockets cutting through the lane without the ball? Basket cutting is the #1 element of Torbett's Read and React System.

It's nothing like what the Rockets are running.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I have only re-watched 3 of the Rockets games so far. And I am terrible at analyzing the first view. But I would guess every 15-20 or so seconds on offense. But that of course is just my impression. I have not charted it.

#52 jtr, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  13. bmd

bmd Member

That is so far off it's not even funny. Here, to make it easy for you, I went back and re-watched the first quarter of the Rockets vs. Knicks, and here is the number of basket cuts I counted:

2 basket cuts. One by T. Jones. and one by Beverley.

And T. Jones' wasn't after a pass like Torbett says you must do.

It is not even close to Torbett's system.

14. bmd

bmd Member

With Torbett's system, there would be several basket cuts every time down the floor. Every time a player passes the ball, he must cut to the basket. No decisions.

Do you see the Rockets making a basket cut after every pass? No, you don't.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I am willing to go back and review tape. But it is late and I will get back to you tomorrow. Very good question by the way.

16. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Read and react isn't just basket cuts, their are different variations that can be Inputted depending on who you have to work with, my old coach tried to make us run it (though very very basic) and can say it didn't have to do with basket cuts the whole time

17. bmd

bmd Member

To paraphrase Torbett: you must basket cut. If a coach says you don't have to basket cut, it's NOT the Read and React.

The whole point of the offense is to get into the "decision box" aka the paint. To do that, he demands a basket cut after a pass.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Sigh. I do not believe that Torbett was setting out dogma for NBA teams. R&R is completely flexible. But I have not digested the last 14 lessons in his manual.

19. bmd

bmd Member

Now you are just making stuff up. He was very clear in what he said.

1 person likes this.
  20. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

interesting if he said that, our coach must of developed a hybrid because basket cuts were not the priority no.1 when we ran it.

I imagine the R&R ran around colleges, highschools and NBA all have thier own spin depending one the coach and what they think are effective.