1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

r****d

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by emjohn, Mar 6, 2013.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

jesus.

train wreck of a thread.

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

It has everything to do with everything. Where do you think people get the idea to use the term r****d (or any other word) the way it is? You honestly don't think TV and Movies have an effect on society? You must be one close minded person. I personally do not care if someone wants to use the word in a joking matter. That is their prerogative. Who is anyone to tell anyone what they can and cannot do. Last I checked, we don't live in China.

3. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I know you have strong opinions on this subject but you've been going full blast at everyone who has a different opinion than you. It didn't matter if they were totally trolling or even just slightly disagreeing with you.
    You've come off as a huge ass.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm actually somewhat surprised....if not mildly impressed by how it's gone. I knew full well when I was emailing Clutch beforehand about posting it that there was going to be a wave of infantile grade school posts. This isn't a message that's received especially well just about anywhere. I honestly expected to this to fall off page 1 and into Hangout purgatory within two hours.

I am impressed with the number of more mature posters that stood up for what they felt in a civil manner, and those that did not share the same view but also discussed it reasonably.

I hoped to make my points clear, but I realize(d) that many were going to catch a glance of the topic and run with it. Only speaking for myself, I'm not hoping to see the word "eradicated from the dictionary." What I would like to see is more people be cautious and considerate in how they use it. You don't have to be uber-PC to understand that stuff like this is wrong:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I highly approve of Romney's decision to be kind and gentle to the r****d.</p>&mdash; Ann Coulter (@AnnCoulter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/status/260581147493412865">October 23, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

...and yet it happens all the time, including on these boards:
    Again, I only speak for myself here, but I don't have as much of an issue with someone calling an idea or notion r****ded as I do slamming it on a person or using it as a punchline. No desire to point-by-point respond to the litany of weak justifications filling up this thread, but some things should just be common sense.

I get that a majority of folks are defensive about this and I get that there's a lot of effort to rationalize it. In the end, I'm not the moral police. You don't have to answer to me, any other posters, any advocacy groups, anyone. No one's taking away your freedom to say anything you want.

The entire purpose of my original post was to give at least a few people a different perspective on the word and its impact. I know that 99% time, people use it without intended offense to people with intellectual disabilities. I'm not here to accuse a single person of being a bad person over it, with the possible exception of the 13-year old trolls who think it's hilarious to throw it in the face of an obviously affected and hurt parent.

It's just something to think about as time goes on.

1 person likes this.
  5. Granville

Granville Member

The fact that what he said wasn't offensive to you makes you look like an insensitive ass. Worry about yourself

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I feel sorry for your son. Not because of his condition but because of his ******* dad.

7. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^(emjohn)I can appreciate your passion for this and I am grateful that you have taken the time to share how you feel.

In my opinion, it all boils down to what you alluded to in your original post.

Those that feel the need to use this term to put down another human being are in fact just being simple minded. When I read or hear someone use it as an insult, I immediately think less of that person. An observation shared by many others that I know.

8. LivinLikeLarry

As a matter of fact I do, do you?? In the first post I put into this thread I said, "While I do agree that people should try to use the word less, it won't go away..." I myself never say the word as it can definitely be taken offensively and is just a stupid insult to say. And honestly yes, unfortunately society being a bit more respectful and polite IS a fantasy these days, as you can see 25% of the posts here just say something along the lines of "Thats r****ded".

Point and fact, what I'm trying to say is these awareness days and all the recognition they get just bring the worse out in some people, causing huge heated debates and sparking some people to outright call the day "r****ded" and even make some people use the insult more. I understand the OP and a lot of posters in this thread want the word removed, but unfortunately in society it is fantasy. Sorry if I somehow offended you.

9. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

clap.gif

10. Granville

Granville Member

Again....your opinion of me doesn't mean squat since you bared your ugly ass soul for all to see. I can be in your mind whatever you want me to be because I now know what you represent and I want nothing to do with people like you. People like you walk through life with your head up your ass thinking misfortune won't come your way. Misfortune came my son's way, he makes the best of what he's been given and he's a warrior. He inspires me and others who know him. He's a hero to a lot of people. I got his back and if it means pissing off punks like you, so be it.

My son doesn't need your sympathy as his condition doesn't allow him to understand that people like you exist. If there's a shining light connected with Autism that's it.

When you grow up and that's highly unlikely, you might figure out that comparing the behaviorial traits of people who have the abiliity to know right from wrong and choose to act like a fool to those who have a condition that severely hampers their ability to process thoughts and emotions is dispicable. You won't figure that out either because you don't have a soul or the world is about you in your mind. I figure the latter or you'd be hanging your head in shame about now.

God bless you anyway, you need some help too because it appears your emotions and ability to process information have restrictions too.

11. Granville

Granville Member

If this thread was 10 years ago, the 25% number would have been 75%. Things are moving in a better direction whether it be people cutting down on hurling racial slurs, gay jokes or making fun of special needs people. I don't think it's a fantasy that awareness and understanding of the misuse of this term reduces the number of people who use it. We have seen change in other areas and we will here someday despite the 25% you referenced here.

12. Granville

Granville Member

I'm not worried about your character. You are who you are. I don't have to know you to know that what you said reeks of someone who is a pretty shallow thinker.

The fact that you bring up TV as your moral compass is utterly hysterical. Did you e-mail The Situation and get his take on the subject? The people that I know and work with wouldn't think of using the term in the manner that you did. Of course they are responsible adults....

13. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

but it;s okay for you to dump on Mayzar? Somehow, that is comedically acceptable?

14. Granville

Granville Member

You know, my bad. I apologize to Mayzar and whomever I offended.

15. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

My respects.