1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

R.I. Gov. Chafee, plans to become a Democrat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jun 3, 2013.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

R.I. Gov. Chafee, an independent who was a Republican, plans to become a Democrat

Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee, an independent, has notified senior Democratic officials that he intends to switch his registration to the Democratic Party before an expected tough re-election fight in 2014.

The Democratic National Committee released a statement from President Barack Obama praising Chafee as “an independent thinker and leader who’s unafraid to reach across party lines to get things done.”

Obama added, “I’m thrilled to welcome Linc to the party of Jefferson and Jackson, Roosevelt and Kennedy, and I look forward to working with him in the years ahead."

Chafee, who served in the Senate as a Republican from 1999 to 2006, switched his party affiliation to independent in 2007 and was elected to the Rhode Island governor’s office in 2010. He won a three-way race that year with just 36 percent of the vote.

Chafee has openly considered making the switch to the Democratic Party since 2011. He had a distinctly liberal voting record as a Republican in the Senate and was the only member of the GOP to vote against the Iraq War. He also campaigned for Obama in 2008 and 2012.

link

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

OH MY GOD

3. KingCheetah

I believe the term as the kids would say it is ZOMG!

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

So the trade was a 60+ year old black democrat from Louisiana to the GOP for the governor of RI. Is this right? Will there be a player to be named later? Cash consideration?

1 person likes this.
  5. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Always always cash considerations with politics

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

AY DIOS MIO

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

So one of the most unpopular governors in the US figured out that the only way to win re-election is going through the Democratic primary since as it stands now he's about to get trounced by pretty much anyone who wins the Democratic nomination.

Color me shocked.

That said, I like Lincoln Chaffee. He just turned out to be a terrible governor. He shouldve done a party switch in 2006. He probably wouldve kept his US Senate seat if he did.

9. KingCheetah

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xECUrlnXCqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He doesn't balance out the loss of Lautenberg, but the gentleman is certainly welcome to join the Party.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hope he gets blown out in the Dem primary.