1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

R. Fernandez wants to go home.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocketboi, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

http://dimemag.com/2010/07/rudy-fernandez-tells-portland-to-send-him-home/#more-50079

Rudy Fernandez wants to go home. In a case of receiving too much, too soon, the Portland shooting guard told El Mundo Deportivo, “If I could reach an agreement with Portland, so that they would not trade me to another NBA team and they would accept my return to Europe, I’d be pleased.”

He went on to add, “My agents are looking for the best trade for me, but at the end of the day only Portland can decide.”

Before he came to the NBA, Fernandez was drawing comparisons to another unusual foreign wing player in Manu Ginobili. Fernandez racked up a lot of individual accomplishments with DKV Joventut of the Spanish ACB League and really shot to stardom with 22 points in the gold medal game at the 2008 Olympics against the Redeem Team. In his final season in Europe, Fernandez dropped 16.1 points a game.

Expectations were high for him during a period when the prospects of the Blazers were even higher. Portland’s GM at the time, Kevin Pritchard, called him a “tremendous prospect who has excelled at the highest levels of international basketball.”

Looking back, Fernandez was a victim of his own hype. He not only never lived up to the player he was supposed to be – in two seasons, Fernandez was basically a three-point shooter (though he did set a rookie season record by making 159 threes) – but he was also thrust into a bad situation.

Portland was loaded at the wing position the last few seasons with people like Brandon Roy, Travis Outlaw, Martell Webster and Nicolas Batum. There just wasn’t enough PT to go around. And it’s tough to get burn when the team’s best player mans the same position as you.

Fernandez’s name came up in a lot of trade talks this offseason, including some rumblings he wanted to go to New York to play under Mike D’Antoni.

He never really developed into the star many pinned him to be, though some of that assuredly had to do with Portland’s roster. Now, it sounds like Fernandez wants to return to Spain to rekindle that aura.

2. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Yeah he doesn't sound like a guy I'd want to go after.

We'd have alot of key players at key positions then BAM! Off to europe.

Oh yeah, before someone else does it...

BAM!!

Signed,
    [​IMG]

3. playlife

playlife Member

Vspan 2.0?

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no. Rudy is actually good.

5. sbyang

sbyang Member

He had his chance to prove himself last year when Roy went down. He would have earned a big contract if he performed well. Instead he played like crap and continues to whine.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he meant Rudy equals Vspan in homesickness.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't blame him. I mean, in Spain he's Brandon Roy.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I would rather have this guy than that gay guy

9. alcatrazpsycho

Portland keeps repeating history. First Greg Oden turns out to be the next Sam Bowie... okay guys, let's try this next analogy.

Rudy Fernandez is to Brandon Roy as *BLANK* is to Clyde Drexler.

Hint: He got traded to the Nets.

1 person likes this.
  10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Guys just want to play, sometimes they don't fit a particular team.

I can't blame him for wanting to start, he probably would on some teams....but you only get so long as an NBA or Professional player, you might as well do whatever you think is best for your own career......

DD

12. worzel gummidge

If Przybilla has a career ending injury is his contract more valuable than Battier's as a trade asset?

Fernandez + Przybilla (expiring & insurance covers 80% of salary if done) + rights to Freeland for Battier
    Rockets buyout Fernandez for $0, stipulation he returns to Europe

Gives better odds if Rockets hedging their bets?

1) Trade Przybilla to under the cap team

Przybilla (80% insur.) + $3M = cash profit for other team

Rockets team salary: $71,977,084 + Luis's salary
    * includes max incentives for Hayes

LT threshold: $70.307M

Battier + Andersen + Taylor = $10,710,371

Possible to get under tax if Luis's salary + $1,670,084 < $10.71M

OR if a star becomes available

2a) Brooks + Hill + Patterson + Przybilla (80% insur.) + Jeffries for CP3 + Okafor

2b) ...for Granger + Ford/Dunleavy

2c) ???... for Melo

Rockets can add draft picks, rights, and even Fernandez (if off-season trade) to make their offer more attractive.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Send him back. Rudy is just too soft and too much of a butterfly. He can shoot, make some creative passes, a few steals, etc, but he needs to go. Maybe D'Antoni could make good use of him since defense and toughness wouldn't be required.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think I know the answer, check you're reputation, that's where I answered it.

1 person likes this.
  15. Jontro

Jontro Member

He was the tight sauce in last year's dunk contest.

Besides that, let him go, but don't renegotiate the contract or buy him out. What a p**** thing to do. If he's unhappy, then tough cookie. Make him leave the remainder of what he is owed on the table and he can walk away.

Wasn't even that great in Live.

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd say it's Vspan 3.0

Vspan 2.0 was Juan Carlos Navarro

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have said the same thing.

Drazen Petrovic

DD

1 person likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

One day he'll tell the overseas press, I want to come home! The next day, he'll be telling the U.S. press how much he loves playing in the NBA. Even recently made a wish list of teams!

As Carlos Lee said, just [take your ball and] go home.

19. Asian Sensation

Ive posted quite a bit on Rudy F in the past so I won't beat the dead horse by going too much into detail on why he's not succeeded or not tasted as much success as expected but in short he's NEVER been the same since the flagrant foul by Trevor Ariza.

The guy basically got a rockstar welcome from Portland fans who were chanting "Rudy" and greeting him since the moment he got off the plane. He showed flashes of becoming a stud in the league. He was athletic, crafty, scrappy, a knockdown shooter, looked to be a great fit in the NBA right away and he was about as smooth as one could get.

Ever since the foul he's played like a poon. Plain and simple. No aggressiveness, very hesitant, blaming others and complaining.

One other sidenote that didn't help. Sergio Rodriguez was his BFF here in Portland. They were even roomates at one time. I know it was hard for Rudy when Sergio left.

It's not surprising someone that sensitive and emotional would want to go back home.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Waaaah waaaah waaah. Shut the heck up already geez. He has become a bigger girl than T-Mac. I wonder if his dad calls Nate McMillan demanding his son get more minutes. Roy went down last year, did Fernandez step up?

1 person likes this.