1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Quite Frankly"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Jul 17, 2005.

Tags:
  1. drapg

drapg Member

How the hell did Stephen A. Smith get his own show on ESPN?

Its the end of the world as we know it.

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

"Quite Frankly I Don't Give A Damn!"

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I find Smith and all the rest of the talking heads on ESPN entertaining. I think some of you guys take them too seriously.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I think some of them, including SAS, take themselves too seriously.

5. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Quite Frankly, thats just 30 minutes to an hour more of my time doing better things than watching television.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They have to be somewhat entertaining. I see no difference in them and a guy like Calvin Murphy. A lot of people on this site love Calvin for the same reasons they hate the ESPN guys. They're loud and obnoxious, but people watch.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Calvin is loud and funny and knows basketball (he also twirls batton, break dances, and is a hall of famer).

Steven A Smith, Greg Anthony, Tim Legler and the ESPN crew all just suck. They're not entertaining, imo. But, it's just my opinion. They yell and they're observatioins are simplistic and many times wrong.

If you can't be knowledgeable, at least be entertaining (cause that what TNT is with Chuck, Magic, Kenny, and EJ). I mean seriously, how can anyone choose the ESPN guys over the TNT guys? The TNT guys are funnier and now much more about hoops, and have much more credentials. The Chuckster is loud and obnoxious, but also funny.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I have never heard anything insightful from the TNT crew. Just because Barkley and Magic have had great careers, it doesn't translate into analysis. Barkley's whole analysis of the NBA is everyone outside of Shaq, Duncan, and Garnett sucks.

Anyway, I was referring to all the talking heads on ESPN, all their shows, PTI, Around the Horn, Cold Pizza, I here complaints about them all the time.

9. drapg

drapg Member

I freakin' love all the talking head shows on ESPN... except for "Rome is Burning."

I really wish that guy would just quietly go away.

10. leehoang

leehoang Member

Stephen A. Smith > Tim Legler + Greg Anthony

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Anybody with a middle initial (that they use) takes himself/herself too seriously.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Barkley on Kendrick Perkins missing a late free throw in the playoffs (when Paul Pierce got ejected on a foul call and couldn't shoot so Rick Carlisle chose Perkins) : "He was so tight, you couldn't stick a pin up ass"

How is that not insightful? :D

I didn't say they were great (the only analysis on tv is a weekly show on NBAtv, i forgot the name, but they break down nbdl players, show film, analyze their footwork and positioning), but at least TNT is entertaining...just my opinion.

Besides, the TNT show is the one all the NBA players watch. Just from the playoffs, you could tell the players know everything Chuck and Magic and Kenny say..it's like always on in the locker room. Even coach Eddie Jordan of the Wizzards watched during half time of his own game and basically said Chuck is wrong about his criticism and then Chuck said kiss my ass. Come on. Now way ESPN can top that.

13. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

He is watching the halftime report to figure out what adjustments he has to make for the second half? If only all the coaches were as smart as he was, they could get swept too.

14. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Even more a reason for me not to watch ESPN. I already don't watch it because of his previous amount of airtime.... Now this just sealed the deal.

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I find SAS to be quite frankly, annoying and ignorant.

16. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

The funny thing is before he was on ESPN, SAS was the NBA voice on TBDSSP on FOX. He hardly ever got loud and screamed like he does now. He occasionally got loud with Tom Arnold, but nothing like he does now.

As soon as he got to ESPN, he immediately had this hard-ass mentality and when he opens his mouth automatically gets louder and louder as he goes, until you have to turn the volume down on the television. Its funny because you can definitely tell (or maybe its just me) that Greg Anthony gets really annoyed with SAS when they are on the set. Many times I've seen GA roll his eyes and the camera pans away from him as SAS starts his loud rant.

As for Legler, he lost all credibility with me when he started complaining and calling out players for not playing defense. All Legler did was stand behind the three-point line and shoot and played matador on the defensive end.

17. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

George W. Bush, perhaps?

:eek: ;) :D

18. drapg

drapg Member

Sean Salisbury has mentioned that SAS' real life persona is NOTHING like his TV character. In real life, he is very quiet, subdued, and even shy. People hardly notice when he's in a room. But as soon as a camera or mic is in front of him, he does a complete 180 and startles the hell outta everyone.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Exactly, plus he dresses so cool...

SAS is a joke, period...