1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Quick question about upgrading RAM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mathloom, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Hi,

Assuming I have this laptop:

* Intel Core i7-740QM Quad-Core Processor 1.73GHz with turbo boost up to 2.93GHz
    * 4GB of DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM, 3 slots, 12GB Max; Nvidia GT425M graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM
    * 500GB Hard Drive (7200 RPM); Super-Multi Optical Disk Drive; Wi-Fi 802.11 bgn
    * HDMI Port; USB 3.0 port; Bluetooth; 2.0MP Webcam; eSATA; 5-in-1 card reader
    * 17.3-Inch HD+ (1600x900) LED Display; Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) Operating System

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046HAP76/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

.. and I want to upgrade to better and more RAM (1333 DDR3)...

1) Do you have a brand recommendation? Corsair? Crucial?

2) Can windows 7 64 bit actually handle 12GB?

3) Lastly, for someone who won't do any gaming, but will focus heavily on many many social media apps, multimedia and some multimedia editing software, would you go for 6GB, 8GB, 12GB or ?

4) Where's the best place/price online?

Any comments/experiences about the laptop itself is appreciated too. A friend is buying this laptop but his knowledge of these things is extremely low, so I figured I'd at least try getting him a good value laptop since he was going to shell out over $1k without knowing what he's getting.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yes....64bit OS can handle it.

4GB should be enough, if you want to upgrade 8GB would be more than you need. More than likely you have 2x2GB cards in your memory slots already. So, take that into consideration if you are thinking about upgrading.

For parts online....

NewEgg.com
    Tigerdirect.com

Not that it helps now, but Newegg just had 15% off all RAM....I think it ended though.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Multimedia editing apps will use all the RAM you give them. They love it. So, yeah, I'd bump it up.

As Uprising states, you probably only have one slot left. Buy the biggest one you can afford. Corsair is fine. Although I think there are new players. Read the reviews.

I'd recommend getting the same specs as your current RAM: DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM. Although I think MBs are better at allowing mixing and matching now. But don't mix if you don't have to.

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

All you need is another 1 stick of 2GB of DDR3 1066MHz and you should be fine. There's hardly any speed improvement with the 1333MHz especially on a laptop since overclocking isn't recommended.